Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #141
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

So my Telus subscription seems to have given me all the IPL games on 909. Don't think I've ever watched the sport before but I kinda like it! I think I've watched more cricket this weekend than hockey.

It took a lot of googling to figure out what the hell was going on, but I think I've got the hang of it. Google also reveals a bunch of cricket purists who hate T20, but it sure made it easy for me to get into. I like it a lot. Seems like wickets don't matter though.

Anyone else watching this?
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 09:17 PM   #142
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
So my Telus subscription seems to have given me all the IPL games on 909. Don't think I've ever watched the sport before but I kinda like it! I think I've watched more cricket this weekend than hockey.

It took a lot of googling to figure out what the hell was going on, but I think I've got the hang of it. Google also reveals a bunch of cricket purists who hate T20, but it sure made it easy for me to get into. I like it a lot. Seems like wickets don't matter though.

Welcome aboard! Hey, that's how I learned the game too, by watching and googling to understand what was going on. Personally I don't catch much IPL since its on in the middle of the night for me, but high level T20 is definitely a fast and exciting format of the game and it does bring in a lot of new fans. I agree that the wickets don't matter that much (but keep in mind IPL batting lineups are STACKED) and that's the main reason long time cricket fans aren't so keen on it. It is fun to watch them smash it around and put up big scores, but the longer formats require more technique, strategy and stamina.

If you want to ease yourself into the longer forms, I'd recommend watching the Champions Trophy this June. It's soirt of like a mini world cup with only the 8 top ranked countries, playing the 50-over one day international format. It starts right after the IPL wraps up too so if you're hooked and need your fix that should be the natural progression!
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #143
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Same here, I've been watching a lot of it lately. It seems like RCB just put up an all-time bad performance, pretty neat to have watched that. I also thought wickets didn't matter but they definitely did in that match. I think my favorite team will be PRS for now, love the name.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:03 AM   #144
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to see some new cricket fans! I don't watch much of the IPL due to the time change but love T20. It is a very fan friendly sport with lots of excitement and the shorter length games are a big bonus. Run rate is what matters most although you still need to protect your wickets. Definitely give test cricket a try. It can be dull at times but is a true test of cricket skill and endurance.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:09 AM   #145
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

India owns the ICC basically thats why u see them cheating all the time.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #146
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Same here, I've been watching a lot of it lately. It seems like RCB just put up an all-time bad performance, pretty neat to have watched that. I also thought wickets didn't matter but they definitely did in that match. I think my favorite team will be PRS for now, love the name.
The best match was the RPS / SRH match on Saturday. It came down to the last ball with RPS down by 1 and the guy hit it for 4 for the win. I'm also on the RPS bandwagon. Partly because of that, but mainly because I'm with you that the name Rising Pune Supergiants is the greatest team name in the history of sports.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #147
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our Rising Pune Supergiants are taking on those Mumbai Indians losers tonight. Don't like them because of the flashy gold numbering on their jerseys.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #148
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The best match was the RPS / SRH match on Saturday. It came down to the last ball with RPS down by 1 and the guy hit it for 4 for the win. I'm also on the RPS bandwagon. Partly because of that, but mainly because I'm with you that the name Rising Pune Supergiants is the greatest team name in the history of sports.
Yeah I caught that one as well. MS Dhoni is some kind of legend apparently.

Im watching MI vs PRS right now, PRS off to a decent start.

Last edited by bigrangy; 04-24-2017 at 07:41 PM.
bigrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #149
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright. 160 for the good guys. Hope they can hold them.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #150
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rising Pune Supergiants for the win!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #151
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I love the IPL and was glad to see it back on Telus for whatever reason. If you are talking about the KKR v RCB game, then you saw something I've never seen before. Both teams were bowled out (10 wickets before 20-overs completed) when a typical 20-over game sees 3 or so wickets per team. It was a crazy impressive stand for KKR after putting up 132 in their innings; a team usually needs 180+ in order to defend and have a shot at winning.

TL;DR (or didn't really understand) - that game was an anomaly for T20 cricket. Most games go the full 20 overs and watching the team chase down a total in the final overs is usually really exciting.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #152
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

here's the old IPL thread started in 2011 (when it was on tv)
lots of rules discussion there.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=104282

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #153
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the name of the channel that is carrying it on Telus? Anything similar for Shaw? I subscribed to willow.tv a couple of years ago for IPL, but they don't carry it anymore either. There is an online subscription available through another site now (edit: cricketgateway.com), but I will admit that I haven't been motivated to subscribe this year, although I do miss it.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 04-25-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #154
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
What is the name of the channel that is carrying it on Telus? Anything similar for Shaw? I subscribed to willow.tv a couple of years ago for IPL, but they don't carry it anymore either. There is an online subscription available through another site now (edit: cricketgateway.com), but I will admit that I haven't been motivated to subscribe this year, although I do miss it.
"GSPORTS" I believe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 03:42 AM   #155
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

RCB loses spectacularly again, this time to RPS

Glad I picked the team I did
Old 05-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #156
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally got around to watching the RPS vs SRH game I had PVR'd

Didn't think there was any chance they'd reach a defendable total, but then Dhoni came through with a huge thirty, and even then I still didn't think 149 would be enough, but bowling and fielding was solid and now RPS is #2!
Old 05-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #157
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another great fielding performance plus some clutch batting from Dhoni and RPS are into the final!

Go RPS!
Old 05-16-2017, 11:39 PM   #158
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Washington might be giving Dhoni a run for my favourite player. Just a kid and all he does is get wickets. Though Steve Smith's lock tight hands might have something to say about that. No idea how these guys catch these balls. But who am I kidding, Dhoni mashing takes the cake.

Go Rising Pune Supergiant! Love that I lucked into rooting for this team.

Also hope these flashy gold plated Mumbai Indians get smoked in the semis. Would like to see KKR put up 200 against them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #159
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

KKR is through after their Eliminator match with SRH was rain delayed. SRH batted and put up 128-7 off all 20 overs but the rain started, the match was delayed, and so KKR was given a target of 48 off of 6 overs. KKR chased easily but now there is some uproar that the formula that determined the chase score is flawed. Through my very, very limited experience watching cricket, I would say that both targets are probably about equivalent. 128 off 120 balls is kind of awful and is only a ~6.5 R/O, while 48 off 36 balls is generally an ok powerplay score and is 8 R/O.

What do the more knowledegable cricket folk think?

KKR faces MI for a spot in the final against RPS!
Old 05-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #160
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
KKR is through after their Eliminator match with SRH was rain delayed. SRH batted and put up 128-7 off all 20 overs but the rain started, the match was delayed, and so KKR was given a target of 48 off of 6 overs. KKR chased easily but now there is some uproar that the formula that determined the chase score is flawed. Through my very, very limited experience watching cricket, I would say that both targets are probably about equivalent. 128 off 120 balls is kind of awful and is only a ~6.5 R/O, while 48 off 36 balls is generally an ok powerplay score and is 8 R/O.

What do the more knowledegable cricket folk think?

KKR faces MI for a spot in the final against RPS!
Uses Duckworth-Lewis formula.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duckwo...93Lewis_method

The "uproar" wouldn't be so much if you can acheive 48 in 6 overs but more of 48 runs for 10 wickets. You can go balls to wall and try to hit everything out cause you have so many batsman in the hut. The method has been around for a long time and not going anywhere.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post: