Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #161
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
adjourned for the day, for whatever reason.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/liv...ict-trial-live
Judge had to phone his bank to make sure that the check cleared.

Once again this shows that if your rich and or famous your going to get breaks that us normal people don't get.

I looked back at what the prosecution did, and I just don't see how the Judge can arrive at this verdict.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #162
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Wow. There's going to be lots of people scratching their heads at this one around the world.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #163
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

NO part of my is surprised that a South Africian court has ruled this way.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #164
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
As he fired four bullets into the bathroom of his home in Pretoria on Valentine's Day last year, he did not foresee the "possibility that he would kill the person behind the door, let alone the deceased, as he thought she was in the bedroom at the time," Masipa said.

Evidence suggests that Pistorius genuinely believed the person in the bathroom was an intruder, although that is irrelevant to the case, the judge said.
Quote:
Masipa cast doubt on witness testimony and said she believes media coverage contaminated testimonies. She doubted state witnesses, saying they were in and out of sleep the night of the killing
Quote:
She described the victim's wound as "immediately incapacitating" and said she believed a scream heard by witnesses the night of the killing was Pistorius,' not Steenkamp's.

The judge appeared to be accepting the defense timeline of events that the shots came first, then screaming that must have been Pistorius.

She knocked down some aspects of the state's case: the fact that Steenkamp took her phone and locked herself in the bathroom allegedly out of fear for her safety, phone messages between the couple that showed some rocky patches, and her stomach contents.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/11/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old 09-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #165
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wow, reading through that is pretty stunning, the judge seems to be jumping to a lot of conclusions, especially around the time line.

I wouldn't be shocked if she hands out a wrist slap in sentencing and sends him on his way. It sounds like she also chose to ignore the phone messages that pointed to a troubled relationship

Hopefully nobody pays this guy to race ever again.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #166
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

It seems absolutely rigged. Basically gives Oscar the benefit of the doubt in every scenario.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #167
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Thanks, I guess that's what I was trying to say.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:32 AM   #168
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
A South African judge on Friday found Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide, or negligent killing, in the shooting death of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp and declared him not guilty of murder.

The sentence for a culpable homicide conviction is at the judge's discretion, and it can range from a suspended sentence and a fine to up to a maximum of 15 years in prison. Sentencing was expected to be announced at a later date, when both sides could present arguments ahead of the same judge.
http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackand...pable-homicide
Old 09-12-2014, 04:47 AM   #169
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Judge's discretion? This should be interesting.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #170
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately it sounds like it'll be more surprising if he gets any jail time than if he walks. Seen a few experts say that this conviction usually does not result in jail time, so most likely it'll be a fine and suspended sentence or house arrest. His absurd histrionics make him a prime suicide candidate in jail, so the judge will probably not even consider sending him.
Quote:
The prosecution, she said, had failed to bring “strong circumstantial evidence” to support its case of murder, while Mr. Pistorius’s version of events “could reasonably be true.”

After the shooting, Mr. Pistorius had been prompt in calling for help, the judge said. He prayed to God and sought to resuscitate Ms. Steenkamp, a model and law-school graduate, and his behavior, the judge said, “was inconsistent” with that of someone who wanted to commit murder.

Moreover, she said, “it cannot be said that the accused did not entertain a genuine belief that there was an intruder in the house.” He could thus not be found guilty on murder charges, Judge Masipa said
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/13/wo...=top-news&_r=1
Old 09-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #171
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I have not been following the case and the evidence that closely. Seems to me if it was reasonably "possible" Oscar thought it was an intruder, the Judge could not conclude premeditated murder, and had to go with a lesser count of manslaughter. It is hard to prove a circumstantial case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Did he "probably" murder her? That seems likely, but likely is not as high a standard as beyond a reasonable doubt.

I'm also assuming the law in South Africa is similar to ours.

Last edited by troutman; 09-12-2014 at 08:43 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #172
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think this case proves that in law the end always depends on interpretation of the judge or jury on what is reasonable or not.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #173
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hate it when people get away with murder. "Reasonable doubt" yeah right. I just hate how everything points to him murdering her but since there's a tiny smidgen of doubt he gets away with it and the victim's family have to cope with no justice paid for their loss. I hope this guys life falls apart like OJ's.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #174
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

He made most of his money from endorsement. I don't think he'll be in high demand in that regard anymore. Even if there's no jail term for him, he's ruined financially like OJ Simspon was.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #175
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I have not been following the case and the evidence that closely. Seems to me if it was reasonably "possible" Oscar thought it was an intruder, the Judge could not conclude premeditated murder, and had to go with a lesser count of manslaughter. It is hard to prove a circumstantial case beyond a reasonable doubt.

Did he "probably" murder her? That seems likely, but likely is not as high a standard as beyond a reasonable doubt.

I'm also assuming the law in South Africa is similar to ours.
It just might be the application of that law that differs.............

Quote:
Old 09-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #176
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I just hate it when people get away with murder. "Reasonable doubt" yeah right. I just hate how everything points to him murdering her but since there's a tiny smidgen of doubt he gets away with it and the victim's family have to cope with no justice paid for their loss. I hope this guys life falls apart like OJ's.
That's just your point of view and obviously not the judge's.
Personally, I don't think the prosecution's case made a lot of sense and agree with the ruling.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #177
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, the South African OJ.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #178
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem is if he stays in South Africa, how safe will the guy be? Seems to be the wild west at times down there. You gotta think apartheid and such is still an underlying issue with a lot of folks. He may be set free but he's probably going to be looking over his shoulder every minute down there. Doubt he's seen as a victim by anyone. OJ was seen as a victim by many black individuals who thought he was discriminated against. This guy I don't think has the same supporters, but probably just as many enemies.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #179
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
The problem is if he stays in South Africa, how safe will the guy be? Seems to be the wild west at times down there. You gotta think apartheid and such is still an underlying issue with a lot of folks. He may be set free but he's probably going to be looking over his shoulder every minute down there. Doubt he's seen as a victim by anyone. OJ was seen as a victim by many black individuals who thought he was discriminated against. This guy I don't think has the same supporters, but probably just as many enemies.

He and his dead girlfriend are white.

I don't think this has the same race issues OJ had.

You are correct that from a safety aspect, SA is a gong show. That being said he has plenty of money, and if you have plenty of money SA can be a safe place to live.

Quote:
Old 10-21-2014, 02:56 AM   #180
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 Years for the crime...Id say he got away with it.
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/pistorius-...5065--spt.html
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote