Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-16-2016, 05:30 AM   #481
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just over a year ago, quite a few people on here wanted the compensatory 2nd rounder instead of Janko.

Amazing what a little bit of patience can do.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #482
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
#Flames top goaltending prospect Jon Gillies will return to practice with AHL Stockton today. Missed two games with minor injury.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #483
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Can't we enjoy our guys without ####ting all over guys from the past?
Meh, I really don't see what the issue is. The Colborne comparison has been out there for years sometimes used by detractors as Jankowski's upside. It's interesting to continue to evaluate each path and see why one guy is transitioning well to the pro game and why another did "Okay" in the AHL and has become a marginal NHL player... IMO it's hockey sense.

Obviously though Colborne's career isn't over and Jankowski still has lots of path in front of him, but it's interesting to discuss.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #484
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

So does Mangiapane, Jankowski or Klimchuk come up now that Johnny is out?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #485
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
So does Mangiapane, Jankowski or Klimchuk come up now that Johnny is out?
Probably none at that moment. Shinkaruk can draw back in the line up, Versteeg is close to returning IIRC.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #486
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Meh, I really don't see what the issue is. The Colborne comparison has been out there for years sometimes used by detractors as Jankowski's upside. It's interesting to continue to evaluate each path and see why one guy is transitioning well to the pro game and why another did "Okay" in the AHL and has become a marginal NHL player... IMO it's hockey sense.

Obviously though Colborne's career isn't over and Jankowski still has lots of path in front of him, but it's interesting to discuss.
LOL, it was also you using Colborne in a positive light who could be compared to Jankowski. Since then of course Colborne is now thought of as no good and so he can't be used. Why don't we just let the two players do what they do.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #487
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
LOL, it was also you using Colborne in a positive light who could be compared to Jankowski. Since then of course Colborne is now thought of as no good and so he can't be used. Why don't we just let the two players do what they do.
Haha
Old 11-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #488
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Normally I would agree, but Colborne made the choice not to return to his hometown Flames. He can thank the Flames for developing him instead of giving up on him due to his low hockey IQ.

We don't owe him anything so I say good riddens.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #489
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Normally I would agree, but Colborne made the choice not to return to his hometown Flames. He can thank the Flames for developing him instead of giving up on him due to his low hockey IQ.

We don't owe him anything so I say good riddens.
How do you figure? Treliving had RFA rights on Colbourne still, and instead walked away!?
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #490
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
How do you figure? Treliving had RFA rights on Colbourne still, and instead walked away!?
It was going to arbitration, leading to more money then Calgary thought he was worth. Had he wanted less money something could have been worked out. Nothing wrong with him wanting more money, but leaving was his choice.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:46 PM   #491
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
It was going to arbitration, leading to more money then Calgary thought he was worth. Had he wanted less money something could have been worked out. Nothing wrong with him wanting more money, but leaving was his choice.
Right, but IIRC Colborne was offered 2.5mil to stay here as well. Maybe he figured there was more money elsewhere and had to settle on Colorado but either way I don't think he needs to be some highly regarded ex-flame devout of criticism.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:21 PM   #492
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Right, but IIRC Colborne was offered 2.5mil to stay here as well. Maybe he figured there was more money elsewhere and had to settle on Colorado but either way I don't think he needs to be some highly regarded ex-flame devout of criticism.
Treliving alluded during the press conference that Calgary had put more on the table than what Colborne signed for in Colorado. Probably not much more, but more nonetheless.

I just figured that it was a painful negotiation, and Colborne decided to head in a new direction.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #493
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Treliving alluded during the press conference that Calgary had put more on the table than what Colborne signed for in Colorado. Probably not much more, but more nonetheless.

I just figured that it was a painful negotiation, and Colborne decided to head in a new direction.
He likely didn't want to stay with a team that felt that he wasn't worth what he would get in arbitration. I don't think the money was a concern for him.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:40 PM   #494
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

He was probably insulted about not getting a QO, I know I would have been, especially with the GM saying he isn't worth the money he might get in arbitration. It wasn't handled well by Treliving at all IMO.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:07 AM   #495
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
He was probably insulted about not getting a QO, I know I would have been, especially with the GM saying he isn't worth the money he might get in arbitration. It wasn't handled well by Treliving at all IMO.
I am not sure he was insulted necessarily by not getting his QO. They did negotiate after that. Feelings may have been hurt as Treliving probably had to tell him why he felt he wasn't worth whatever amount Colborne was looking to sign for. Probably something similar to an arbitration case. That is how I imagined it working out anyways.

I like Colborne, and I do think he would have been helping this team as a solid depth player right now, but I am not sure that I would say Treliving handled it wrong. Just a tough circumstance all around is what I think of the situation. Handling it wrong would have been to give Colborne the QO and then risking arbitration on top of it.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:36 PM   #496
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't miss Colborne. Would be surprised if many do. Jankowski is exciting though!
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #497
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Colborne would not change our fortunes, easy come, easy go. No point in worrying now, especially with Janko in the queue.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:12 AM   #498
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Unless Monahan picks up the pace I expect Jankowski to be our #1 centre in a couple of years..He will at least be our #2
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #499
bigbadboss101
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Monahan got lucky. If Backlund was playing with Johnny he would be the $6M guy. Not a fan of Monnny.
bigbadboss101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #500
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

This sure is some good Stockton Heat discussion.