Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:
Default Girl texting while driving hits cyclist, says “I just don’t care”

Quote:
“I just don’t care because I’ve already been through a lot of bull#### and my car is like pretty expensive and now I have to fix it,” she told a police officer.

“I’m kind of pissed off that the cyclist has hit the side of my car. I don’t agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I wasn’t on my phone when I hit the cyclist.”
Quote:
A P-PLATE driver who used her mobile phone behind the wheel 44 times before running down a cyclist near Koroit has been fined $4500 and lost her licence for nine months.

Kimberley Davis, 21, of Grant Street, Port Fairy, yesterday pleaded guilty in the Warrnambool Magistrates Court to dangerous driving.

She was originally charged with 47 offences covering each time she had used her phone.

The cyclist suffered a spinal fracture which required surgery and placement in a spinal cage at Melbourne’s Austin Hospital. He was originally told he could be left a paraplegic and spent three months recovering.
http://www.standard.net.au/story/221...-hits-cyclist/
Old 04-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How many points did she get?
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Australia has to be one of the strangest places on earth...
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, I think if you are caught texting and driving even once you should get your license revoked permanently, same thing with drunk drivers.

If you are too important to pay attention, take a bus.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Honestly, I think if you are caught texting and driving even once you should get your license revoked permanently, same thing with drunk drivers.

If you are too important to pay attention, take a bus.
I think if you hit someone or cause an accident when you are drinking and driving or distracted driving and your found guilty. They take your license for a year, then take your car and put it in a crusher and you have to pull the lever.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 12:50 AM   #6
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
They take your license for a year, then take your car and put it in a crusher and you have to pull the lever.
I would pay to watch that.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:22 AM   #7
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Australia has to be one of the strangest places on earth...
What in this story makes you say that?

The girl is obviously a jerk, but plenty of those around everywhere.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:33 AM   #8
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's Australia. Moving on..
Old 04-17-2014, 06:07 AM   #9
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

The self righteousness is strong in this thread.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 06:13 AM   #10
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Earlier this year, two young women in Queensland, Australia, were filmed verbally and physically assaulting an old man on a bus while shouting slurs about aboriginal people. The resulting video introduced the world to Australia’s one truly unique contribution to the global taxonomy of ######s: the moll. Most countries have loud, irritating, and offensive youths, but only we have the special breed of scrag capable of committing a violent racist act while wearing $40 shoes, $300 sunglasses, and a cocktail dress.
http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-g...ustralian-mole
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #11
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
The self righteousness is strong in this thread.
I just get sick and tired of lives being destroyed or severely impacted because some self entitled jerk doesn't feel the need to pay attention to what they are doing when they are driving a two ton plus object at 50+ KM/H. It's not a game. It's life and death and it should be treated as something more severe than what it is.

If you prove yourself to be too irresponsible to use a vehicle properly then you should not be allowed the privilege of driving. If it impacts your life severely, then that's just too bad. You should have decided not to endanger the lives of everyone around you because you just needed to send that text. 6 months is way too light of a slap on the wrist. They won't learn a thing from that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #12
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hang up and drive, people.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 07:02 AM   #13
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
I just get sick and tired of lives being destroyed or severely impacted because some self entitled jerk doesn't feel the need to pay attention to what they are doing when they are driving a two ton plus object at 50+ KM/H. It's not a game. It's life and death and it should be treated as something more severe than what it is.

If you prove yourself to be too irresponsible to use a vehicle properly then you should not be allowed the privilege of driving. If it impacts your life severely, then that's just too bad. You should have decided not to endanger the lives of everyone around you because you just needed to send that text. 6 months is way too light of a slap on the wrist. They won't learn a thing from that.
Driving: It's seriouz biznezz.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #14
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:

It is.

Last year I had to swerve completely out of my lane to avoid a head on collision with a car that floated across two lanes into mine because the other driver had her face burried into her phone. We missed by about six inches. The load I had in my car at the time would have ended me right there, only doing 50 kph.

Put down the ####ing phones in the car.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:14 AM   #15
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How many 10's of thousands of people die every year because of stupid people texting.

The amount of vehicular fatalities has not dropped much if at all despite all cars being a large amount safer than they were even 10 years ago.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #16
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I agree, drives me ####ing nuts when someone is being silly in their vehicle because they are nose deep in their phone.

But the over reactions here are still funny.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #17
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sask is going to start seizing vehicles for up to 7 days on second offenses of texting and driving. It's a start.

I've always wondered why seizing a vehicle is not done in impaired driving cases. It seems like a good deterent. You can get your vehicle seized for poaching a deer, but not being a threat to lfe and limb.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #18
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How many 10's of thousands of people die every year because of stupid people texting.

The amount of vehicular fatalities has not dropped much if at all despite all cars being a large amount safer than they were even 10 years ago.
Yeah, good point. Well, except that it is not true at all. They are down significantly in the US. From about 43,000 in 2002, to 34,000 in 2012 (the last full year there are stats available. Even though the population increased from 288 million to 314 million during that time. So they are down about 30-40% during that time period. I'd assume Canada would be similar.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #19
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, drives me ####ing nuts when someone is being silly in their vehicle because they are nose deep in their phone.

But the over reactions here are still funny.
The whole distracted driving thing hasn't been taken seriously enough and unfortunately it appears a few lives are going to have to be taken in high profile accidents before law enforcement really starts to crack down on it. How many people had to lose their lives to drunk drivers before the 3 month suspension and slap on the wrist escalated to what it is today? Lots over a lot of years which just goes to show how slow society is to accept the real dangers of what was once considered "over reaction". It just sucks that some families are going to have to deal with unnecessary losses because people are still of the mindset that it's "over reaction".
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #20
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Yeah, good point. Well, except that it is not true at all. They are down significantly in the US. From about 43,000 in 2002, to 34,000 in 2012 (the last full year there are stats available. Even though the population increased from 288 million to 314 million during that time. So they are down about 30-40% during that time period. I'd assume Canada would be similar.
Cars really are so much safer. I remember in the 70/80's as a kid being carted around in a big station wagon on brutal snow storms with only lap belts holding us in place and all-season tires that would be disallowed today.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote