Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #501
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So sorry to hear it, Yamer. It's tough and depressing to lose a pet, but from what I can tell from you on here, your cat was really, really lucky to have someone like you. You obviously cared and took really good care of him!
It may not seem like it now, but eventually you get to a point where you remember the good and it crowds out the sad.
Keep your chin up, buddy - you did good and you did right.
Tailgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #502
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am sorry for your loss Yamer, this is a tough time for you but you did your best, that's all your friend would have asked for...
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #503
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Break out the kleenex

A sad but beautiful story.

A photographer captures the last day of a beloved family pet.

The story:

Story of dog's last day go viral

Quote:
On Duke’s last day on earth, the beloved dog had a breakfast of hamburgers, a walk in the park and farewell cuddles from his family and friends.

A Texas photographer’s images of the family pet on the day he had to be euthanized have pulled on the heart-strings of animal-lovers’ on social media.
The pictures

Last edited by longsuffering; 07-18-2014 at 10:04 PM.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:52 PM   #504
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tailgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:25 AM   #505
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

After battling kidney failure and multiple UTI's the last few months, I said goodbye to my 16 year old black cat Maggie tonight, after yet another bout flared up around 11pm this evening (her kidneys had almost completely shut down by this point as well). She stopped eating almost a week ago, and was a shell of her former self the last few days. She had basically been gone for over a week now.

It's my first time going through this as the principal pet owner, and for me, I think the hardest part tonight wasn't when I felt her go in my arms as they injected the needles, but rather it was afterwards, with me setting her on the table, seeing her little ears sticking out of the towel we had her wrapped up in, and then walking out the door and just leaving her there. Just felt so wrong (but I know it wasn't).

She was such a patient, good natured, gentle little soul. You could give her pills no problem, she wouldn't even fuss, just took em like a champ. Even if I missed getting it right down the hatch and it ended up on the front of her tongue, she'd shoot it back and swallow it herself. Never seen a cat do that before. She was a good girl, I will miss her very much. Goodbye Maggie, you're not in pain anymore.

Last edited by Sainters7; 08-20-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #506
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It is the moment when you make this decision that you know that this little life was everything to you. It is the best and kindest choice to make when an animal is suffering. I am so very sorry for your loss but know, and know it true and deep, that you made the best decision of all. Rest In Peace, Maggie - you were loved.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #507
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how hard that was. She will always be part of your family - you will have lots of memories of her and how much she was loved.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #508
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Sorry for your loss always hate seeing this thread bumped, but it is awesome you stayed by her side until the end. You will always be happy you did.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #509
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Its sad, we put our dog down in April and I'm still not over it. Hardest thing I have done up to date. Sorry for your loss
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #510
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys, it's appreciated. We knew she had been on "death row" for over a week now, and I had perused through this thread a few times in the days leading up to it - for comfort and just general advice by those who had gone through it - and in that time I didn't think I'd end up writing a farewell post about her in here. But once the time finally came, there's just something cathartic about sharing it with others who understand. This morning was a kick in the balls, as last night I was under the influence of a sleeping pill when she hit the end (to the point where my girlfriend had to drive us to the vet), so I was a little desensitized throughout the process. But this morning it hit me hard.

Actually that was one thing that was funny about when she went last night, that helped give us a chuckle through the pain, it was such a Maggie way to go. She always had the absolute worst timing, she was famous for it in our household. e.g. we liked letting her in the back yard in the morning for a few minutes before we left for work. Only she'd usually show no interest in wanting to go out there until we were just going out the door when it was too late, then she'd start meowing to want to go out at the back door. She also loved laying on her back and getting chest rubs for like a half hour straight (the ultimate sign of a "B-type" personality cat). You could be watching a movie for 2hrs, perfect chest rub time, but she wouldn't come over for one until the end credits were rolling and you were about to get up. So her body finally giving out and telling us she was at the end at 11pm on a work night, when my girlfriend's sound asleep, and I'm 10 min from it as well and having my sleeping pill just starting to kick in hard, was just such a Maggie way to go. Terrible timing, right to the very end. We shared a laugh on the drive home through tears about that.

I'll close by just saying I'm really glad this thread exists. Not only for comfort, but I received a lot of valuable advice that helped while reading through it. This thread is the reason why I chose to hold her in my arms when she went, and the reason I ordered a paw print from the vet, I didn't even know this existed before. CP really is a big family.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #511
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I think the hardest part tonight wasn't when I felt her go in my arms as they injected the needles, but rather it was afterwards, with me setting her on the table, seeing her little ears sticking out of the towel we had her wrapped up in, and then walking out the door and just leaving her there. Just felt so wrong (but I know it wasn't).
I had the exact same feelings when I lost my dog to cancer almost a year ago. I think with the complete range of intense emotions you go through when your pet is nearing the end, it's just tough to process anything rational/logical and nothing really makes sense.

Thankfully it does eventually get easier, but it's such a powerful bond and it will take you a while to get used to your place without her. There will be "her" places where you'll absent mindedly check for a long time and it'll probably be another kick in the balls every time... hell a year later and I still get choked up about my dog from time to time.

CP really is full of a lot of animal loving sucks that have gone through similar experiences... I hate this thread getting bumped but it's therapeutic for sure.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #512
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so sorry. These get me every time.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #513
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sorry for your loss.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #514
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Thankfully it does eventually get easier, but it's such a powerful bond and it will take you a while to get used to your place without her. There will be "her" places where you'll absent mindedly check for a long time and it'll probably be another kick in the balls every time... hell a year later and I still get choked up about my dog from time to time.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. And Old Yeller, ya I'm going through this right now. I keep leaving the bedroom door open a crack at night so she can get in without even thinking about it. It's funny, as I thought seeing her little cat post and collar in the main room where she spent her day looking out the window would set me off, but it surprisingly didn't. Instead, it's when I went to the basement last night to do laundry and seeing her still dirty litter box of all things (I haven't cleaned it since the day before she went) that set me off. Just keep expecting to see her when I get home, I keep forgetting she's gone.

So glad I didn't go to work yesterday, I was a mess all day. I'm handling this so much worse than I thought I would, considering how much time I had to prepare for this, and how old and sick she was. I hate being this emotionally open right now, generally I'm such an emotionally unavailable, sarcastic person, before this I honestly don't think I've cried in over a decade 1. I feel like Jerry Seinfeld when his gf teaches him to show his feelings; "What is this salty discharge??" Hopefully it gets better soon, can't even handle being alone right now.

I have a week off next week, was originally planning on a nice staycation, but I actually think I'm gonna take off to B.C. and visit my folks or something. Just need to get away from our place for awhile, memories everywhere. Big respect to those of you who had to go through this process alone, I couldn't do it.

Last edited by Sainters7; 08-21-2014 at 05:21 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #515
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looks like my wife and I are going to go through this today. Our dog has taken a very hard turn for the worse. Max has had a good life but is approaching 14 and can't even get up to go outside anymore. One day he's walking and fine and then next day I watched him try to get up, fall over and now he can't even get up at all. We knew it was coming, sooner, rather than later, but it's still extremely hard.

Our cat, who usually is quite noisy and causes hell, knows something is up. He has been very quiet and just laying quietly, not bothering Max at all, like he usually would.

This is going to be a really, really crappy day...
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #516
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Looks like my wife and I are going to go through this today. Our dog has taken a very hard turn for the worse. Max has had a good life but is approaching 14 and can't even get up to go outside anymore. One day he's walking and fine and then next day I watched him try to get up, fall over and now he can't even get up at all. We knew it was coming, sooner, rather than later, but it's still extremely hard.

Our cat, who usually is quite noisy and causes hell, knows something is up. He has been very quiet and just laying quietly, not bothering Max at all, like he usually would.

This is going to be a really, really crappy day...
I'm so sorry Igster.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #517
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Man this thread is a really hard read. I had to close the door to my office while reading the pain.

My cat Pounce turned 20 on April 15th. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't get her and her brother Shadow as 5 week old kittens from the SPCA all those years ago. I had to put Shadow down just before his 14th birthday due to kidney failure. I still miss my big buddy.

Pounce is doing great. She is almost deaf, but still plays, jumps up on counters and eats very well but has lost most of her muscle mass. I just can't imagine what "that day" is going to be like. I know I have been lucky and blessed to have such a loyal friend for so many years. She has been with me for so long and through so much it's hard to remember my life without her.

Just want to give my condolences to everyone who has shared the loss of their pet in this thread. Simply put this was a heartbreaking read.

I'm sorry today is the day Igster, I will be thinking about you and Max all day.

I'm seriously contemplating taking the rest of the day off just to go home and see my cat.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #518
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We lost our Boxer 16 months ago and our house is still filled with reminders of him. My wife has kept the chair that he'd claimed as a bed in our bedroom since and still won't let me clean it or throw it away (it's not suitable for human use any longer haha). This might be too personal but we'd both mash the cushions from time to time to get a whiff of his smell. I wish I could make that sound less creepy. I found one of his chewed up golf balls under the deck the other day and couldn't help but laugh, he was never much of a fetcher, but he did love stealing my golf balls, had a taste for Pro V1's too I think because they were softer...

It's amazing the bond we have with our pets and it's a bloody shame they can't stay with us forever, cherish those memories though.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheGrimm For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #519
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've felt guilt for the last 17 and a half years that I didn't stay in the room with my dog when we had her put down. I stayed this time with my cat a few months ago and I am very glad that I did. I should have been the last person my dog saw. I was that for my cat this time. Hurt like hell, but I definitely feel better about it.

Condolences to all in this thread.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #520
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I've felt guilt for the last 17 and a half years that I didn't stay in the room with my dog when we had her put down. I stayed this time with my cat a few months ago and I am very glad that I did. I should have been the last person my dog saw. I was that for my cat this time. Hurt like hell, but I definitely feel better about it.

Condolences to all in this thread.
Sorry you feel like that - you should let yourself off the hook one day though - everyone makes mistakes and I'm sure your dog would forgive you.

I made my wife say bye to her cat and she was grateful she listened to me, originally she was too upset. As hard as it is - a good idea in the long run.

Anyway - sorry to the more recent posters. Also hate seeing this thread bumped but I always look. Makes me think of lost friends from the past.

Sorry you all couldn't be here longer.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ranchlandsselling For This Useful Post: