Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Fan 960 Interviews

Since Fan960 is one of the few places releasing completely new content right now I think it makes sense to have a thread to talk about their interviews as they post them.

Here's a backlog of flames-related interviews, some of them are pretty interesting. I'm pretty sure there's a more complete list out there somewhere, but I couldn't find it tonight.

They posted an interview with Corey Potter today. He says he wants to assume a leadership role this season and he feels that he can compete for a roster spot at camp. It will be interesting to see whether or not he can actually get one. At the very least he'll probably get some injury call-up time during the season.

His second daughter was born last week too, so that's nice.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Fan had Brad Treliving on today talking penticton/prospects.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Booooo

Just create a new thread every time there's a new interview. The ultimate official all-in-one threads are tiring.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm just trying to make a place to post content. Most of these interviews provide completely fresh perspective from people who actually work within the flames organization and a lot of them don't get posted/discussed on here. A lot of the interviews also aren't really good enough to support their own thread. (E.g. the Corey Potter one) but I figured that some fans would like to hear the interview. Especially at this time of year.

I figured a big thread would just be a good place to post interviews, important and not important, as they come up. Even if there's no discussion going on about them some people might enjoy knowing that there was a 20+ minute interview with Treliving posted today.

I'll let the thread die now, I just thought it would be a good thing to have on the forum.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meh. Let the more interesting interviews generate their own thread, and leave this one for the catch all
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I don't mean to crap on you, just the "official everything" threads in general. I've never understood why people don't just create a new thread to discuss each topic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Debaser can you give us a synopsis of the Treliving interview for those of us who can't listen to it?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

nvm
Old 09-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Debaser can you give us a synopsis of the Treliving interview for those of us who can't listen to it?
Sorry man, I've got some stuff to do. I'll tell you a little bit about what I can remember though. Maybe some other user will be a bit more thorough. There's also some discussion about it going on in the penticton thread if you want to hear more about it.

Basically though, it was pretty similar to other Treliving interviews, the same old competition rhetoric and all of that.

He did say some original stuff though. He really emphasized that the organization was hoping to be surprised by some darkhorse at camp. That they were ready to be surprised by somebody.

When asked about whether or not opportunities for young guys were being blocked by new additions he gave the same rhetoric about the minors never ruining players, but he went on to say that if a player is ready come December/January, they were prepared to move players for assets to create roster spots.

He also said that the Flames are being "aggressive" in trying to trade cap-space for assets. He also said that he's been really trying to find ways to add A-Level talent to the organization. That fits with the Ribeiro for a 1st deal he tried to get done at the draft. It will be interesting to see whether or not he manages to accomplish something on that front.

He didn't give a timeline or anything, but he said that Tyler Wotherspoons shoulder is healing a bit faster than Poiries. (And I think someone on the flames said a while ago that Poiriers shoulder was healing faster than expected.)

I like Trelivings tone a lot, he seems very cautious about his wording, but he actually does give out interesting information, but he seems to always use good judgement about what should/should not be said. He comes across as a a guy who is trying his best to be straightforward and realistic, without getting himself into trouble the way Feaster would.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pascal and McGratton interviews on the fan today.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #11
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to chuckle at how the hosts were trying to get Backlund and Gio to call out the team chemistry under Iginla and they wouldn't bite. But when Warrener basically called the late Iginla era Flames a cliquey, country-club team where all players were not equally accountable, Gio agreed emphatically.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-16-2014 at 01:12 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #12
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I had to chuckle at how the hosts were trying to get Backlund and Gio to call out the team chemistry under Iginla and they wouldn't bite. But when Warrener basically called the late Iginla era Flames as a cliquey, country-club team where all players were not equally accountable, Gio agreed emphatically.
I thought the inference made by Warrener that Iggy (never said his name but it was clear who he was talking about) on occasion would tell the coach he wasn't going to be practicing today was pretty damning in the context he was talking about re: culture and the entire team being accountable, etc...
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #13
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

seriously which genius decided giving gio the C would be a good idea.

great move by the flames.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #14
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
seriously which genius decided giving gio the C would be a good idea.

great move by the flames.
A great move that not only helped form the Flames' new identity but seems to have catapulted him into the Norris conversation.

If he has a full season this year playing how he did last year, he will be a finalist.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I had to chuckle at how the hosts were trying to get Backlund and Gio to call out the team chemistry under Iginla and they wouldn't bite. But when Warrener basically called the late Iginla era Flames a cliquey, country-club team where all players were not equally accountable, Gio agreed emphatically.
Wow that was really kind of telling..... Warraner sure didn't hold back, and Gio sure didn't disagree with him either.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #16
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Wow that was really kind of telling..... Warraner sure didn't hold back, and Gio sure didn't disagree with him either.
I know it's been said that Warrener definitely had a bit of a beef with Iginla, and it could have been a bit of a rift between forwards and defense in general, as I know Regehr and Warrener were best buds in the room, a cliquey room would probably mean splitting between an Iginla group and a Regehr group, the two biggest voices on the team back then. Not anything against Iginla as a player, just maybe telling of the lack of cohesiveness in the dressing room.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote