Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #61
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Okay so that's the collision rate, what's the actual rate of deaths on 63 compared to other highways?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #62
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Okay so that's the collision rate, what's the actual rate of deaths on 63 compared to other highways?
From the same article:

Quote:
The province does not keep statistics on the fatality rate for collisions on two lane highways, Kaszuba said.
Does seem kind of strange! I'd be interested to know that as well.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #63
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I think it's also hard to compare accident rates per million km between a road like Hwy 63 where the average trip is ~500 km; and another highway where the average trip may be 50 km.

When somebody travels on Hwy 63; aren't they pretty much going back and forth between Fort Mac and Edmonton?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #64
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
A four-day crackdown on speeding and other violations in the wake of a head-on crash that claimed seven lives resulted in 663 charges against drivers on Highway 63.
Link
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #65
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
Quote:
A four-day crackdown on speeding and other violations in the wake of a head-on crash that claimed seven lives resulted in 663 charges against drivers on Highway 63.

People don't seem to learn, do they?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #66
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was very surprised to read this:

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Pr...#ixzz1tisTXxMt

This topic resonates the attitude of a lot of Albertans and especially Northern Albertans. All these people signing petitions and protesting the government to just "Git 'er Done" without even having a clue about the challenges at hand. Just throw money at it.

It really isn't that easy. As the article states, building roads over muskeg and through boreal forests just isn't as easy as it sounds! The roads up here are horrible throughout the city. Last year four apartment buildings were condemned because they were sinking/shifting in the soft ground. There are buildings all over town where you can look in the corners and the walls/ceilings don't line up right any more!

When the new heavy truck rest area was built south of town they rushed and got the road paved. That following spring the new road had heaved so much it was impassable at highway speeds - it literaly was like the whoop-de-doos on a dirtbike track! It had to be ripped up and paved all over again!

We had a concrete pad poured around our entire shop a couple of years ago. The first winter after it was done it had heaved so much (about six inches) that we couldn't open the doors on the north side of our building all winter. In the spring it was fine again!

Wherever and whatever you build up here is built on the equivalent of a great big swamp and is just not as easy as it is elsewhere!

Albertans - throwing money at it won't fix it! It has to be done properly and properly is going to take time! Do taxpayers really want to fund a billion dollar road project that is slapped together and requires another billion dollars of taxpayer money in a few years to fix it? Some of these people are like children holding their breath.........."BUT I WAAAAAAANT IT"". We all want the highway twinned. They're working on it.

In the meantime don't drive like idiots and don't run around calling it the world's deadliest highway.
I agree that it's not as easy as just laying pavement, but I think that statistic they presented is skewed in favour of their argument.

Yes, the per 100 million km travelled collision rate is lower, but the fact that the highway itself has way more kms travelled than other highways tells me it's still deadlier than other highways. The sheer volume of cars travelling that highway skews that statistic.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #67
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The article indicates they gave out 663 tickets in ~600 hours of patrolling, or an average of 1.1 ticket per hour of patrol. That actually seems low to me, if speeding was that prevalent you'd think they'd be giving them out at a much higher rate, especially during a high-profile "blitz."

Would you guess it should take an average of 55 minutes to catch someone and give them a ticket on a highway where:
Quote:
“It is not about whether we have enough resources or whether highways should be twinned. The problem is that drivers are making bad decisions.”
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #68
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilboy2 View Post
So in the news today a 20 year old was stopped for doing 180kmh on 63 the day after this accident. This goes with the 100 other speeding tickets issued on the highway just this weekend. Clearly many simply don't care. Once it's twinned you can bet it will turn into an autobahn and innocent people will still get killed by idiots. We are dealing with a whole different population on that highway.
I say this because I drive it a lot and have yet to see it duplicated on any other highway in this province
Really? Have you never driven the TransCanada West of Canmore after any weekend and especially after any long weekend? Cruising along at 120-125 and people fly by you like you're putting along in a golf cart. Crazy speed demons exist on every highway, no matter the location.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #69
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

In today's Calgary Herald there is an article about the Hiway of Death, and in the article kthey mention how there should be more "Keep Right Except to Pass" signs. All I thought was seriously, people driving need a reminder that they are driving on a two lane Hiway.

Good Grief........