Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default New York City - 05/09 to 05/16

Heading to NYC with the girlfriend on May 9th and am looking for some suggestions specific to that time period. I'm pretty familiar with most of the basics as I've visited a couple times and read all of the past threads. Kind of hoping one of our local NYC posters knows of things going on in mid-May that aren't quite apparent to a visitor.

Maybe some new restaurants? Concerts? Broadway shows? Comedy/music clubs? We're staying at the Grand Hyatt on 42nd St.

For sports there's Game 6 of the Heat/Knicks series on the Friday night, Game 7 of Rangers/Capitals if it gets that far on the Saturday, and the Yankees host the Rays and Mariners while we're there.

Girlfriend wants to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway, what's the most effective method of getting tickets? Also, I know it's Broadway season and I want to see something new. Any suggestions? Is Death of a Salesman with Phillip Seymour Hoffman getting good reviews? I'm also tempted to just splurge on premium tickets for Book of Mormon and would sacrifice one or more of the sporting events to do so.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If your a music lover you need to go to Strawberry fields in central park, its across the street from JL's brownstone

I think Phantom is really tough to get tickets to unless you book way ahead.

Any broadway play with Hoffman is good and I looked it up there are some very good reviews for death of a salesman.

But you're crazy if you don't go and see the Spiderman Broadway play

http://spidermanonbroadway.marvel.com/ I mean people have actually been seriously injured during this play.

You probably want to go and see the Trade Center construction site, there's a cool museum attached to the UN thats' worth seeing.

Restaurants good god too many to name, you can almost walk through little italy and find spectacular food.

Coerce your girl to take you to the Victoria Secrets superstore, now with 10% hotter staff.

Oh find the Soup Nazi from Seinfield fan, when I was there a few years ago it was busy as hell but great food.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I highly recommend taking in a Yankees game, even if your don't care for baseball. It's easy to get to on the subway and the atmosphere alone makes it worth it. Plus, it's fairly cheap...$25 each gets you decent tickets. Make sure you take the express train up there as well.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

SNL has the last live show of the season on May 12th with Will Ferrell hosting, but I imagine it is very difficult to get tickets to that.

The Village Voice is a great entertainment resource:

http://www.villagevoice.com/

Concert calendar (to die for):

http://www.villagevoice.com/events/concerts/

Last edited by troutman; 04-27-2012 at 03:16 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
BumbleBee
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For theatre experiences, The Book of Mormon and Sleep No More are truly incredible. Although, I don't know how much luck you'd have in finding tickets.

I believe that The Book of Mormon is from the creators of South Park, and it is absolutely hilarious. It's about two young Elders that go on their mission to Uganda and all hell breaks loose. I heard they're sold out for a few more months but it never hurts to see if there are some tickets out there.

http://www.bookofmormonbroadway.com/home.php

Best part of the musical:

As for Sleep No More, it's a completely different theatre experience where the audience members put on masks and walk throughout the warehouses that have been meticulously designed to create the set from Shakespeare's Macbeth. You are basically walking around with the actors.
http://sleepnomorenyc.com/

NYC is incredible! Do everything that you can in your short stay - there is ALWAYS something to do or see in NYC.
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BumbleBee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Restaurants: Go to either (or both of) Torrisi and Parm. They're right next door to each other on Mulberry just south of Prince. Torrisi is a bit more of a fine dining spot, they do a different 7 course prix fixe menu every night (they also have a lunch seating) while Parm is a bit of a throwback soda shoppe type place specializing in italian but with a few twists (the meatball parm sandwich is amazing and the calamari is the best I've ever had. I can't even talk about the mozzarella sticks without tearing up a little). If you go with Torrisi you'll want to call now to see if they have an opening as it fills up every single night, Parm is walk in only but you can put your name down and then wander around the area for a while.

There are tons of great restaurants, a good source is the New York page on eater.com. They have these "restaurant heat maps" of all of the places that are considered the go to spots at the moment.

Concerts: There are always a ton of shows in NYC, and it seems like there are more than usual right now. Just did a quick search on Pollstar and some notable (to me at least) shows include Active Child (with Band of Skulls who are great live) and M83. There are tons more, and pollstar isn't always inclusive, but here's the link http://www.pollstar.com/resultsCity....new+york%2c+ny

Broadway: I haven't been to Phantom, but I don't think it's that hard to get. I had friends come into town a couple years ago and get tickets pretty easily. Book of Mormon is obviously the hottest show in town right now, and everyone I know who has been has loved it. I saw How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying recently and enjoyed it, but it was a little slow.

You can get discounted same day tickets at the TKTS booth in Times Sq (I've heard there's one in Brooklyn too, with way shorter lines) but you're sort of at the mercy of what comes available that night.

Sporting Events: Yankees games are a good time, and it's typically pretty easy to get cheap tickets in May, especially for weekday games. It's an easy trip, just take the 4 train to the Yankee Stadium stop. There are three good pre/post game bars up there, Billy's and Stan's (I think it's Stan's) and the Yankee Tavern. Billy's is the biggest, nad after weekend games part of it turns into the weirdest Staten Island/Jersey Shore dance party. It's the best people watching I've ever done.

Rangers and Knicks playoff tickets will be steep, especially later in a series. Tickets for last nights game 7 were going for $300 minimum, for game 7 of the second round I'd expect you'd be looking at $500 for 400 level seats. Knicks tickets are always steep, and if they've pushed the Heat to 6 I'd expect they'll be in the same range.

The Devils will also be hosting game 6 (assuming it gets that far) while you're in town. Devils tickets are much easier to come by and The Pru Center is literally 15 minutes from MSG and incredibly easy to get to.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sleep No More looks super cool and creepy. Just booked that for Friday night.

There are tons of Phantom tickets available for all dates so not worried about that.

Hockey and Basketball games will be too expensive. Probably just stick with the Yankees game, there will be plenty of other things to see and do.

Anyone know how much a 7-day Subway pass costs?

As far as Jazz and Comedy clubs go, any suggestions?

Valo thanks for your post. Anything else you care to share about NYC or the boroughs would be much appreciated. Your knowledge is awesome.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

go to little italy. get some gelato, eat at some of the bakeries, and most importantly go to lombardis. best pizza in new york.
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Anyone know how much a 7-day Subway pass costs?
$29. http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#unlimited
Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #11
Speros
Draft Pick

This may be a little bit out of your way but one the highlights of my trip was a cool park called the High Line. It was an old elevated freight line that was converted into a park. It is free and was quite a lovely to walk, also it was pretty cool to see some creative urban planning. http://www.thehighline.org/

I will also add that Book of Mormon is amazing, especially if you like the humor of South Park.

Last edited by Speros; 04-29-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Speros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
drewboy12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Malcolm watch Anthony Bourdains "The Layover NYC" before you go...
Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There are a lot of building that have top level observation areas, seeing Manhatten from way above is actually really breath taking.

One of the real weird highlights was actually flying into LaGuardia (sp?) because the arrival runway extends out over water so it almost looks like your going into the drink before you set down, Its almost like a carrier landing.

Another real cool thing is when your departing which usually takes a while and you can see the private jet holding areas its almost like Trump has his own Lear Jet airforce.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There are a lot of building that have top level observation areas, seeing Manhatten from way above is actually really breath taking.

One of the real weird highlights was actually flying into LaGuardia (sp?) because the arrival runway extends out over water so it almost looks like your going into the drink before you set down, Its almost like a carrier landing.

Another real cool thing is when your departing which usually takes a while and you can see the private jet holding areas its almost like Trump has his own Lear Jet airforce.
I'd suggest going to Top of the Rock over the Empire State Building. You can book your time at the rock, so no waiting in stupid long lines with a bunch of mouth breathing Midwesterners.

The elevator also has a glass ceiling (at least it did a few years ago) which really opens the door for a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in joke.

Another couple of things I thought of, if you're looking for cool cocktail spots check out BoBo and Highlands in the West Village. Both are pretty easy to get a seat in relative to some of the more trendy spots and make really good cocktails with a lot of fresh ingredients. The beer garden at the standard hotel is a great time, although it can fill up on nice weekend days. There are obviously tons of other places too, I often use nymag.com for reviews.

I'll second the High Line as a must see, it's a really cool feature and not at all difficult to get to.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Peanut butter and co as well.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pick-up Frommer's "24 walks in New York" book. My wife and I did this during one of our visits. Each walk starts at a particular subway station, lasts anywhere between 30min - 2hrs, and points out some great buildings, spots and sights that you may never see on your own. (If you want to borrow the book, PM me).

There's a TKTS booth by the South Street Seaport. Look it up on Google maps. Much less crowded than Times Square and you'll find the same tickets available. If you have an iPhone, download the TKTS app. It will save you some time.

Hell's Kitchen has some great restaurants. Italian, Greek, Chinese, Indian etc. very reasonable and authentic.

Take the ferry across the Hudson to Jersey City. You can walk the boardwalk and enjoy great views of Manhattan. Round trip (from memory) is about $10-12??

You won't get SNL tickets. They typically sell out the season well in advance. You can lineup for dress rehearsal tickets, but probably want to spend your time more wisely.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to the Breslin; get a lamb burger; rejoice.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #18
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Pick-up Frommer's "24 walks in New York" book. My wife and I did this during one of our visits. Each walk starts at a particular subway station, lasts anywhere between 30min - 2hrs, and points out some great buildings, spots and sights that you may never see on your own. (If you want to borrow the book, PM me).

There's a TKTS booth by the South Street Seaport. Look it up on Google maps. Much less crowded than Times Square and you'll find the same tickets available. If you have an iPhone, download the TKTS app. It will save you some time.

Hell's Kitchen has some great restaurants. Italian, Greek, Chinese, Indian etc. very reasonable and authentic.

Take the ferry across the Hudson to Jersey City. You can walk the boardwalk and enjoy great views of Manhattan. Round trip (from memory) is about $10-12??

You won't get SNL tickets. They typically sell out the season well in advance. You can lineup for dress rehearsal tickets, but probably want to spend your time more wisely.
Tickets pop up on craigslist occasionally, I've never gone after them though so no idea if they're legit.

I might have to look into that book, there's probably a ton of stuff I walk by every day and have no idea as to its significance.
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
JBR
Old 04-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #19
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the SNL tip. I will definitely look the next time I visit..!!
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Shake Shack - good burgers

Babbo - Chef Mario Batali's restaurant. Try the tasting menu with wine pairings and also the grilled pork chops (best pork chop i've ever tasted)
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote