Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #2201
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is Hart still the first choice keeper for England?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #2202
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good question. He shouldn't be. I imagine Southgate will clarify the position in late August, leading up to the 3 WC qualifiers in early September. I'd hazard he starts Hart vs Malta, to get a feel of where his head is at vs the weaker & earliest of the 3.

I'd like to see Pickford play vs either Slovenia or Slovakia; and win the starting job.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #2203
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pickford, Forster and Butland should be the three going forward. They are all better than Hart.

West Ham also on the verge of signing Marko Arnautovic from Stoke it seems.

EDIT: and there it is.

BBC Sport ✔ @BBCSport
West Ham have agreed a deal with Stoke City to sign Marko Arnautovic. More: http://bbc.in/2tnbk0J

BY FAR the most expensive Austrian player ever.

Last edited by devo22; 07-18-2017 at 11:54 AM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #2204
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Of course its a loan because it likely means they dont have to pay 100% of his wages.
actually they do. Kind of.

James Ducker‏ @TelegraphDucker
#whufc will pay £2.5m of Hart's £4.5m wages. They also pay £2m to #mcfc who, in turn, give that to Hart to cover shortfall in wages

so that's equivalent to "no loan fee, but full wages". My guess would be that this arrangement circumvents an internal wage structure, but at the end of the day, it's just semantics.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #2205
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

NHL teams should try this "retain salary but send money back" approach to circumvent the cap....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #2206
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

And there it is...

http://www.espnfc.com/story/3161370/...-join-west-ham
Old 07-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #2207
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chicharito wearing that shirt is going to be vomit-inducing. Yuck.

Chelsea have in the mean time signed Alvaro Morata. As expected, really.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #2208
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Chicharito wearing that shirt is going to be vomit-inducing. Yuck.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #2209
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Morata will be a United player by the end of the week for sure.
Quote:
I think with their heavy spending so far it's obvious that Lukaku to Chelsea is going to happen.
Quote:
Chelsea have in the mean time signed Alvaro Morata. As expected, really.

Rather melodramatic response to lilpea signing with the hammers. It's indifference really.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 11:00 PM   #2210
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man United looked good against City at the International Cup. New striker scoring goals is a good thing'
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:08 AM   #2211
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

That they did. Lukaku is a monster out there. That left footed hooking shot, rocketed off the iron.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:30 AM   #2212
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post

Rather melodramatic response to lilpea signing with the hammers. It's indifference really.
me? Being melodramatic? Never nah, hope Chicharito does well. One of my favourites when he was at United.

Only preseason, but cautiously optimistic about what United has shown so far. Mkhitaryan as a 10 is looking fantastic and Lukaku/Rashford could form a great partnership up front. Can't wait for Sunday, the match against Real is going to be interesting ... and with an 11pm kick-off, I might even catch a bit of it live
Old 07-21-2017, 06:14 AM   #2213
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently Mourinho is getting into comedy? Its the only explanation...http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foot...-a3592961.html
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:46 AM   #2214
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

of course he's trolling. He's just his usual dramatic self because he hasn't got all the players he wants yet. But really, they've got two good players in - that's okay in my book. Liverpool and Arsenal haven't done more either, and Tottenham again have been sitting on their hands.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:09 AM   #2215
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
of course he's trolling. He's just his usual dramatic self because he hasn't got all the players he wants yet. But really, they've got two good players in - that's okay in my book. Liverpool and Arsenal haven't done more either, and Tottenham again have been sitting on their hands.
I'm not worried about Spurs not buying players at this point. We have the youngest squad in the league, and been showing huge improvements each year under Poch. Add to that the fact that few if any of these players who have moved would make the starting team (obviously with Walker as a notable exception...possibly) and it's fine.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #2216
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm not worried about Spurs not buying players at this point. We have the youngest squad in the league, and been showing huge improvements each year under Poch. Add to that the fact that few if any of these players who have moved would make the starting team (obviously with Walker as a notable exception...possibly) and it's fine.
Spurs still need more depth up top and someone to cover for Song and Lamela. The starting XI is as good as any in the league but the depth is severely lacking and likely means an early exit from the CL again if they don't fix it.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #2217
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Spurs still need more depth up top and someone to cover for Song and Lamela. The starting XI is as good as any in the league but the depth is severely lacking and likely means an early exit from the CL again if they don't fix it.
Yeah, I agree with that, and I think they're looking. Probably for someone to step-in to RB as well, unless KWP is good enough already. I think it's clear that depth is their major issue and I don't doubt that they'll be signing some players. I would've liked to see them get their work done early for a change, but hopefully in short order they sign some players and get them integrated into their system.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #2218
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah, I agree with that, and I think they're looking. Probably for someone to step-in to RB as well, unless KWP is good enough already. I think it's clear that depth is their major issue and I don't doubt that they'll be signing some players. I would've liked to see them get their work done early for a change, but hopefully in short order they sign some players and get them integrated into their system.
I actually don't mind them waiting for the transfer madness to die down before getting involved. There are decent depth players to be had without breaking the bank.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #2219
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good news for the Premier League though:

Quote:
The Confederation of African Football's executive committee has approved two major changes to the continent's top tournament , expanding it from 16 to 24 teams from 2019 and moving it from the beginning of the year to June-July.

CAF expects the first change to significantly increase revenue from the African Cup of Nations, its flagship tournament, and follows the lead of the European Championship, which expanded to 24 teams last year.

The tournament has traditionally been held in January and February, long causing disputes with European clubs who lose their players in the middle of a domestic campaign.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-a7852881.html

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 07-21-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #2220
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like United are closing in on Matic. The fee is going to be ugly, especially after the Lukaku thing (several newspapers are already talking about a "Lukaku tax") ... but yeah, I hope he'll be a good fit. The Guardian says that Eric Dier was the main target, but Tottenham turned down three United bids and Chelsea have been much more receptive to selling Matic. I still don't get why United don't just sign Fabinho instead, who's desperate for a move ...