Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #681
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was taking my kid to babysit for a friend a couple or so weeks ago, early morning, needed to be there by 815. We decided to run over to Tim's to grab everyone coffee before I dropped her off. We'd just pulled into the parking spot and my kid was stepping out of the car to go in and grab the coffees and suddenly there is a cop next to our car, her side, firmly and urgently telling her to get back in the car. Eyeballs the size of saucers, she complied and jumped back in.

RCMP officer steps to the door of the car on her side and tells the woman inside to get out. The kid turns to me and says "Mum he's got his gun out!" and slinks herself down in the seat. "Should we go out the other side? His gun is drawn!" I peeked and yes gun was drawn and he was telling the woman to get out. Told the kid to stay put as we were told, that if we were in real danger that one of the other cops that had just arrived would likely come to my window and get us to leave the car so just sit tight.

This woman completely ignored the officer's commands to get out. Finally he reached in and grabbed her arm at which point she started to get up so it ended up being a bit of a she stood up and he pulled her out situation. Even once she was out though, she could not have been less cooperative and started struggling with the officer. Dumb move all around considering he's the cop, he was about 6 inches taller and likely outweighed her by 50 lbs at least - she was short and slight. He finally just maneuvered her up against our car and flipped her onto the ground (got a scratch on my car from his holster I presume but it'll buff out I'd imagine). She fussed and struggled the entire time, all indignant and full of "how dare you" attitude. His attitude was never out of line and his maneuver was fluid AF. She had a scrape on her face when he pulled her up but I'd say that was her own fault because she was the one thrashing around while he cuffed her. We never once saw a single action from him that one would consider out of bounds in any way. She of course, started yelling about police brutality while he's walking her to the cruiser but all of this happened in front of potentially 50 or more witnesses - there were multiple people fueling up, drive thru line was full, and everyone inside the Esso/Tims and those of us in vehicles beside hers. She was never mishandled or brutalized in any way and we'd have been happy to say so and I'd imagine others would as well. There were no comments or remarks about the officer made, just about the stupidity of the woman.

I was surprised to read after the fact, that the woman arrested next to us was only 41. She looked much older than that and just a guess but from the look of her, I'd imagine there's been a lot of substance abuse of some kind or the other (drugs, alcohol).

I'd never before seen an arrest close up like that. It was an educational experience. I daresay that most arrests happen similarly and people don't comply when told or in the manner they're instructed to. Had this woman obeyed immediately and in the manner she was instructed it would have taken about 90 seconds or less for everything - get out, get cuffed, get told what she was under arrest for and get walked to the cruiser. So I have my doubts as to whether the gentleman's story is completely true. I doubt it was all as innocent as he makes it out to be, for himself. I'm glad they're doing an investigation.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #682
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't doubt the guy's story at all. I'm not saying the whole story is known yet. But it looks pretty bad. Here's a pic of the guy...

He's 120 lbs, has a physical handicap that made it hard to get out of the car and looks like he's about 65 years old. He spent a night in the hospital and wasn't charged with a single thing.

Here's the story with a video...

http://globalnews.ca/news/3404590/ca...ion-of-events/

I know he didn't beat himself up. I know he wasn't able to offer any significant resistance. And I know he wasn't guilty of any crime. I also know cops get this sort of thing wrong all the time. So it doesn't look good in my books.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #683
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wait, so what actually happened then? CPS was very clear to point out that he was arrested for something and therefore people should know there's more to the story.

So if he wasn't charged then why would they go out of their way to say he was arrested, but leave out that he was never charged?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #684
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just last year three officers were charged with assault for beating up a guy they pulled over. Not only that, they made up a story of how he had marijuana on him and were roasted by Asirt.

When will people stop being blind that this stuff does happen and yes sometimes for no reason.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #685
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Wait, so what actually happened then? CPS was very clear to point out that he was arrested for something and therefore people should know there's more to the story.

So if he wasn't charged then why would they go out of their way to say he was arrested, but leave out that he was never charged?
Almost like there is an incomplete fact picture.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #686
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

Well, CPS was clear about saying it wasn't a case of mistaken identity...they knew the guy had a criminal record and they knew they were pulling him over and they suspected, though incorrectly, that he was involved in a drug deal. The story is clear that he wasn't charged. CPS seems to be simply saying they didn't just randomly boot @$#& some handicapped senior citizen for absolutely no reason. It sort of raises a public suspicion that the guy might be shady and thus the cops involved don't look quite so stupid. Again, the whole story isn't known.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #687
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Almost like there is an incomplete fact picture.
That's exactly what he's saying UCB.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #688
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Well, CPS was clear about saying it wasn't a case of mistaken identity...they knew the guy had a criminal record and they knew they were pulling him over and they suspected, though incorrectly, that he was involved in a drug deal. The story is clear that he wasn't charged. CPS seems to be simply saying they didn't just randomly boot @$#& some handicapped senior citizen for absolutely no reason. It sort of raises a public suspicion that the guy might be shady and thus the cops involved don't look quite so stupid. Again, the whole story isn't known.
I'd say there is a lot missing from the story.

They said that in addition to being known to police, he was/is under investigation by ALERT, who I don't think bother with the nickle and dime criminals. Also, why has he waited almost two months from the alleged incident to go to the media and essentially beg for a pro bono lawyer to represent him.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #689
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't doubt the guy's story at all. I'm not saying the whole story is known yet. But it looks pretty bad. Here's a pic of the guy...

He's 120 lbs, has a physical handicap that made it hard to get out of the car and looks like he's about 65 years old. He spent a night in the hospital and wasn't charged with a single thing.

Here's the story with a video...

http://globalnews.ca/news/3404590/ca...ion-of-events/

I know he didn't beat himself up. I know he wasn't able to offer any significant resistance. And I know he wasn't guilty of any crime. I also know cops get this sort of thing wrong all the time. So it doesn't look good in my books.
you KNOW all these things? How do you know? form reading/watching an interview with the guy?

Still think we're at the point where we should wait and see what the truth turns out to be.

oh, and just because I always have initial doubts about a story being completely factual doesn't mean I think the sun shines out of cops asses, or I'm just an apologist for them.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 04-26-2017 at 03:01 PM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #690
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
That's exactly what he's saying UCB.
Yeah I was being facetious.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #691
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
you KNOW all these things? How do you know? form reading/watching an interview with the guy?

Still think we're at the point where we should wait and see what the truth turns out to be.

oh, and just because I always have initial doubts about a story being completely factual doesn't mean I think the sun shines out of cops asses, or I'm just an apologist for them.
I know these things because I can't for the life of me think of any reason to pummel a disabled, 120 lbs senior citizen. There is no reason for that.

Anyway, CPS is already apologizing to the guy and paying for some of the damage they caused.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3407779/ca...during-arrest/

No further comment from CPS. I think the whole wait for the truth to come out is great but there are only so many versions of the truth and none of them really change what we know happened here. Psycho cops using too much force and zero brains.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #692
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know these things because I can't for the life of me think of any reason to pummel a disabled, 120 lbs senior citizen. There is no reason for that.

Anyway, CPS is already apologizing to the guy and paying for some of the damage they caused.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3407779/ca...during-arrest/

No further comment from CPS. I think the whole wait for the truth to come out is great but there are only so many versions of the truth and none of them really change what we know happened here. Psycho cops using too much force and zero brains.
Okay....then maybe the two stories were not as wildly far apart as we were led to believe. It still seems implausible.

I have to commend Les Komisnky though, he exudes dislikeability effortlessly.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #693
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What did cps apologize for?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #694
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come on MBates! This cant be allowed to stand! From the E=NG thread.

Quote:
"Saw a CPS Ford F-150 pulling into this location that had been vandalized," quipped the complainant, filing his report immediately outside the service's District 1 office on 26 Ave. S.E., the location of the purported hometown hockey heresy.

"Surely a representative of our community would never fly this horrible waste of nylon deliberately, and this officer was distracted while persons with sweatpants and good shoes placed this car flag on the truck."

In a written statement sent to Postmedia, Calgary police maintain the incident doesn't alter the service's mandated support of the "C of Red."

“Officers are not supposed to add anything to their marked vehicles, which would include flags," said the statement. "This policy makes sure there is a uniform look to our vehicles, prevents any accidental damage and ensures staff are not advocating for personal views through their position of trust.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/05/04...auses-fan-flap

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:24 PM   #695
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let's talk about how I was just brake checked by an undercover unit on Deerfoot in the right lane and then pulled over and given a $543 careless driving ticket. I swear he was baiting me to cut him off as he was doing 80 in the right lane. Stupid me did cut him off but that definitely felt like he was baiting cars.
Quote:
If I was making it up wouldn't I have said I didn't do anything wrong? When in fact I admitted to being in the wrong in the OP?

You don't have to believe me but calling me full of crap is uncalled for. I will be asking for disclosure including the dash cam video of the officer and will personally PM you relsolute so you can watch it and then you can apologize or you can keep acting like a petty child.
How is this going?

Quote:
Old 05-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #696
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
How is this going?
You've already brought this up in another thread and mentioned it was fitting when "this never happened" thanked my post. You're nothing but a troll that follows me around like a lost puppy.

Just like your "why" trolls that you were consistently called out on, this one isn't that subtle either so my answer to you is "none ya".

I'll PM who I said I would when disclosure comes in but frankly I won't prove anything to you because you're a troll and I won't give you the time of day.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #697
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You've already brought this up in another thread and mentioned it was fitting when "this never happened" thanked my post. You're nothing but a troll that follows me around like a lost puppy.

Just like your "why" trolls that you were consistently called out on, this one isn't that subtle either so my answer to you is "none ya".

I'll PM who I said I would when disclosure comes in but frankly I won't prove anything to you because you're a troll and I won't give you the time of day.
You are my favourite poster.

Quote:
Old 08-18-2017, 01:21 AM   #698
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

CPS adds a couple new pages to their website, detailing the work that the Professional Standards Section (complaints and compliments) has been up to, including the allegations and results, as well as walking folks through the process and showing the PSS Annual Report.

http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Publ...tigations.aspx
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 05:45 PM   #699
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

From what I am hearing, this trial might provide evidence of both the best and the worst of the CPS.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...lack-1.4255631

I understand an officer testified today against his fellow officers. Police video of the incident still to come.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 06:04 PM   #700
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man that's one messed up story. Kudos to the officer for testifying against those maniacs.