Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #5841
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bownesian View Post
I'm not sure why I'm bothering here, but companies looking at laying off significant numbers of employees aren't making profits and so aren't paying business taxes.
You make a lot of good points in your response but this part is a little misleading. Companies don't only lay people off because they aren't making profits so when they are doing it to reduce labour costs to keep their margins up they are obviously still paying taxes.

Quote:
Your proposal would reward companies who can afford corporate taxes (those growing or maintaining their staff) while paradoxically in a relative sense punishing those who can't (the small cohort who are cutting staff but manage to maintain marginal profitability and so would be paying tax).
This was a factor I was considering when I wrote the post, I still think it could work to some extent within smaller businesses. Your point is a very valid one though, it is in the same line of reasoning for why I don't think across the board business tax cuts will help struggling businesses, like you said if they aren't making profits then they aren't paying taxes so it would only help businesses that have managed to stay out of the red.

Quote:
Saving a job when it's not needed is a waste of life for the employee (the purgatory of going to work with nothing to do), is bad for the company (morale, waste and inefficiency that comes from being overstaffed), and is thus a waste of tax money.
I would suggest you go ask one of the 100k people currently unemployed which situation they consider a waste of life: going into work and getting paid even if it's slow but waiting for things to pick up, or sitting at home collecting ei? I will agree it would have negatives for the employer financially, but to make it appear that the employees would be worse off because of it really was surprising to read given how reasonable your other points had been. Morale would go down? How good is morale when people are going into work every day expecting a pink slip? I don't see how company showing its employees that it cares enough about them to do whatever it takes to keep them employed would ever have a negative effect on morale.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #5842
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I would suggest you go ask one of the 100k people currently unemployed which situation they consider a waste of life: going into work and getting paid even if it's slow but waiting for things to pick up, or sitting at home collecting ei? I will agree it would have negatives for the employer financially, but to make it appear that the employees would be worse off because of it really was surprising to read given how reasonable your other points had been. Morale would go down? How good is morale when people are going into work every day expecting a pink slip? I don't see how company showing its employees that it cares enough about them to do whatever it takes to keep them employed would ever have a negative effect on morale.
100k? Try closer to 400k. Unemployment is at 9%, up 2.1 from last year.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #5843
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
I was using the Calgary number, not sure what you hope to prove by nitpicking at the number, it could be 1 million, how does it make any difference to the point I was making?
Old 12-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #5844
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Facts matter.
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #5845
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Facts matter.
Are you living in the same Province as I am? Because if you are then you know that your statement is patently false.

^

I used both emojis because I'm not sure if that was a funny little dig at the idiotic NDP or the sad realization of our current reality.

And now I'm having an Existential Crisis.

Thanks Notley!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #5846
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Facts matter.
Yes they do, unless I suppose if it's a case of someone wanting to make an informed assessment on the full extent of impact the carbon tax would have on a local business right?
Old 12-23-2016, 12:39 PM   #5847
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

This has got to be the best troll job of 2016.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #5848
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
This has got to be the best troll job of 2016.
Whats that? The NDP election?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #5849
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yes they do, unless I suppose if it's a case of someone wanting to make an informed assessment on the full extent of impact the carbon tax would have on a local business right?
Unable to defend your position? Better change the subject!
Old 12-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #5850
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
I was using the Calgary number, not sure what you hope to prove by nitpicking at the number, it could be 1 million, how does it make any difference to the point I was making?
Lol, your post was ambiguous. How would I know you meant Calgary?

In any case, it matters because the 400k unemployed workers in this province is the actual number. It's more of a macroeconomic issue.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #5851
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Turns out there is an actual count of unemployed in Alberta -- Approx. 228,800 This is an increase of 52,200 over the past year.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...fss01c-eng.htm

oddly enough, Alberta still has the highest employment rate in western Canada 66.7%

( because the actual numbers matter...)

Update:
https://work.alberta.ca/documents/la...ic-package.pdf

9.9% unemployment in Calgary
6.4 unemployment in Edmonton
6.1% unemployment in Medicine hat - lthbridge

Last edited by para transit fellow; 12-23-2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: additionl URL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2016, 01:27 PM   #5852
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Does that number include Contractors who aren't receiving benefits and people that have actually come to the end of their benefits?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 12-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #5853
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
Unable to defend your position? Better change the subject!
I did defend it in the response he was responding to. I wasn't debating the number of unemployed, the number was completely irrelevant given the context it was being used in. It was a minor detail that could have been replaced with any number or even just "if you asked an unemployed person". Facts matter, but that doesn't mean they are always relevant to every conversation.

Quote:
Lol, your post was ambiguous. How would I know you meant Calgary?

In any case, it matters because the 400k unemployed workers in this province is the actual number. It's more of a macroeconomic issue.
Now that it's clarified. Do you have any comment on the part of the post that it created the confusion for you on?

Last edited by iggy_oi; 12-23-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #5854
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
It was a minor detail that could have been replaced with any number or even just "if you asked an unemployed person". Facts matter, but that doesn't mean they are always relevant to every conversation.

I feel like I've told someone this before...
Old 12-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #5855
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
Turns out there is an actual count of unemployed in Alberta -- Approx. 228,800 This is an increase of 52,200 over the past year.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...fss01c-eng.htm

oddly enough, Alberta still has the highest employment rate in western Canada 66.7%

( because the actual numbers matter...)

Update:
https://work.alberta.ca/documents/la...ic-package.pdf

9.9% unemployment in Calgary
6.4 unemployment in Edmonton
6.1% unemployment in Medicine hat - lthbridge
I'd suspect we still have the highest employment rate because are demos skew young. So less old retired people
Old 12-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #5856
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I'd suspect we still have the highest employment rate because are demos skew young. So less old retired people
It is more simple than that. The rest of Alberta is not as dependant on oil patch as we are here in Calgary. Other places are more diversified.

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...onomic-stories
Old 12-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #5857
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Just curious, are there any new gas plants planed? I've heard about some of the conversions from coal. Is anything of the scale of Shepard in the works? We need about 7 Shepard's to replace our loss in coal. I'm not sure how many are going to be converted.
This is just what I've heard, however I believe the idea is to use existing coal based equipment (turbines, boilers, generators) and retrofit these plants to operate on natural gas instead. I'm not overly knowledgeable of the process, but it would make sense that most of this equipment could still function with a different fuel source.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #5858
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coal plants still Use steam to turn the turbine...
They are just changing the source of heat.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #5859
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This seems counter-intuitive

http://theamericanenergynews.com/mar...imate-policies
Old 12-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #5860
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

I don’t like paying taxes. Nobody does.

We like it even less when the economy is rocky and our jobs and incomes are uncertain.

So, no, you’re not going to be happy to wake up Jan. 1 and see the price of gasoline at the pump has jumped by 4.49 cents thanks to Alberta’s new carbon levy.

But then, no one is happy when the price of gas jumps — and it’s been volatile for months. Even with pump prices back to $1 a litre, they’re still well below what we paid in 2013 and 2014.

You won’t jump for joy when you see your next natural gas bill, either.

But then, natural gas prices in Alberta for 2016 are the lowest they’d been since 2012 — and incredibly low, historically.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...851/story.html