Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2023, 06:54 AM   #1
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ahsoka - streaming Tuesdays at 9pm EST

A dedicated thread for this show. Very excited!
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 09:55 AM   #2
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All aboard the hype train!
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 10:37 AM   #3
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pumped for this one, and I've never even watched any of the animated stuff. I did read up on all of the characters and storylines though, so I'm primed and ready to go. Not sure if they can top Andor for excellence, but we shall see.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 10:49 AM   #4
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I'm pumped for this one, and I've never even watched any of the animated stuff. I did read up on all of the characters and storylines though, so I'm primed and ready to go. Not sure if they can top Andor for excellence, but we shall see.
I'm guaranteeing this will be better than Andor right out of the gates. I thoroughly enjoyed Andor, far more than I thought I would. But Ashoka is Dave Filonis baby and there is no way he's not putting all his eggs in this basket. The story is far too rich and I believe is the key to setting up all star wars story lines into the future.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:57 AM   #5
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
If you're not sensitive to spoilers this is a great and short set up video for the live action show that fills you in on Rebels without going into more detail than it needs to

It's great because it helps to get even non watchers with vague knowledge invested in the story and characters by including the most key clips and plot points that help to map our it's place in the larger saga.

I started Rebels last week but realized I couldn't possibly get through 4 seasons in time so videos like this one helped to fill in my knowledge gap.

The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2023, 11:44 AM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

She had better do some cool and important stuff otherwise I'm back on the 'Ahsoka is a selfish, whiny Space Wizard' bandwagon.

She just sat on the sidelines throughout an entire Galactic conflict...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 12:10 PM   #7
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
She had better do some cool and important stuff otherwise I'm back on the 'Ahsoka is a selfish, whiny Space Wizard' bandwagon.

She just sat on the sidelines throughout an entire Galactic conflict...
This is one of my biggest gripes with a lot of the newer Star Wars stories from games and TV. We've seen countless Jedi managed to survive Order 66, yet when the rebellion was in full swing none of them could be bothered to help out?
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 12:20 PM   #8
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
This is one of my biggest gripes with a lot of the newer Star Wars stories from games and TV. We've seen countless Jedi managed to survive Order 66, yet when the rebellion was in full swing none of them could be bothered to help out?
That's what happens when the original trilogy is what kicks the whole thing off but can't account for all the expanded universe including newer characters that are later built around it. You have to explain the absence of characters that should be in the midst of such a conflict.

It was already strange enough for us non animated series fans to account for anakin having a Padawan that we don't see in the prequels.

Hopefully this show helps to integrate her for those fans in a logical way that they can wrap their minds around.

From what I've seen of Rebels these characters seem well fleshed out and easy to invest in so it should be a fun ensemble to follow if they can make it easily accessible to the unfamiliar fans.

I don't see it being hard to follow aside from the Ezra / WibW / space whales subplot that may require some exposition.

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 08-22-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 12:32 PM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Oh...I've bitched about this...at length!

The Jedi...due to Order 66, realized they'd been betrayed. Had to have figured out that they were Galactic History's easiest Con, and instead of doing anything about it they.....sat on their asses.

We know there is Galactic news networks, these guys are seeing the Rebellion and watching some kid with a lightsaber who barely knows how to swing it and their response is...."He seems fine on his own."

So for a bunch of Stoic Knights with a 'Code of Honour' or whatever they sure bailed on a lifetime of indoctrination pretty damned shockingly quick.

"Naw....this whole 'Serve The Galaxy' thing? I'm over it."

Now Ahsoka? She is seeing her 'Sky Guy's' little spawnling getting his ass kicked left and right....I mean, his name is 'Skywalker' and everything, its surely on the News and she does.....a grand total of absolutely nothing? She must have knit a kick-ass scarf or something during the Galactic War....maybe a hat for her other hat?

In my eyes, that makes her a Coward and a Deserter. At best.

At least she's not alone. Theres also Gramps and the Swamp Goblin.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-22-2023, 12:49 PM   #10
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Excellent. I thought this aired tomorrow.

Incidentally, every show should have a dedicated thread.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 01:21 PM   #11
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, there were a couple of things that made me crazy about the original EU. you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a former Jedi. Now it was complicated because for most of the original EU there wasn't an order 66. But Palpatine created this brilliant plan where he used a war to thin out the Jedi, then laid an insidious plan where the very troops that they lead became their executioners. But the more Jedi that survived the worse the plan looked.

However in Dark Lord Rise of Darth Vader during a conversation between Vader and Palpatine where Vader just wanted to kill Jedi. Palpatine basically told him that the Jedi weren't a threat anymore, that they were hiding away and doing penance for their arrogance, and that nobody would help them if they stuck their head out because the Empire had effectively made the Jedi the villains.

I would expect that most Jedi knew they were completely played and extremely vulnerable and were content to live in a tent in the outer rim.

Yoda in ROTJ said don't underestimate the Emperor. He knew that even he couldn't beat the Emperor or the Sith because the Jedi in their arrogance expected the Sith from 3000 years ago, and the Sith had evolved.

In the new EU, there were a lot less Jedi that survived Order 66, and now the Empire had the Inquisitors who weren't as powerful as Vader or the Emperor and weren't Sith, but they were former Jedi that hated the Jedi, and sticking your head up was just a bad idea.

Even Kanan really didn't want to announce his Jedi status, but was forced into it. Ashoka worked with the early rebellion and didn't run around announcing it.

I loved the idea of order 66 and the eradication of the Jedi leaving only a handful out of the 10,000 knights that swamped the galaxy. The idea of the Sith taking joy in the Jedi who surived running for their life.

But to Palpatine the biggest threat to him wasn't the Jedi, it was a rebellion that he had a hand in creating.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 04:37 PM   #12
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point, is there any consistency at all to hang on to? SW retcons stuff all the time. It's irritating and irrational, but it's what they do.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 04:54 PM   #13
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
At this point, is there any consistency at all to hang on to? SW retcons stuff all the time. It's irritating and irrational, but it's what they do.
Yeah Star Wars needs a canon reset in the worst way.

Wipe out everything not in the OG trilogy and start over. Everything. Rule of two, order 66, etc. DC and Marvel do it all the time. Keep what you want, discard other stuff, whatever works. You don’t even have to be consistent. Wipe out one character’s history but keep another’s fully in tact. Whatever works to tell better stories that aren’t so limited by terrible decisions made earlier and years of canon.

They kind of did it once when Disney took over but they half assed it and kept all the worst parts.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2023, 05:00 PM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yeah Star Wars needs a canon reset in the worst way.

Wipe out everything not in the OG trilogy and start over. Everything. Rule of two, order 66, etc. DC and Marvel do it all the time. Keep what you want, discard other stuff, whatever works. You don’t even have to be consistent. Wipe out one character’s history but keep another’s fully in tact. Whatever works to tell better stories that aren’t so limited by terrible decisions made earlier and years of canon.

They kind of did it once when Disney took over but they half assed it and kept all the worst parts.
They should hire JJ Abrams to reset everything.....oh....yeah. Thats not gone well.

Old 08-22-2023, 05:48 PM   #15
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon45

Has JJ done anything of note since?
Old 08-22-2023, 07:05 PM   #16
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Has JJ done anything of note since?
Has Directed anything. Producing a ton though, including a Superman film and the new Constantine.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:28 PM   #17
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that was damn good. Baylon and Shin are intriguing characters. If jedi ever became disillusioned mercs they are exactly how I'd imagine. I like that Baylon still has respect for his fellow jedi and isn't just an evil caricature type of villain.

Pretty cinematic show thus far, including the soundtrack which was 10/10.. john Williams like but with a twist.

I'm really excited to see what's next.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 12:21 AM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said this in the main thread, but damn...it is hard watching this knowing Ray Stevenson is dead.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 01:27 AM   #19
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really enjoy it, but It occurred to me I'm somewhat behind on the animated series, but no idea what and where.

At first I was thinking that super star destroyer engine was going to be used for the star killer base in the Force Awakens, and I think I let out an audible groan.

A few other thoughts popped in my mind, but they pertain more to the Thrawn trilogy - and I don't really want to drag book stuff in here so I'll post it in the other SW thread (we all know how book talk goes . . . )
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 01:30 AM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I swear to god if I have to hear this Jedi 'They're just not ready' BS one more time....

"When do you know?"

- "You just know."

This is 'The Matrix 3' level of dialogue...stop it.

Tags
star wars