Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #81
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuar View Post
Conroy shouldn't even consider taking the position if it is offered to him.

Obviously the rumors about Eichel have a temper tantrum like a 2 year old were true. Eichel told ownership the Coach/Gm go or he doesn't re-sign with them.

It's not fair for a guy like Conroy to have to manage people like this for his first gig as a GM.

If he sits patiently in Calgary he will be our next GM when Treliving eventually takes Burke's job.
I don't agree with this,

Conroy needs to do what helps him advance in his career. There is no guarantee he would take over the GM role in Calgary and if and when Treliving either moves up in the franchise or onto another team is a big question mark.

If Craig has any aspirations of being a GM then he needs to take any opportunities that are presented to him.

I wish him all the best if he ever does decide to leave the Flames.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:51 PM   #82
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder if this is a somewhat similar situation to Brent Sutter/ Dave lowry.

Conroy looking outside the organization once it becomes increasingly clear his boss won't be back?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #83
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have the Sabres even asked for permission? You are hearing reports of them talking the Futa and trying to talk to Drury, but I don't recall anything about them asking the Flames to talk to Conroy.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #84
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Not that it is a big deal, but Conny is also an American citizen. Would be fairly easy to get the papers in order, and would be a huge "project" team much like Vancouver. He's no more in over his head as a rookie GM as Travis Green would be as a head coach. In fact, he probably has a leg up with more accumulated year's of NHL management experience.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #85
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun

I'm told Futa interviewed earlier this week with the Sabres... so Futa, Botterill, Guerin all among those already interviewed...
So far, no mention of Conroy being interviewed or the Flames being asked for permission to talk to him.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #86
guuar
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I don't agree with this,

Conroy needs to do what helps him advance in his career. There is no guarantee he would take over the GM role in Calgary and if and when Treliving either moves up in the franchise or onto another team is a big question mark.

If Craig has any aspirations of being a GM then he needs to take any opportunities that are presented to him.

I wish him all the best if he ever does decide to leave the Flames.
Couldn't be more wrong.

The Flames have had certain coaches decline the opportunity to coach in Calgary when they know the fit isn't right.

Conroy is incredibly smart. He's not going to accept the first job he's offered out of fear he won't ever be offered the opportunity again. However, if he took the Buffalo GM job and absolutely butchered that franchise it's likely he would never get another opportunity.

The ownership group fully expect that team to be contending and that is going to be difficult for any GM/Coach when you have players with attitudes such as Eichel and Kane. Tim Murray made a huge mistake giving O'Reilly a 7.5m contract as Eichel and Reinhart are going to expect even more.

Fact is outside of Okposo the quality of their wingers is brutal. If they lose Kulikov to free agency they have one legit D in Ristolainen. The team needs to upgrade players like Ennis, Moulson and Kane.

There is just too much that the GM is going to need to do to make this team capable of competing in that division. Yet the owners expect them to be contenders.

It's an absolute nightmare for any experienced GM let alone a rookie GM.
guuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:41 PM   #87
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Couldn't be more wrong.

The Flames have had certain coaches decline the opportunity to coach in Calgary when they know the fit isn't right.

Conroy is incredibly smart. He's not going to accept the first job he's offered out of fear he won't ever be offered the opportunity again. However, if he took the Buffalo GM job and absolutely butchered that franchise it's likely he would never get another opportunity.

The ownership group fully expect that team to be contending and that is going to be difficult for any GM/Coach when you have players with attitudes such as Eichel and Kane. Tim Murray made a huge mistake giving O'Reilly a 7.5m contract as Eichel and Reinhart are going to expect even more.

Fact is outside of Okposo the quality of their wingers is brutal. If they lose Kulikov to free agency they have one legit D in Ristolainen. The team needs to upgrade players like Ennis, Moulson and Kane.

There is just too much that the GM is going to need to do to make this team capable of competing in that division. Yet the owners expect them to be contenders.

It's an absolute nightmare for any experienced GM let alone a rookie GM.
This makes no sense to me at all. The risk of "butchering" a team is there no matter what situation. Conroy would likely love to be a GM and wouldn't turn down Buffalo's offer because he might ruin them.

Also, in what world is Sam Reinhart expecting north of $7.5milAAV? Eichel might not even get that.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #88
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
This makes no sense to me at all. The risk of "butchering" a team is there no matter what situation. Conroy would likely love to be a GM and wouldn't turn down Buffalo's offer because he might ruin them.

Also, in what world is Sam Reinhart expecting north of $7.5milAAV? Eichel might not even get that.
Yeah no kidding. And I think every GM in the league gives pending UFA Ryan O'Reilly a $7.5 million contract. Guy does everything, consistently.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #89
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

O'Reilly is the exact type of center you can build a team around. One of the most underrated players in the league IMO. Worth every penny of that 7.5m.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #90
guuar
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Eichel and McDavid should both be expecting near the MAX. Same thing with Auston Matthews. Especially if all 3 are able to repeat or build upon the production they demonstrated this season.

It's reasonable that just about every team in the league would give up four 1st round picks for any of McDavid, Eichel or Matthews. You instantly acquire that elite #1 center. Four 1st round picks on average will give you one solid NHL player.

I fully expect McDavid to be asking for 14M and it's likely Eichel and Matthews could both be getting offers of 10-12M.

Teams may no like it but this is the cost that is going to be associated with franchise generational type players. It's not like Buffalo did anything special to get Eichel. They intentionally lost games. I think Reinhart gets a deal similar to Monahans. Either way That could easily be tacking on 16-18M just for those two contracts.

Fact is Conroy is best off being promoted as a GM in Calgary. He knows the owners, the organizations structure and the players respect him. It's an ideal situation with less pressure.

Would you want to be the GM that lost Jack Eichel to an offer sheet. Nothing to stop the NY Rangers from Offering Eichel a 7 year $98 million offer sheet.

Kopitar has a 14M cap hit and it wouldn't be surprising if either of these three kids were offered the same.

Buffalo is already up against the cap. They have around 12M coming off this year and need to re-sign Kulikov and that is going to be at least 5m to 6m of that free space right there.

Quite frankly the Buffalo GM job might end up being one of the worst in the NHL.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:52 PM   #91
guuar
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah no kidding. And I think every GM in the league gives pending UFA Ryan O'Reilly a $7.5 million contract. Guy does everything, consistently.
So I guess the Flames should be getting prepared to lose Backlund then. Both are very similar players. Both are easily players that will be Top 5 to Top 10 Selke players.

Flames fans are hoping to get Backlund for $5M to $5.5M. Is O'relly worth an extra $2M to $2.5M on Backlund?
Old 04-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #92
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So I guess the Flames should be getting prepared to lose Backlund then. Both are very similar players. Both are easily players that will be Top 5 to Top 10 Selke players.

Flames fans are hoping to get Backlund for $5M to $5.5M. Is O'relly worth an extra $2M to $2.5M on Backlund?
Backlund could easily get 6+ on the open market, him taking ~5M would be the through the graciousness of the hometown (loyalty) discount.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #93
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Eichel and McDavid should both be expecting near the MAX. Same thing with Auston Matthews. Especially if all 3 are able to repeat or build upon the production they demonstrated this season.

It's reasonable that just about every team in the league would give up four 1st round picks for any of McDavid, Eichel or Matthews. You instantly acquire that elite #1 center. Four 1st round picks on average will give you one solid NHL player.

I fully expect McDavid to be asking for 14M and it's likely Eichel and Matthews could both be getting offers of 10-12M.

Teams may no like it but this is the cost that is going to be associated with franchise generational type players. It's not like Buffalo did anything special to get Eichel. They intentionally lost games. I think Reinhart gets a deal similar to Monahans. Either way That could easily be tacking on 16-18M just for those two contracts.

Fact is Conroy is best off being promoted as a GM in Calgary. He knows the owners, the organizations structure and the players respect him. It's an ideal situation with less pressure.

Would you want to be the GM that lost Jack Eichel to an offer sheet. Nothing to stop the NY Rangers from Offering Eichel a 7 year $98 million offer sheet.

Kopitar has a 14M cap hit and it wouldn't be surprising if either of these three kids were offered the same.

Buffalo is already up against the cap. They have around 12M coming off this year and need to re-sign Kulikov and that is going to be at least 5m to 6m of that free space right there.

Quite frankly the Buffalo GM job might end up being one of the worst in the NHL.
1. Neither player will get anywhere near $14. McDavid will likely be in the $11-12 range and Eichel in the $7-$8 range. Matthews too soon to say but likely in the $8-$10 range.

2. Reinhart would be lucky to get Monahan's deal. Monahan was coming off 31G/62P and 27G/63P campaigns while Reinhart has failed to score more than 47 points once. It's much more likely he signs a bridge deal OR a long term deal in the $5-$5.5 range.

3. Conroy being promoted to the GM spot in Calgary is not a guarantee, especially when we currently have (in my opinion) one of the best up and coming GM's in the league.

4. If the Rangers are stupid enough to offer that to Eichel (they aren't, no one is) then you say see ya later and let him walk.

5. Ask LA how that Kopitar deal is going for them right now.

6. Kulikov is likely gone anyways so no use worrying about that.

7. A GM job is still a GM job. Every team has their own unique sets of challenges. Buffalo may not be the most glamorous or easiest but it would still be a great opportunity for Conroy and I can't see him (or anyone offered the job) turning that down because they MIGHT get a better offer in the future.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #94
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Why do you think that? Monahan had two 60+ point seasons before he signed his deal... Reinhart hasn't broken 50.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #95
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Eichel doesn't deserve that.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #96
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Sounding like this is more media scuttlebutt/spitballing rather than a solid rumour with a source at this point.

I have no doubt though that Craig Conroy will be a NHL General Manager eventually.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #97
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Huge difference -- Backlund is 28 and only just broke 50 points. Lockout year aside, O'Reilly hasn't had less than 55 points in a season since he was a teenager. He also signed a contract for all his prime UFA playing years(25-31). Backlund will be pushing 30 when he goes UFA.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #98
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman says Flames gave permission for Conroy to interview for this job.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #99
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

What surprises me is of the Flames two AGMs, I would have thought that Pascall would be the one who would be looked at as a GM first.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #100
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Friedman says Flames gave permission for Conroy to interview for this job.
Well, that changes things. I guess it's on.

Best of luck Craig.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote