Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2016, 04:05 PM   #501
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
It seems no matter who you go with they will find a way to nickle and dime you to death even if you don't order anything.

My Shaw bill came in about $20 too high for the month September 16 to October 15.

Apparently I ordered Crave and Shomi when I have zero interest in both. Definitely check your bills. They fixed it but it is annoying having to call in every time they make a mistake. With telus I would get random channel adds like Much Music and National Geographic. It's like there is zero honesty or integrity in these companies.
At least you can call you in and get it changed. No matter what bill I get from Enmax, I have to pay it. I have almost no control in what rates and surcharges are going to be.

/rant
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #502
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Thanks for this. I had Internet 50 which was flawless service wise for 3-4 years using the old Cisco modem.

When the Internet 150 came out I went and got a Hiltron from the Shaw store and swapped it out myself. Right off the hop I was getting 150+ speeds on wifi and wired. Then over the last month I get slow down on wifi, can never seem to get more than 25 down but always 16+ up. Wired I seem to always hit 150 although I rarely speed test that type of connection.

Should be interesting to see the cause as maybe what you wrote in the last part of your post is happening. I haven't changed my cable setup from my power box where it is split in years, so maybe I am at the outer edge of what is supported.

I know Telus ran fiber a year or so ago, and I can get 150 through them. So we'll see what Shaw comes back with next week.
Update...

So I'm not sure whether your issue is the same as mine, but essentially for me, there is no "fix".

I don't know how my iPhone 6 got 150/15 and is now stuck in the 100/15 to 50/15 range on 5Ghz, but it is what it is. It seems that the hardware is limiting the download speed.

For instance:
Wife's Iphone 6S for instance did 167 DL/15 up ish consistently
Tech's Samsung did over 170 DL consistently
My Iphone 6 did 95-105 DL /16 up consistently
iPad mini (non retina) did 65 DL / 14 up consistently

Computers on 2.4 Ghz wifi do around 65-80 DL / 15 up.

Tech couldn't answer why my iphone 6 originally had hit 150 DL and no longer could hit it, but hardware restriction theory does definitely seem to hold a bit of water.

Unfortunately, my answer isn't much of an answer. It seems like my devices are too "old" to hit 150 DL but can easily hit 15 UL. The tech wondered if it was due to the type of wifi module inside the devices and processing power that was limiting the DL speeds.

The tech had a Cisco modem that he offered to try, but I didn't think it was necessary. Newer devices were indeed getting full advertised speeds. My older devices however, were not.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #503
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Scored a much better deal from Telus just now.

Internet 150 with unlimited data
TV Essentials + 6 theme packs
Home Phone

$95 per month for the first year
$158 per month second year

I'll probably drop a bunch of the TV after the first year, but it's a pretty good deal at $35 per month for that TV package under the promotional pricing.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #504
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
Scored a much better deal from Telus just now.

Internet 150 with unlimited data
TV Essentials + 6 theme packs
Home Phone

$95 per month for the first year
$158 per month second year

I'll probably drop a bunch of the TV after the first year, but it's a pretty good deal at $35 per month for that TV package under the promotional pricing.
What is the price for Telus Internet 150 after the two years?
Old 08-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #505
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
What is the price for Telus Internet 150 after the two years?
After 1 year it's $83 with unlimited bandwidth still included. Shaw left a voicemail for me at home while I was golfing. They apparently know I'm getting Telus service and want to play ball now. This might actually get fun.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #506
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So Shaw came by last night. Looks like there was work being done late July into early August in my area that resulted in my modem "Flapping" (ie: droping the signal or getting poor signal). It has since been resolved about a week ago.

I also couldn't get over 25 mbps on AC wifi. So I reset the Shaw modem/router and connected into it and now I am at 130mbps on AC. Much better.

I then bridged and plugged in the Netgear R7000 and boom right back down to 25mbps. So I have ordered a newer 2600 level modem and will try that out to see. For now I am sticking with my Netgear because the range on the Shaw modem sucks.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #507
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
So Shaw came by last night. Looks like there was work being done late July into early August in my area that resulted in my modem "Flapping" (ie: droping the signal or getting poor signal). It has since been resolved about a week ago.

I also couldn't get over 25 mbps on AC wifi. So I reset the Shaw modem/router and connected into it and now I am at 130mbps on AC. Much better.

I then bridged and plugged in the Netgear R7000 and boom right back down to 25mbps. So I have ordered a newer 2600 level modem and will try that out to see. For now I am sticking with my Netgear because the range on the Shaw modem sucks.
Are you having them bridge the modem or just using the IP Passthrough option? Curious because I have a new router I want to try because yes the Wifi range does suck.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #508
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Are you having them bridge the modem or just using the IP Passthrough option? Curious because I have a new router I want to try because yes the Wifi range does suck.
They can set it to bridge from their end remotely, which they did before I even plugged it in (they asked me when I picked it up, and changed the setting in advance). I'm not familiar with the passthrough option, but bridge mode is working well for me both at home and at work, for what it's worth.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #509
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I have done both and they worked to similar results. Pass through might be about the same work as a chat window to customer service to ask for a bridge. However a reset with pass through will get your settings back quickly.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #510
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Before calling Telus

After calling Telus, I'm now on the 150/150 and added 3 more packages to my TV.

All told, I'll pay $18 less than I was paying before.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #511
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Getting same issue. No new introduction of interference as far as I know. Tech will come to my place late next week to check. If yours is still wonky next week, I'll let you know what the tech says in terms of a resolution.
So I finally figured it out. Looks like I had a configuration issue with my router. I believe it has something to do with the static ip's I assigned some devices. That is my leading theory.

Today I wiped my R7000 to factory and re-tested and went from max 25 down to 150 down. So it looks like there was the "flapping" issue for connectivity, then the issue with my router settings. Man almost went out and got a new router too, good thing I did what I should have done weeks ago just reset and test!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #512
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Before calling Telus

After calling Telus, I'm now on the 150/150 and added 3 more packages to my TV.

All told, I'll pay $18 less than I was paying before.
Update - the upgrade didn't happen, got home from work this evening and I still have the same speeds.

I'm now online with Telus trying to get it resolved.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:32 PM   #513
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Got hooked up by Telus today. Liking the speeds a lot.

I uploaded a 1.5 gig video to YouTube just to see how fast it would go. Finished in around 3 minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2016, 09:54 PM   #514
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Network card on my PC doesn't seem to want to show the full bandwidth, only shows

But running a test on my work laptop shows

Anyone know of a way to get the PC network card to stop being a biatch, or am I forced to buy a new one to take advantage of my speeds on that device?

Last edited by StrykerSteve; 08-22-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:13 AM   #515
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ That looks suspiciously close to 100 Mbps, which would be the limit of a 10/100 network card. Is it an old PC?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #516
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
^ That looks suspiciously close to 100 Mbps, which would be the limit of a 10/100 network card. Is it an old PC?
or 10/100 switch ports on the router? since the laptop is probably using Wifi?
MrCallahan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrCallahan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #517
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What kind of network card is it? If it is only a 10/100 (or perhaps 10/100 router port), then you'll have to upgrade either the network card, or the router, depending on which is the bottleneck.

If its the network card, the good news is, you can get them on Amazon for $20.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:22 PM   #518
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just upgraded today and my upload speeds went up significantly (was around 2.3ish, now around 14), but my download speeds went down. Was hovering around 47, now around 32. Weird.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #519
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Only Telus 100 is available in my area. No Telus 150/150.

Last edited by homestand; 08-24-2016 at 10:24 AM.
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:54 PM   #520
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
It's not an "old" PC, but it's not new either. It's probably 6 or 7 years old at this point. In tech terms, I guess it's pretty ancient, lol.

Just took a look...

PC has Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller, which is apparently a 10/100 card.

What's the best solution to replace it with?

edit - would this be a good choice?

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-LINK-TG-326...etwork+adapter

Last edited by StrykerSteve; 08-23-2016 at 08:08 PM.

Tags
deal , moarspeed! , shaw , telus , wideopen150