Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #81
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

my favourite youtube workout tips vids are BuffDudes. You'd expect them to be super douchy, but they're pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/user/buffdudes
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #82
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
throwing this query in this thread as it seems related rather than creating a fresh one...

What are your thoughts on pre-workout supplements? Examples: Superpump, NOexplode, etc?
Depends what you use. Any 'NO' product is a waste of money IMO.

This is the best pre workout supplement out there IMO.

https://www.onnit.com/t-plus/
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #83
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Depends what you use. Any 'NO' product is a waste of money IMO.

This is the best pre workout supplement out there IMO.

https://www.onnit.com/t-plus/
Supplements are a waste of money in general. People focus way too much on supplements and not on actual food.... there's not a single supplement in the nutrition industry that will get you jacked other than being consistent with your diet and training... that's it.

SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #84
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

It is true that diet is the most important part by a long shot, but its impossible to get enough creatine from food sources to properly fuel your body. And that is one of the most effective supplements out there.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #85
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just wanted to say thanks to those that pointed out the rippedbody.jp website, and to those that are posting useful information in general. I just went above 200 lbs. again a couple of weeks ago (I have been up and down all of my adult life) and was looking for something sensible and practical to try.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #86
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think I said somewhere back here that supplements are about 2-5% of your total. That can be an expensive 5% if you get carried away. I generally will use a stack in the 45 or so days leading up to an event I am training for.

The greatest gain from supplements isn't anything that actually goes into your body, it is the mental or placebo effect. For me I take a stack, I throw some money at some company and it for some reason just makes me that much more amped up to hit the gym. I know it is really weird, but it works, so I keep doing it.

I notice a 20% increase in my lifts when I am taking a stack. That also probably coincides with the fact I am nearing my lift off date and getting more and more excited. If you research the proper suppies and stick to the Canadian regulations you will find a lot of good ones that won't hurt you, so if you have the extra cash why not.

But always make sure you have your diet first. I also laugh at the meal timing and frequency of that chart. That is a greater urban legend than suppies make you ripped.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #87
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I think I said somewhere back here that supplements are about 2-5% of your total. That can be an expensive 5% if you get carried away. I generally will use a stack in the 45 or so days leading up to an event I am training for.

The greatest gain from supplements isn't anything that actually goes into your body, it is the mental or placebo effect. For me I take a stack, I throw some money at some company and it for some reason just makes me that much more amped up to hit the gym. I know it is really weird, but it works, so I keep doing it.

I notice a 20% increase in my lifts when I am taking a stack. That also probably coincides with the fact I am nearing my lift off date and getting more and more excited. If you research the proper suppies and stick to the Canadian regulations you will find a lot of good ones that won't hurt you, so if you have the extra cash why not.

But always make sure you have your diet first. I also laugh at the meal timing and frequency of that chart. That is a greater urban legend than suppies make you ripped.
Try intermittent fasting... I swear by it. I was able to get rid of stubborn fat around my waist in 2 and half months, whereas I was not able to when eating 5-6 small meals a day.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #88
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOGUN View Post
Try intermittent fasting... I swear by it. I was able to get rid of stubborn fat around my waist in 2 and half months, whereas I was not able to when eating 5-6 small meals a day.
I've been reading up on this and am considering giving it a go. What method of intermittent fasting did you primarily use? The 6 hour eating window?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #89
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

intermittent fasting? Can anyone provide some good links/details on the subject?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #90
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Strictly my own theory but I find that when people try something new they are more likely to stick with it, especially at the start. For instance, you are sick of eating 6 smaller meals a day, you are grabbing a handful of nuts in between snacks, maybe a sugary beverage cause whatevs it isn't a meal or anything. Then you switch to this intermittent fasting and you follow it strictly by the book, see results and assume all other methods are inferior.

On the other side of this I have followed a meal plan that does not involve intermittent fasting by the book on and off for years and not so shockingly the stricter I follow it the better my results..

With this in mind we circle back to the fact that no two people are the same and my body will react differently to a diet than your body will. This happens between my fiance and I, me being a snacker and needing to eat often and her hating it because it makes her feel bloated/full all day so instead she does 3 meals. Two different methods, but we both see our individual results WHEN WE STICK TO THE PLAN.

Just my thoughts on it.. but if you like the idea of starting something new to you and exciting then you should do it, whatever you need to get the results you are after. It isn't going to hurt that is for sure. I am for trying new stuff to keep things fresh, otherwise you fall off the wagon.

Edit: I just read this post and it is coming off as preachy maybe even condescending, totally not what I am after here. The end of the day point I am trying to make is that there is no magic system and there are a lot of arguments for which one is better, but the truth of it is not every plan works the same for two people. So don't be afraid to try it all and keep an open mind but don't be fooled!

Last edited by GreenLantern; 08-22-2014 at 12:11 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #91
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I've been reading up on this and am considering giving it a go. What method of intermittent fasting did you primarily use? The 6 hour eating window?
I use a 6 hour window because I want my meals to be big and satisfying. I also train fasted... I have more energy working out without eating food before hand than eating a preworkout meal.. weird. Most people like 8 hours, but imo, the more time fat has to oxidize, the better.

Last edited by SHOGUN; 08-22-2014 at 01:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SHOGUN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #92
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
intermittent fasting? Can anyone provide some good links/details on the subject?
http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
Old 08-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #93
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Strictly my own theory but I find that when people try something new they are more likely to stick with it, especially at the start. For instance, you are sick of eating 6 smaller meals a day, you are grabbing a handful of nuts in between snacks, maybe a sugary beverage cause whatevs it isn't a meal or anything. Then you switch to this intermittent fasting and you follow it strictly by the book, see results and assume all other methods are inferior.

On the other side of this I have followed a meal plan that does not involve intermittent fasting by the book on and off for years and not so shockingly the stricter I follow it the better my results..

With this in mind we circle back to the fact that no two people are the same and my body will react differently to a diet than your body will. This happens between my fiance and I, me being a snacker and needing to eat often and her hating it because it makes her feel bloated/full all day so instead she does 3 meals. Two different methods, but we both see our individual results WHEN WE STICK TO THE PLAN.

Just my thoughts on it.. but if you like the idea of starting something new to you and exciting then you should do it, whatever you need to get the results you are after. It isn't going to hurt that is for sure. I am for trying new stuff to keep things fresh, otherwise you fall off the wagon.

Edit: I just read this post and it is coming off as preachy maybe even condescending, totally not what I am after here. The end of the day point I am trying to make is that there is no magic system and there are a lot of arguments for which one is better, but the truth of it is not every plan works the same for two people. So don't be afraid to try it all and keep an open mind but don't be fooled!
At the end of the day, if you're consistent with your diet and training regardless of being on intermittent fasting or eating 4-6 small meals a day... you'll get shredded. Just from my personal experience.. I feel better, train harder, look better, and don't feel hungry as often on IF.

Last edited by SHOGUN; 08-22-2014 at 01:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SHOGUN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #94
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I use a 6 hour window because I want my meals to be big and satisfying. I also train fasted... I have more energy working out without eating food before hand than eating a preworkout meal.. weird. Most people like 8 hours, but imo, the more time fat has to oxidize, the better.
Are you talking losing fat or gaining muscle? Cause while working out and especially right after, your body is starving for nutrients.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #95
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013...ttent-fasting/

Also, 8 hour diet by David Zinczenko is a good read.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #96
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Are you talking losing fat or gaining muscle? Cause while working out and especially right after, your body is starving for nutrients.
IF is primarily for cutting fat and keeping lean. I consume most of my calories/carbs of the day post workout. I don't eat anything before training.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #97
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
IF is primarily for cutting fat and keeping lean. I consume most of my calories/carbs of the day post workout. I don't eat anything before training.
Makes sense. I would do it the same way if I was trying to cut fat and keep lean.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #98
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

nm didn't see the link
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #99
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, IF wouldnt do much good for people looking to bulk up and put on muscle mass.

I also think it is best suited for people that work out in the morning, as the meal window is ideally meant to begin after your workout. The problem I had in my short lived attempt with IF is I work out in the evenings. I was also dying of hunger by noon when I had my window set to begin- apparently you get used to it, particularly if you are getting adequate calories in during your window. I think it is also a bit problematic for married people or those with families as they will undoubtedly be on a standard meal schedule.

Anyway, getting into the single digit body fat % has been simple for me through pretty basic principles such as throwing in the majority of my carbs before and after workout. Cut back on carbs considerably on non gym days. I am also a little more careful with cheat days, having them once every 2 weeks instead of every week.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 08-22-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #100
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
http://nsca.com/education/articles/p...-your-clients/
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote