Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:
Default Xbox one - help. Not a vs ps4 thread

I was in Vegas for the launch party and decided to pick one up. A sellling point for me was being able to connect my laptop and flashdrive with ease... Not so much. Ive tried connecting my laptop via hdmi out from my laptop to the hdmi in to the 1. The Xbox is not acknowledging the laptop. I then tried my flashdrive into the usb, no luck there also.

Has anyone accomplished this yet and is there something I need to DL?

The rep also sold me on the fact the I could install windows on the system too but I have yet to find anywhere that I can even access the hard drive let alone install any software on it aside from the games I picked up.

Any help is certainly appreciated.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
The rep also sold me on the fact the I could install windows on the system too
I've never heard about that...sounds like this guy had bad information.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
I was in Vegas for the launch party and decided to pick one up. A sellling point for me was being able to connect my laptop and flashdrive with ease...

The rep also sold me on the fact the I could install windows on the system too....
You certainly can not install windows on it, and the only way it connects to your laptop is via the smartglass app.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Im discovering this and realizing the rep said what ever he had to to make a sale....
Old 11-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

My laptop is running windows 7, is there no way I can transfer movies from my hard drive to the one and watch them from it? ...
Old 11-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I suspect you want to connect your laptop to play videos or music from your laptop via the Xbox.

I found the best microsoft machine for doing that was the original Xbox, it would stream almost anything.

When the 360 came out I found it handled fewer files than the first Xbox, and that problem became worse after the big interface update in 2009 or so. Many popular codec versions would not work after that update.

Now with the Xbox One apparently it doesn't stream at all via DLNA or otherwise.

See a pattern?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Im now contacting Microsoft to see about a refund. Its been less than 7 days and the purpose for which I was sold on it is not possible... What a joke..
Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Im now contacting Microsoft to see about a refund. Its been less than 7 days and the purpose for which I was sold on it is not possible... What a joke..
you could probably sell it to someone for what you paid
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

also, they want you buy video content from their service, that is why these systems are getting so restrictive

Last edited by dino7c; 11-28-2013 at 08:35 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Save yourself some grief and sell it, you'll get full price. You won't have any luck telling telephone support you bought it because their rep told you it would run Windows.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where did you buy it?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yeah... the closest the bone will get will be if Microsoft is smart enough to open up app development. Porting Windows 8 apps to the bone is a process measured in hours.

Hooking up external drives is something that will be added in a post-launch patch.
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I was in Vegas for the launch party and decided to pick one up. A sellling point for me was being able to connect my laptop and flashdrive with ease... Not so much. Ive tried connecting my laptop via hdmi out from my laptop to the hdmi in to the 1. The Xbox is not acknowledging the laptop. I then tried my flashdrive into the usb, no luck there also.

Has anyone accomplished this yet and is there something I need to DL?

The rep also sold me on the fact the I could install windows on the system too but I have yet to find anywhere that I can even access the hard drive let alone install any software on it aside from the games I picked up.

Any help is certainly appreciated.
Maybe this will help. Sounds like if it's on the same network, and you have xbox video downloaded on the Xbone, you can right-click on your media file (on your computer) and select the Xbone to play it.

http://michaelmorley.name/how-to/str...x-one-via-dlna

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/x...5/4201951.aspx

As for installing Windows on it, that's pretty much BS. I think the OS for Xbone is based on Windows 8 so it's maybe that's what they are talking about. Anyways, hope the first link works for you

Anyways,
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Different issue:

The XBox1 has 1 HDMI input. So I left all of my sources plugged into my receiver and then output from the receiver to the XB to the TV.

It worked for video, but the receiver continued to send TV audio to the speakers, regardless of what the XB output.

So then I tried going the other way: cable -> XB -> receiver -> TV

and now I have nothing but black screens of disappointment.

Does anyone have the XB set up with a full compliment of stereo components? If so, how did you set it up?

Thanks
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure this will help but I have a Sony sound bar that has 3 HDMI inputs...labelled BD/DVD, game, and sat/tv. With my 360 it was set up as BD/DVD=PS3, game=360, and sat/tv=dish network.

What I have now is:

dish network output ---> Xbox one input

Xbox one output ---> game input

PS3 ---> BD/DVD input

(sat/tv input now empty)

sound bar output ----> TV input

This seems to be what you've done. No idea why it's not working for you.

Last edited by ernie; 11-29-2013 at 08:26 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a Yamaha receiver and it is setup like this:

Sat box >>> Xbox one In >>>>Xbox one out >>> Receiver in >>>Receiver Out >>>> Tv.

I used to have my sat on input 1 on the Yamaha. Now, the sat goes to input on the Xbox and the output on the xbox goes to input 1 on the Yamaha. Everything works perfectly.

Make sure you reset your xbox after dicking with the hdmi cables.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #17
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope that m$ gets the pull functionality working. That to me is one of the most fundamental principles of the "owning the living room" concept and an area where m$ has to make it work. Both Sony and m$ should be looking at what people loved about both of their consoles last gen and get that working now.

To me, the launch race is over and now the real race begins to get the consoles as functional as possible. The games will come, but get the console software patched.

Enoch root, I was wondering how many devices you were trying to run through the Xbox hdmi. did you try: TV (sat or cable) to Xbox hdmi in to receiver to TV? other devices just go to receiver? so the receiver is always the final one out to TV? that should give you Dolby as well as the receiver drives the speakers. Psicodude above did a much clearer solution that is the same.

For igitang, the app skafta might help you. Its free. I think that your TV will play the USB stick if it has the input and bypass the Xbox. or you could push from the pc instead of pulling from the Xbox.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by McG; 11-29-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: psicodude said it best!
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I have a Yamaha receiver and it is setup like this:

Sat box >>> Xbox one In >>>>Xbox one out >>> Receiver in >>>Receiver Out >>>> Tv.

I used to have my sat on input 1 on the Yamaha. Now, the sat goes to input on the Xbox and the output on the xbox goes to input 1 on the Yamaha. Everything works perfectly.

Make sure you reset your xbox after dicking with the hdmi cables.
This was my original setup and I'll try it again as it is what makes sense.

But how do I reset my XB?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #19
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
This was my original setup and I'll try it again as it is what makes sense.

But how do I reset my XB?
I just pulled the power plug.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Where did you buy it?
Got it in Vegas at the launch party. MS support was very understanding and said u could return it, np. Problem is, closest store is in Vancouver...

Talkin to the guy at EB, he says just keep it an be patient. Thinks in the long run xbone will be solid and the apps to come may provide me a solution to my issues..