Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #3441
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
A tweet from Qualico homes today:

This development is right up against Springbank airport (YBW). You just know these new residents are going to move in and start bitching about airplane noise right away. When the weather is good YBW is busy all day long with training flights coming and going and flying in the circuit practicing takeoffs and landings (plus the helicopter training traffic).
Baffles me that this was actually approved knowing how the county is.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #3442
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

WestJet's wifi, how's that coming along? Best I can find is that they wanted to have it on flights to the US by now. How's the progress?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 02-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #3443
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Parts shortages are slowing down the installation apparently. And the system isn't live yet on any machine.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #3444
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
WestJet's wifi, how's that coming along? Best I can find is that they wanted to have it on flights to the US by now. How's the progress?
Bureaucracy. Apparently it needs to get approval from 2 people at TC, THEN it needs to go thru their lawyers. It's installed on 3 airplanes. Once TC approves it, those 3 will be turned on. I would be surprised if it's running this summer.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #3445
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Large pic
Table made from 747 engine

Spoiler!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2015, 10:12 PM   #3446
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Large pic
Table made from 747 engine

Spoiler!
Inspired by maybe, but that is way too small to be an engine from a 747
Old 02-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #3447
The_Penguin
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know the weather isn't exactly forecast as great tomorrow, but the Nav Canada CRJ will be doing its inspection passes on the new runway during the day. Pretty cool to go watch them come in nice and fast with the gear up and peel away at the threshold.
Looks like they're at it this morning:

Last edited by The_Penguin; 02-22-2015 at 10:42 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Penguin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #3448
Tapestar
Draft Pick

According to the Airdrie Airshow Facebook page, the opening of the new YYC runway will prevent future airshows being held at the Airdrie Airport.

"Happy Tuesday Airshow Fans,
With the opening of the new runway at YYC we can no longer hold the Airshow at the Airdrie Airpark but fear not, we are in discussions with other locations and we hope to have a formal annoucement very soon. If all goes ahead our show dates will be July 18 & 19th."

Popular rumor has it relocating to Springbank, the Snowbirds are scheduled there for July 18-19, 2015.

Last edited by Tapestar; 02-23-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #3449
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A tweet from Qualico homes today:

And my reply:

This development is right up against Springbank airport (YBW). You just know these new residents are going to move in and start bitching about airplane noise right away. When the weather is good YBW is busy all day long with training flights coming and going and flying in the circuit practicing takeoffs and landings (plus the helicopter training traffic).
Wow, that's pretty much all under the training circuit.

As you said, imagine all the touch and gos on a nice day.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:50 AM   #3450
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Wow, that's pretty much all under the training circuit.

As you said, imagine all the touch and gos on a nice day.
The downwind for both 08/26 takes you right through the middle of the development, the centerline of 17/35 also splits it.

Hope the new residents like the sound of Garrett TFE 731's

Last edited by FLAME ENVY; 02-26-2015 at 08:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2015, 01:46 PM   #3451
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question for the professional aviators here: I have a PPL and about 100 hours, but it's been more than a decade since I've logged any PIC time. If I was to drop everything and work on getting additional licenses and ratings (multi-engine, IFR, commercial, ATPL, etc.), how long would it take until I could get a job flying professionally, and approximately how much would it cost? At age 35, is it too late to switch careers? Will I be too old to get an airline job by the time I get all the required ratings and build up enough flying time?
Old 02-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #3452
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Question for the professional aviators here: I have a PPL and about 100 hours, but it's been more than a decade since I've logged any PIC time. If I was to drop everything and work on getting additional licenses and ratings (multi-engine, IFR, commercial, ATPL, etc.), how long would it take until I could get a job flying professionally, and approximately how much would it cost? At age 35, is it too late to switch careers? Will I be too old to get an airline job by the time I get all the required ratings and build up enough flying time?

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #3453
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Coles notes for those of us who can't open that?
Old 02-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #3454
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Takes a long time and it's supremely expensive, and then to fly the big boys you need a lot of flight hours as PIC on a jet. Possible, yes. Easy and quick, heck no.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:28 AM   #3455
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's why DND has such a hard time retaining pilots. Or why it's so easy for a military pilot to transition. Tons of guys who have over 1000 hrs jet time before they are 30.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #3456
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bombardier set to test fly CSeries for this first time today. CBC is doing some sort of Live Stream but I don't know when it starts:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bomb...oday-1.2975125
Old 02-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #3457
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
Bombardier set to test fly CSeries for this first time today. CBC is doing some sort of Live Stream but I don't know when it starts:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bomb...oday-1.2975125
She's airborne, but I should clarify this is not the first flight of the CSeries. That was the CS100 I think about a year ago, this was the first flight of the CS300 variant.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #3458
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Takes a long time and it's supremely expensive, and then to fly the big boys you need a lot of flight hours as PIC on a jet. Possible, yes. Easy and quick, heck no.
At what point does pilot training become a full time job?

Lets just say being a pilot was my childhood dream. My left eye has terrible vision though so I never thought I could do it (I only use my right eye which is 20/20 so I don't need glasses or anything) but I'd be willing to go under the knife to make that a reality if needed.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #3459
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know the vision requirements for category 1 medical, required for an ATPL or CPL. As a controller I have a cat 2 medical, and my vision is horrific so at the bottom of my certificate it says "corrective lenses required" or something. Private Pilot License is a category 3 medical.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #3460
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

And honestly I'm not a pilot so I have no idea of the full costs that go into pilot training. In the video he talks about a massive cost for all the training on the order of $80k USD, and I know for a fact Air Canada will first consider applicants who have a degree of some sort as well. Real tough to get in.
Closed Thread

Tags
airplanes , avgeeks , aviation , flight , spotters