Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #21
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default E-Book Readers - Worth it?

Any opinions on Kobo vs Kindle? Does one offer more book choices (in Canada) than the other?

Last edited by ah123; 04-27-2017 at 05:03 PM.
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #22
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I have both a Kobo and a Kindle and I like the Kindle better. The book selection is better, the hardware is more responsive and the software is more stable. The only thing better about the Kobo is the store, I find Amazon's method of promoting the garbage to the top extremely annoying, so much so that I usually search the web for what I want, then put the specific title in the search bar to purchase it.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #23
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I have both a Kobo and a Kindle and I like the Kindle better. The book selection is better, the hardware is more responsive and the software is more stable. The only thing better about the Kobo is the store, I find Amazon's method of promoting the garbage to the top extremely annoying, so much so that I usually search the web for what I want, then put the specific title in the search bar to purchase it.
If you buy Kindle books on Amazon while on your PC, your Kindle should automatically download it. It's pretty handy and much easier than searching around on the Kindle for stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #24
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If the library is a primary source for books then the Kindle doesn't support that, but otherwise I'd go to and try out the hardware (Staples I think usually has quite a few readers on display) and go with what one likes.

Even for the library, there's probably a way to remove the DRM from the borrowed books to get them onto the Kindle, which isn't strictly legal but I mean I'm borrowing the book and will remove it when I return it, so I don't think it's that big a deal.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #25
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I can't say as I've run into any books that I wanted but could not get on Kobo, but I also tend to read mass market trash, so...
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 09:34 PM   #26
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like Kobo over Kindle just because it isn't a locked-in ecosystem and you can get books from other sources (e.g. Google Play, various smaller outfits). But I don't think you can really go wrong with either. There are ways to convert between epub (used by Kobo and others) and Kindle format but if the book has DRM you have to remove it first. I have done that on occasion if there's a really good deal on a book I want at Amazon that isn't matched elsewhere, or for books that are published by Amazon and exclusive there, but a lot of deals these days are the same at all the major stores.

There are lots of (legal) free books available for ereaders. For example Tor, one of the major sci-fi/fantasy publishers, has been giving away a free book each month if you sign up for their newsletter; these are relatively recent books by well-known authors, often but not always the first book in a series. I've probably got more free books than I'll actually ever get a chance to read.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 07:13 AM   #27
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh, thanks for the free book tip, but I just tried signing up for their newsletter and get an "unknown error"! Sucky.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #28
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely wish their were more variety and features available (i.e. would like a color screen).

I have a Kobo E-reader, its okay at best.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:17 AM   #29
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Kindle is apparently working on a colour e-reader, but no idea when that releases. For the most part though, one might as well just get a tablet or read using their phone in that case, as you'd get even more features. And both Kindle and Kobo have apps that allow you read your book on any device.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #30
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Kobo. My mother-in-law won it at some event but she can't even technology so she handed it over to me. I tried it out and it is really easy to use but I prefer having a physical copy of a book in my hands. I also amassed a large collection of Star Wars books and it looks quite impressive sitting on my book shelves so I want to keep that collection up.

I'd read other books on the Kobo if I had more reading time available, but with three young kids I just can't find time to read my Star Wars books as well as other books on a regular basis. So I'll just put a list of books on my Christmas wish list for our family's Secret Santa Exchange.

What I like about the Kobo is that it is compatible with your library. Kindle is not. Being tech support for libraries I am exposed to all the services and use them quite often so if I do find that I have time to read another book that I'm interested in then I'll download it from the library.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #31
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I really wonder if they'll actually release a colour e-ink screen though. The technology has existed for a while, and the rumor mill has always churned for years now that the next Kindle would have colour. I remember in the past the drawbacks were that the colour wasn't great and without good lighting for contrast, it can be tough to see things on it. Reminds me a lot of the original Game Boy Advance.

I feel like Amazon knows that the Kindle is best served staying black and white and doing it well, and they sell things like the Fire tablet for things that work better in colour.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #32
theJuice
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Stupid question, but I read alot of books on my Ipad using ibooks or whatever the built in app thing is. How much different is an e-reader compared to using an ipad.

Is it noticeably different or better? If it is a fair bit better, I would definitely pick one of them up. Only thing I really currently enjoy about using the ipad is the size, as I use both my regular air and ipad pro 12 inch to read on.
theJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #33
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to any book store or Bestbuy or whatever and take a look yourself, but they are better because you can read them in direct sunlight(like, say, sitting on a beach) or at night without eye strain caused by a back light display like a tablet.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:52 PM   #34
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It's a totally different experience, iPads and such their screen puts out light, whereas the readers use a screen that doesn't; it basically looks like ink on paper. So the contrast ratio is higher, there's no glaring light, it's easier to read in most light conditions, less eye strain, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 06:37 PM   #35
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

And battery life is a billion times better.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:33 AM   #36
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

And you don't want to be staring at your ipad in bed before sleep.

Love my kindle.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:02 AM   #37
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Love my Kobo, and with a free Calgary Public Library membership you can sign out e-books for a three week loan. Up to 50 e-books at a time. The system even lets you put holds on e-books if they don't currently have a copy available.

The Adobe Digital Editions software to get the e-book onto the Kobo after you download it is a bit kludgy but once you get it working it is fine. I probably go through a couple of dozen books a year from CPL.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:57 PM   #38
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wanted to bump this thread, as Im currently deciding between a Kindle and a Kobo. It sounds like Kindle has slightly better tech, but Kobo is easier for connecting to libraries and other formats. Assuming there is a workaround for Kindle to get epub books, is it a hassle to do? I'd prefer to borrow as much as possible.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:36 PM   #39
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Just wanted to bump this thread, as Im currently deciding between a Kindle and a Kobo. It sounds like Kindle has slightly better tech, but Kobo is easier for connecting to libraries and other formats. Assuming there is a workaround for Kindle to get epub books, is it a hassle to do? I'd prefer to borrow as much as possible.
I can't help with the kindle, but all I can say is we love the library borrowing aspect of the Kobo. Got it for my 8 year old who is a ferocious reader - 5-10 books a week - and it's a life saver. Super easy to remove or load books on. I think the kindle is probably "better" overall but my advice is to look at what is important to you and then look at what does those things best.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #40
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually find loading library books to be annoying as hell. Half the time I can't get it to work and I have no idea why.