Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #21
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Could be investment property. I can't see him pegging the Bruins as the next Cup winner. Or the front office to join in case of retirement

Last edited by MarkGio; 04-26-2017 at 05:39 PM.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:47 PM   #22
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Really don't think the winter consideration plays a factor in Iginlas thought process or any other multimillionaire for that matter. They are so filthy rich that if winter does start ticking them off they can simply take the next flight out to a tropical destination or go spend time at another house they may have purchased in a sunnier destination.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:48 PM   #23
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Could be investment property. I can't see him pegging the Bruins as the next Cup winner. Or the front office to join in case of retirement
His cup radar needs calibration
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 05:59 PM   #24
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since I am not ultra-rich I maybe missing something here, but does this purchase make monetary sense right now?

Let say iggy plays for two more years in some place other than Boston or any team in the area, then that means he is not living in. $4.5 million dollar home from September to April (8 mos or more if his team makes the playoffs). Part of my assumption is that his wife and kids live in whatever city he plays in as I'd assume that his kids are not overly mobile due to school - but who knows, maybe they are home schooled by a private tutor. But who knows, maybe the wife and kids would live in this house in Boston and iggy lives alone during the season.

To me as a pro-athlete it seems to make very little sense to tie up millions in a home when you can be traded, although trade clauses help protect the players.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #25
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Since I am not ultra-rich I maybe missing something here, but does this purchase make monetary sense right now?

Let say iggy plays for two more years in some place other than Boston or any team in the area, then that means he is not living in. $4.5 million dollar home from September to April (8 mos or more if his team makes the playoffs). Part of my assumption is that his wife and kids live in whatever city he plays in as I'd assume that his kids are not overly mobile due to school - but who knows, maybe they are home schooled by a private tutor. But who knows, maybe the wife and kids would live in this house in Boston and iggy lives alone during the season.

To me as a pro-athlete it seems to make very little sense to tie up millions in a home when you can be traded, although trade clauses help protect the players.
I doubt he ever lives in that home...especially not long term. It's probably purely an investment property. I dont know much about that area but in the US and the way their housing market is going...I bet that house sells for like $6 million if not a tad more within the next 2-3 years. That's a decent return. It's saying he bought the house brand new so the area is probably going to increase in value over the short term. Real estate investment provides great returns if done correctly....especially in the US and these luxury homes.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #26
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

He's a ufa so this could be any number of things. He's retiring and wants a house there, will play out east, will play out west and work out visiting with his family and/or plans to live there eventually and, regardless of where he plays, wanted to buy now, even if he won't live there for a while.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #27
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Iginla should have bought a home west of Calgary.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:06 PM   #28
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

I mean, his best season in recent memory was with the Bruins.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #29
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
lol yeah give me snow shoveling for 4 months a year instead of golfing in 15 celsius
Meh, golf is for the summer. Winter time I want to go skating
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:21 PM   #30
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

First thing that came to my head, and probably the most likely scenario is that out of the stops he's made over the last 5 years, Boston was a favorite for the family, and that's where they plan to settle down. The family can move there now, and if he takes a one year here, and another year there, the family is in a permanent place, and the kids can go to school somewhere stable? It just seems so much more likely than luxury real estate speculation or that he's necessarily playing for the Bruins next year. If he lands anywhere in the eastern conference or the central west, he's never more than a 3 hour flight from home.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #31
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'm with you on this one. Spent a lot of time in southern California in my life and having the exact same weather every single day actually got old and boring real fast
? Only time I have heard SoCal weather referred to as boring.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #32
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
I doubt he ever lives in that home...especially not long term. It's probably purely an investment property. I dont know much about that area but in the US and the way their housing market is going...I bet that house sells for like $6 million if not a tad more within the next 2-3 years. That's a decent return. It's saying he bought the house brand new so the area is probably going to increase in value over the short term. Real estate investment provides great returns if done correctly....especially in the US and these luxury homes.
I don't know about a single family mansion as an investment property. Not a huge rental market for that kind of house so I expect he plans to live in it.

It's an interesting choice for sure.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 06:35 PM   #33
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Iggy gets another deal this year my money is on an Eastern team offering it up, Boston or otherwise.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #34
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
Iginla should have bought a home west of Calgary.
Well technically........
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:56 PM   #35
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

He must like the chowdah!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
He must like the chowdah!
Its pronounced 'chow-dare!'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #37
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boston is a nice city. He obviously enjoyed his time there while playing for the Bruins. Nothing odd to me in fact I would find it more odd if he retired in Canada given his US options.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #38
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
lol yeah give me snow shoveling for 4 months a year instead of golfing in 15 celsius
Or, you know, playing hockey (a better sport) outside for free. There's lots of positives to winter.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #39
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Or, you know, playing hockey (a better sport) outside for free. There's lots of positives to winter.
Yeah or just play floor hockey like me
Old 04-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I suppose if you like spending time indoors.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote