Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2022, 12:53 PM   #321
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Ya unfortunately Louise early season isn't really worth it until they're done with the race.

(and yes, they inject water to make the course faster!)
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:32 PM   #322
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ this is our second year with a pass. Last year we did have a chance to get out until the fist week of december, and they had a lot more snow.

Yikes, i cant imagine skiing at 130kph on what is almost sheer ice
Old 12-05-2022, 01:36 PM   #323
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ this is our second year with a pass. Last year we did have a chance to get out until the fist week of december, and they had a lot more snow.

Yeah there was a gigantic dump on December 1/2 last year, plus some good snow even on November 28 (just looking through photos from last year because I remember the season starting out awesome as well).
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:59 PM   #324
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
It nuts what down hill skiers can do

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:03 PM   #325
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

We should put on skin-tight onesies and see if we can go that fast.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:18 PM   #326
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
We should put on skin-tight onesies and see if we can go that fast.
I wouldn't recommend that, but if you do make sure your life insurance is up to date and you film it.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:45 PM   #327
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know I've hit at least 100 on the Mens downhill. Also forgot to adjust the dins once and blew out at ~80-90. That was a looooong slide. I'm way too old and fragile for that now.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:09 PM   #328
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Lower Meadowlark is my go-to for speed runs, but I've never cracked 100 that I know of. Fasted recorded was 90.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #329
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I know I've hit at least 100 on the Mens downhill. Also forgot to adjust the dins once and blew out at ~80-90. That was a looooong slide. I'm way too old and fragile for that now.
I looooooved straightlining that starting slope....carrying so much speed that you can fly what feels like a tremendous distance over the first roller at the snow fences without going so high that it feels that scary.

I feel like there haven't been as many opportunities to do it in recent years...maybe I just don't get out enough in the weeks following the races.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:47 PM   #330
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lower Meadowlark is my go-to for speed runs, but I've never cracked 100 that I know of. Fasted recorded was 90.
It's fun, but I always scare myself on Upper Meadowlark where the trees start to feel way too close, then my legs are on fire by Lower Meadowlark. But carrying ####-me speed down that pitch, then straight lining for the roller as the trail turns right will never get tired for me. So much fun flying off of that.

Years ago I went too fast on my Rossi 9SM's with the foam cores down Meadowlark. Those things somehow turn to butter at speed, and get truly terrifying, like half cooked fettuccine under your feet. I think that was the day I retired them.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2022, 09:04 PM   #331
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today - Saturday dec 17 - I thought lake Louise was in fantastic shape and I really enjoyed my ski day.

Skied the front side ( I like groomers and cruising). Lift lineups were short all day and in 15 runs, we shared the lift once.

It was snowing from mid-mtn down.
Old 12-18-2022, 09:19 AM   #332
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone skied whitefish in recent years? Going in Feb. used to get passes from Costco but I don’t think they do them anymore. Any suggestions?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 09:52 PM   #333
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

So questions. My kids are mostly blue/green riders. We were thinking one day at Nakiska and one at sunshine. I've never been to sunshine. Just checking maps of both, it looks like you have to take the gondola to get to sunshine? Its 2 peaks?

We usually go to Marmont and my kids do the greens and some blues we went to the knob once and that was extreme enough for us haha. I am also taking my nephew and niece who are about the same level. We have 2 days of snowboarding for sure. (my other nephew is playing in the macs tourney)
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 05:32 PM   #334
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
So questions. My kids are mostly blue/green riders. We were thinking one day at Nakiska and one at sunshine. I've never been to sunshine. Just checking maps of both, it looks like you have to take the gondola to get to sunshine? Its 2 peaks?

We usually go to Marmont and my kids do the greens and some blues we went to the knob once and that was extreme enough for us haha. I am also taking my nephew and niece who are about the same level. We have 2 days of snowboarding for sure. (my other nephew is playing in the macs tourney)
Yes, you take a gondola from the parking lot. At the end of the day, you can take the ski out instead of gondola'ing back down.

The first stop is goat's eye (blacks) so you'll want to get off in the village (second stop). Lots of blues and greens there that your kids will enjoy. For a bigger run, try the continental divide chair that takes you all the way to BC!

If the kids want to try goat's eye after a morning in the village there's a blue called sunshine coast that's usually groomed.

Last edited by Flames0910; 12-19-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 05:39 PM   #335
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Yes, you take a gondola from the parking lot. At the end of the day, you can take the ski out instead of gondola'ing back down.

The first stop is goat's eye (blacks) so you'll want to get off in the village (second stop). Lots of blues and greens there that your kids will enjoy. For a bigger run, try the continental divide chair that takes you all the way to BC!

If the kids want to try goat's eye after a morning in the village there's a blue called sunshine coast that's usually groomed.
There is also the Wolverine chair just up from Goat's Eye that has some decent green/blue runs and is generally less busy than the three main green chairs at the lodge.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:48 PM   #336
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone skied whitefish in recent years? Going in Feb. used to get passes from Costco but I don’t think they do them anymore. Any suggestions?
Costco in kalispell?
Old 12-20-2022, 07:10 PM   #337
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
There is also the Wolverine chair just up from Goat's Eye that has some decent green/blue runs and is generally less busy than the three main green chairs at the lodge.
Thanks!!
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:05 PM   #338
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were planning on hitting up lake Louise tomorrow, but with the low overnights temps, we will wait until Boxing Day.

I was leery about doing the 4 hour drive for just a few hours of skiing if they were really slow opening the lifts
Old 12-22-2022, 09:37 PM   #339
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've never been to Sunshine on Christmas day, what is it like?

All lifts running? All buildings open?

How many people compared to a usual Sat/Sun?
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 07:45 AM   #340
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I've never been to Sunshine on Christmas day, what is it like?

All lifts running? All buildings open?

How many people compared to a usual Sat/Sun?
Usually pretty dead. Everything is open if it isn’t really cold.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote