Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2017, 10:11 AM   #1281
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO winning at 35 in this day and age is more impressive than when Ash and Rosewall did it as players are in much better shape and the speed of the game is so much faster. He's without a doubt the greatest male tennis player of all time.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #1282
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
14 straight wins without dropping a set for Roger. He's serving like he did in 14-15, but the ground game is so much more lethal. Be interesting to see how he plans his run up to New York, Cincinnati seems a given, but Montreal might be skipped. Either way if he keeps serving like he has he's going to be tough to beat. I would also imagine his days of playing clay are now over given how this year has played out. No point wasting the energy and effort for unlikely wins.
I think he would want to play the French one last time, don't you?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #1283
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

what's left for roger this year?

one of Montreal/Cincinnati and US Open.

Shanghai and WTF?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:52 PM   #1284
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Polansky lost a 3-setter in the Winnipeg final.

Canadians are in Gatineau this week
http://www.protennislive.com/posting/2017/7557/mds.pdf

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #1285
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just saw a video of Kim Clijsters inviting a guy from the stands to return serve at Wimbledon, hilarious. Cant get the link to copy over though.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #1286
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Felix has a wrist injury and has pulled out of the Rogers Cup.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tennis/canad...ws-rogers-cup/
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #1287
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Just saw a video of Kim Clijsters inviting a guy from the stands to return serve at Wimbledon, hilarious. Cant get the link to copy over though.

Kim Clijsters is a gem! Sure do miss her on tour.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #1288
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope he plays Montreal, I have tickets and going to watch the tournament!

Rogers Cup is in such a weird spot on the schedule. Canada and Cincinnati are back to back, and then the one week break before the US open. As a tune-up, Cincy is in by far the better spot.

Not sure what they can really do about it. I guess the best would be to push it one week earlier, but maybe the players enjoy the slight extended summer break between Wimbledon and the hardcourt season.

The only thing keeping my hope to see him in Montreal alive is that he was basically unchallenged in Wimbledon. I'd expect him to be at least physically capable of doing both Canada and Cincy back to back, but the problem these days is likely he'd prefer the extra time to spend with his family.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #1289
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cilic is my guy, so I feel for him. Would have been only the 2nd Croatian to win Wimbledon.

Couldn't pick a better or classier guy to lose to though, congrats to Roger on being the GOAT.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #1290
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I think he would want to play the French one last time, don't you?
I think he'd prefer to win Wimbledon 2-3 more times. And that'll never happen if he grinds himself down on clay, for what amounts to a less than 5% chance of actually winning the French. If he skips the French and is healthy and focused, he's gotta be at worst a 33% shot to win at least one more Wimbledon, given what we just saw. If anything, maybe he plays Aussie, skips the winter hard court run, and plays one clay warm up and one FO, but that seems so unlikely, basically would play one tournament in five months, and a major at that. Clay is just not worth it, too physically taxing and far too many middling overall players who are actually very dangerous on clay only. From a math perspective, he has no real reason or incentive to play it ever again.

As far as Fed playing Montreal, I'd be surprised. His track record in Canada pales to what it is in Cincinnati, and unlike playing Indian Wells and Miami back to back, there's not the extended field of Miami that could give him a few extra days off, and there's a major two weeks after Cincy unlike there being nothing after Miami. That said given that he's followed his two losses this year with two tournament wins, perhaps he should play Montreal with the intention to tank, setting himself up for the next two tournaments which are what he really wants.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #1291
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Total prize money tops $50 million at this year's US Open...If you lose in the first round of singles, you still pocket a cool 50 grand.

http://www.tsn.ca/us-open-winners-to...llion-1.807485
Old 07-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #1292
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Total prize money tops $50 million at this year's US Open...If you lose in the first round of singles, you still pocket a cool 50 grand.

http://www.tsn.ca/us-open-winners-to...llion-1.807485
what's the over/under for round one retirements? that's a tasty payday for potentially half an hour of work.

in other news, hungover Fed has some real talk for the kids on tour:

Quote:
“I know you can easily get sucked into that [attritional] mode when you don’t want to attack but, if you can’t volley, you are not going to the net,” Federer said the morning after his Wimbledon victory. “Almost every player I played here wouldn’t serve and volley. It’s frightening to me, to see that at this level.”

“Every generation definitely is different,” Federer said. “Since my generation and Rafa’s generation, the next one hasn’t been strong enough to push all of us out really, so that has been helpful for us to stick around. A young guy, if he wants to make a breakthrough, he can beat me or any top player, but, if he doesn’t make a run to the final or win the tournament, he’s not making any move in the rankings.”

“I look at the stats and, whatever round it is, I see that the guy I’m going to face is playing 2 percent of serve and volley throughout the championship. I’m going, OK, I know he’s not going to serve and volley – which is great for me. And the grass was playing fast this week. I wish that we would see more coaches, more players taking chances up at the net, because good things do happen there,” Federer said.
http://nypost.com/2017/07/18/why-rog...sily-destroys/
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #1293
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Full presser.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:39 AM   #1294
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Denis Shapovalov, Brayden Schnur, and Peter Polansky advanced in the ATP Challenger event in Gatineau yesterday. On the women's side, Carson Branstine and Aleksandra Wozniak were victorious.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 07-19-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #1295
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Tennis Integrity Unit has reportedly flagged three Wimbledon 2017 matches on suspicions of match fixing.

On Wednesday, BuzzFeed News' John Templon reported "suspicious betting patterns" caught the attention of the task force during the early stages of play at the All England Club in London.

Two of the matches under investigation were during the qualifying rounds, while the other was reportedly during the main draw.

It's unclear if the matches in question were on the men's or women's side of the draw.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
Old 07-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #1296
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Denis Shapovalov into the quarter-finals in Gatineau with a 6-0 6-2 win earlier today.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #1297
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another nice win for Denis Shapovalov today as he defeats Thomas Fabbiano (currently ranked #86 in the world) 6-3 3-6 6-3 to move in to the semi-finals in Gatineau.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:13 PM   #1298
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Peter Polansky has also reached the semi-finals in Gatineau and there's a chance we could see an all-Canadian final.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #1299
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Indeed it will be an all-Canadian final on Sunday as both Peter Polansky and Denis Shapovalov won their semi-final matches today
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #1300
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Denis takes the title in Gatineau as he defeats compatriot Peter Polansky 6-1 3-6 6-3.