Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2023, 03:10 PM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
For myself and I think many others, the sell was the Cinematography that was veing hyped for Top Gun. I'm not sure many were hyped on the story.

Bah, in any case, the hype was insane and the Cinematography blew everything away.
And now we're watching Terminator 2 tonight.

Top Gun 2.

That movie was, simple, derivative, predictable, stupid and so much goddamned fun it was amazing.

I'm not a huge 'Top Gun' aficionado and I generally detest Tom Cruise, but Top Gun 2 is arguably the most fun I've had as far a movie experience in so long.

Its not 'haut-couture' filmmaking, but holy crap was that movie an absolute blast.

I've walked out of theaters after movies and thought: "That was really good, I enjoyed that."

But I dont think I've ever left a movie with a smile on my face that big. That movie was 'big, dumb fun.'

The movie told you what it was going to be, it delivered on that promise and more, what else can you ask for?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 03:19 PM   #42
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair with the entertainment factor.

I'd put Army of Darkness on that kind of list. It was early in my movie going career, and I remember them playing the trailer during Saturday morning cartoons. A horror movie that was heavily marketed in a truly bizarre way, my expectations were unreasonable. It over delivered.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:03 PM   #43
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of recent movies I had high expectations for the second Spiderverse movie and it didn’t just exceed high expectations…it obliterated them
Probably my favourite movie in many years
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 04:09 PM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good sweet holy lord....time has not been kind to Edward Furlong.

He looks like a serial killer.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:17 PM   #45
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Jurassic Park. I didn't see it the first couple weeks in theatre and everyone was saying it was amazing. It definitely lived up to the hype.
It was the first movie where I ever saw twice in a theatre. and I went on back to back nights. at Northhill!
Old 11-24-2023, 10:21 PM   #46
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fight Club. but we aren't supposed to talk about it.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:13 PM   #47
Dunnyberg
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Phantom Menace.
People will disagree, but I was there, everybody loved it, standing ovations the first two times I saw it. I was nine, and everybody at school talked about it for weeks and we had lightsaber fights that whole summer. Still my favorite movie. Everything about it (except jarjar) is pure kino. Especially the last third.
Dunnyberg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dunnyberg For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 11:38 PM   #48
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnyberg View Post
Phantom Menace.
People will disagree, but I was there, everybody loved it, standing ovations the first two times I saw it. I was nine, and everybody at school talked about it for weeks and we had lightsaber fights that whole summer. Still my favorite movie. Everything about it (except jarjar) is pure kino. Especially the last third.
Standing ovations?? Was it because the movie finally ended? lol
Old 11-24-2023, 11:45 PM   #49
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Honorable mention to Tron: Legacy. Paper thin plot, but the movie was artistically gorgeous, and the Daft Punk soundtrack was eargasm. I never really expected a super deep plot, as the original was pretty thin too, so it never bothered me as much as it did others.
Seconding this one.

Perhaps with Avatar one of two movies I've seen in the theatre where the 3D added to the movie.

Short on plot, sure, but visually and audioally stunning. Bought the soundtrack on the way home.

Maybe a weird choice for some, but For me, I loved Charlie and the Chocolate factory. One of my favourite childhood books, and left the movie smiling.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:53 PM   #50
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Snyder Cut of Justice League for me has to be up there. I don't think any film had such an insane backstory and hurdles just to be seen before. I was convinced we would never ever get to see it, and it would stay a myth. And on top of that his first 2 films of the franchise were not well received to say the least, so the pressure was on for him to deliver. When it finally got announced I lost it, and was expecting greatness, but thought no way it could live up to the hype in my head that I had for it for years....Then it hits, and for 4hrs I was glued to the screen, it blew away my expectations.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 12:18 AM   #51
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the Tron : Legacy love in this thread.
Old 11-25-2023, 01:55 AM   #52
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Dunkirk
Sisu

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 07:36 AM   #53
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
The Snyder Cut of Justice League for me has to be up there. I don't think any film had such an insane backstory and hurdles just to be seen before. I was convinced we would never ever get to see it, and it would stay a myth. And on top of that his first 2 films of the franchise were not well received to say the least, so the pressure was on for him to deliver. When it finally got announced I lost it, and was expecting greatness, but thought no way it could live up to the hype in my head that I had for it for years....Then it hits, and for 4hrs I was glued to the screen, it blew away my expectations.
🤮

Right up there with Batman v Superman.

Awful movie

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 08:04 AM   #54
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm not a movie buff, I much prefer TV as a medium.

This is an interesting question as I don't generally get hyped for movies.

There are lots that I watched and loved, but without much hype per say.

The two I can think of that exceeded my expectations:

The Dark Knight - The expectations for this film were sky high. Everyone and their dog was furious over the horrible casting decision of the pretty boy from A Knight's Tale being cast as the legendary and iconic character, The Joker.

Mind blowing. Exceeded gigantic expectations. The opening bank robbery scene... perfection.

Casablanca - Sure it's a classic, one of the greatest movies of all time they say. But like in an artsy way, or actual amazing way? Might be my favourite movie of all time, and I went in expecting it to be a classic.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 08:37 AM   #55
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post

I need “Nadal Vision” glasses or something so I can see a movie through your eyes. I just can’t understand how playing a mediocre 2hr movie at half speed with background yodelling can make it better.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 11:28 AM   #56
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another one is Titanic! There were massive delays during production that caused the film to be pushed back from July to a December release date. The budget had ballooned to well over $100 million and articles were being written about how James Cameron was going to sink Fox with his movie.
https://ew.com/article/1997/05/02/ro...ahead-titanic/
Expectations were sky high and everyone was waiting to see what kinda film Cameron would deliver......and then it released and everyone fell in love with it, the film was perfect and remains one of the greatest movies ever. There is a new 4K release coming out in December and I can't wait to see this masterpiece again.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 06:24 PM   #57
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Standing ovations?? Was it because the movie finally ended? lol
Actually in many ways the Phantom Menace and prequels were highly regarded and preferred to the originals by the new generation in that age group. JarJar aside, they stand up pretty well, especially with all Faloni's fill in work on Clone Wars and Rebels.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 06:54 PM   #58
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Mad Max: Fury Road.
Old 11-25-2023, 07:32 PM   #59
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great lists!

For me, Tron Legacy was it. Waited a looooooooong time, and LOVED it.

I fight for the user.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 07:59 PM   #60
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Top movies With High Expectations and Over-Delivered

Backdraft and Glory were a couple I couldn’t get enough of. Feel like I watched Platoon a hundred times as well

Last edited by Brendone; 11-25-2023 at 08:05 PM.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote