Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Default 2017 Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo

April 27th to 30th.

Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes have just been announced and will be recording Jay and Silent Bob Get Old podcast on Saturday night at the Corral as a separate ticketed event. They were hilarious when they did a show at grey eagle last year.

A number of guests have already been announced including Jeremy Renner, John Cusack, Nathan Fillion and Patrick Warburton.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Does the Celeb Fast Pass get premium access to the panels as well? It doesn't say on the site but I seem to remember that there was a way to get better access to the panels.

Last time I went I just wandered around the regular stuff. I'm not hugely interested in getting a signature or photo with a celebrity (I'd much rather get a signed something from a creator), but the one time I went that there was some panels I wanted to go to I remember each one being an unbelievable line.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year one of my clients got me some FireFly money signed by Alan Tudyk, this year hes taking it back to get it signed by Nathan Fillion as well. Going to be awesome!

I never get to go to ComicCon so I have to live vicariously.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #4
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
April 27th to 30th.

Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes have just been announced.
Sqweeeee!

Seriously stacked line-up this year... I'm gonna dig out my VHS copy of Clerks and get them to sign it if I can.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanked for 'Sqwee.'

I dont share your enthusiasm but I'll support it. Shine on.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Sqweeeee!

Seriously stacked line-up this year... I'm gonna dig out my VHS copy of Clerks and get them to sign it if I can.
Jason Mewes signed my Clerks etnies one year he came to Calgary by himself. Maybe I can get Kevin to sign the other shoe!
Old 03-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Does the Celeb Fast Pass get premium access to the panels as well? It doesn't say on the site but I seem to remember that there was a way to get better access to the panels.
Not anymore. That feature was removed in the Fast Pass revamp last year, as it was the least used and most confusing causing feature of the Fast Pass.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to get a signature of Renner on a Tales of Suspense #57 (first Hawkeye). Not that I'm big into signatures or anything, but would just be a cool memento to have. I just hope it doesn't cost me an arm or a leg. Anything >$100 and I'll probably pass.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #9
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://store.epicphotoops.com/calga...#jeremy-renner

$130, guess that answers my question!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

My kids would want a photo with Peter Capaldi but $120 for a photo with someone is ridiculous.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #11
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
My kids would want a photo with Peter Capaldi but $120 for a photo with someone is ridiculous.
$40 for a photo with Hodor is a steal of a deal compared to the rest. $95 to get a picture with Glen, c'mon. I liked him and all, but he's not a Darryl, Rick, Michonne, or Shane.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #12
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

First year I went I did the photo and signature thing with Bruce Campbell. Didn't really enjoy the standing in line for half a day to get that done so now we just go for the panels, walk through the exhibitions, people watching, and try out different board games. Makes for a much better time as the lines were a huge time sink.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #13
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

My son's and I did a photo with Stan Lee a few years ago when we thought it was his last time in Calgary. It was $80. He's a legend.

Most of these people have been on a few seasons of a TV show and are trying to cash in. I can't blame them but I'm surprised people will pay those prices.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #14
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping some good comics creators get announced.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #15
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Hoping some good comics creators get announced.
Cumulatively we've done not bad in the past 5 or so years. Tim Sale. Greg Rucka, J Scott Campbell, Jae Lee, Garth Ennis, among others but our Con has traditionally gone head to head with C2E2 in Chicago. I think that's why we've never gotten Kevin smith for example. But this year they are a week earlier.

The email I got today said they have more creator announcements coming March 14 so we will see. I'd love to get some of the big name Marvel and DC guys out. Heck a Marvel booth would be amazing. DC only came once and it was a tiny booth with no creators and they just handed out free comics and posters but had nothing else.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:41 PM   #16
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only other competing con that I know if is in Kansas City. And they have Jim Steranko, Howard Chaykin, Neal Adams, Ryan Browne, Frank Tieri, Cullen Bunn, Greg Land, and Jason Aaron booked. So far the ones I'm interested in that are coming to Calgary are Jim Shooter, Jim Zub, Scott Hana, and Steve Lieber.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #17
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think I would feel like a weirdo to pay someone to take a photo with me. I'd feel like a leech. I'm not saying that is how others should feel. I see the coolness in it too.

On the other side of the coin, I would also feel sleazy asking someone for 100 bucks to take a photo with me, especially if I were already loaded (I'm guessing guys like Cusack and Renner aren't exactly hurting for cash).

I don't think I'd spend more than twenty bucks for any photo even if it was with Jesus Christ himself (just so I could show people proof that he exists and in turn charge a million dollars for said photo)

Last edited by icecube; 03-07-2017 at 08:42 PM.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:42 PM   #18
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I think I would feel like a weirdo to pay someone to take a photo with someone. I would also feel sleazy asking someone for 100 bucks to take a photo with me, especially if I were already loaded (I'm guessing guys like Cusack and Renner aren't exactly hurting for cash).

I don't think I'd spend more than twenty bucks for any photo even if it was with Jesus Christ himself (just so I could show people proof that he exists and in turn charge a million dollars for said photo)
If it makes you feel any better it's not like you actually hand the hundred dollars to Jeremy Renner all crumpled and sweaty and then he counts it in front of you and tucks it into his cowboy boot.

I've never paid for a photo op or an autograph but I can understand why some people do.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:35 AM   #19
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

So why do these people charge the fans, who make them what they are, for auto's and photos?

Is that in lieu of an appearance fee for the venue? Or is it just a way of making income? I really don't get why it's gone this way. I can agree their time has value and they should be paid to be at conventions etc, unless they are there promoting a show, but to just charge a fan seems like a cash grab.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:54 AM   #20
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
So why do these people charge the fans, who make them what they are, for auto's and photos?

Is that in lieu of an appearance fee for the venue? Or is it just a way of making income? I really don't get why it's gone this way. I can agree their time has value and they should be paid to be at conventions etc, unless they are there promoting a show, but to just charge a fan seems like a cash grab.
I'm assuming they have a fee for an appearance, then the actual expo charges for the autographs/photos to make up for that fee. It's not like if you bumped into Jeremy Renner at Bass Pro Shop he'd ask for a hundo to take a selfie with him.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote