Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2017, 01:10 AM   #1
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:
Icon35 Islanders pull off grand Larsson-y

Sorry for another thread, but this is an even bigger trade and it deserves some spotlight attention.

To the Philadelphia Flyers:

RW Tobias Rieder
D Madison Bowey
2018 2nd-round pick (PHI)
2018 2nd-round pick (CGY)

To the New York Islanders:

D Adam Larsson
C Frans Nielsen

My new lineup:

Bailey - Krejci - Vanek
Marchessault - Nielsen - Frolik
Teravainen - Brassard - Sheary
Komarov - Ryan - Karlsson
Pyatt/Schaller

Byfuglien - Larsson
Manson - Martin
Hickey - Merrill
Miller - Ruhwedel

Rask
Johnson

There are some more additions that will hopefully happen in the next little while but I really like the look of this team.

Thanks to JonDuke for the negotiations... we nearly reached an impasse at the end but we fought through. I think we pulled off a great deal.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #2
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that deal for you
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One of the better deals you have made imo.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice value
Old 05-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good deal. Fits the needs of both sides.

Goffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've been trying to move Nielsen for a while and wanted to spend his $5.0 elsewhere. He was great for us last year and has a solid DF and FO rating, but his OV will probably drop and we opted to go with a Backstrom/Duchene combo down the middle instead.

Larsson was semi-tough to part with. Yeah, he's an Oiler but he was a great defensive D for us, leading the team in blocked shots for 2 years. We wanted no part of the raise he's due for though and with a few of our D needing raises, thought this made sense. I think Larsson will pair up amazingly with Big Buff and we're excited for the Isles, and to see if they can get some chemistry. Scorp's made some decent moves recently and his team looks pretty promising.

I've always liked Reider's potential so we're happy with acquiring him and getting some additional futures in return as well.

We're not done and still have a D to move. Might pair him up with an existing forward to get an upgrade to our top 6.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If JD's giving a rationale then so am I, friendo!

In the two deals yesterday I was trying not to get fleeced, end of story. I looked at what it cost to acquire each of the players involved in the deal, and tried to make these deals as even as possible.

In the Teravainen-Vatanen deal, I had conversations with Grant regarding a ton of young guys who we could centre the deal around. At first, I wanted Lindholm, but we eventually settled on Teravainen +. Fine with me, TT is pretty good and fills a positional need. Grant wanted to do it 1-for-1, but I insisted upon him adding since I paid a lot for Vatanen and Teravainen isn't as valuable. So, he added Madison Bowey, who I was really happy to get since previously, Bowey had fetched Olli Maatta 1-for-1 in a trade. We also ended up swapping picks so I could go higher. I was okay with trading Vatanen because I saw that something could happen around Larsson.

In this deal, at first it was going to revolve around Sheary but I was really hesitant to move him since he's still cheap for another year and is due for a terrific re-rate. So I asked if we could go around Rieder, who's a worse scorer and is due for a new contract. I did trade Cheese a first-rounder for Rieder a while ago, but that was generally thought to be a bad trade so I was willing to trade Rieder. In the end, I think I got a pretty good return. Adam Larsson fills the hole Vatanen left and fills it much better, IMO. Nielsen is more of a 2C than Brassard is, allowing me to push the latter down the lineup and shift Sheary to the wing. Losing Bowey isn't huge to me, I'm not big on prospects. Same with the 2 2nd-rounders... I'm just glad I don't have to give up a first.

In the end, I think

Teravainen + Bowey = Vatanen
80 > 106

Nielsen > Rieder
Larsson > Bowey + 2 2nds

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote