Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #1181
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
Not going thru a 1000 posts , Smith is a overrated goalie so I am very happy to see we landed Hamonic and re-signed Stone because Smith needs good defensive dmen in front of him. So reading justification and rah rah Arizona sucked wont cut it for me. Bad move.
I'm not especially high on this move, but you're ignoring that for us Smith has a cap hit of 4.250M x 2Y which lines up with promoting a Rittich, Parsons, or Gillies to the big leagues naturally. Smith wasn't brought in as anything more than a cost-effective stop gap who can give you 60+ games a year.

Bringing in most of the better goalies - Raanta, Mason, Bishop wasn't an option because of this. They either got more term or more AAV.

I might have preferred Halak for the same, but who knows if they would have accepted what we paid (Brandon Hickey rights)

That left Elliott VS Smith. A case to be made for either but at the end of the day Tre probably felt more comfortable with a guy who has done the 60+ game grind to eventually split the job with one of our prospects in a year.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-08-2017 at 03:28 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #1182
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Not going thru a 1000 posts , Smith is a overrated goalie so I am very happy to see we landed Hamonic and re-signed Stone because Smith needs good defensive dmen in front of him. So reading justification and rah rah Arizona sucked wont cut it for me. Bad move.
I suggest reading through the thread because it seems to me that you have formed an opinion from a set of preconceptions about the player. I did not like the trade when it happened, but after reading and hearing things from people who know a lot more about Mike Smith than I do helped me to feel much better about it.

I think that if you are able to evaluate the merits of the trade more rationally, as opposed to simply reacting, you will probably come to see it is not such a bad move for this team at this point in their trajectory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 03:48 PM   #1183
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
So are you denying or ignoring that defensively Arizona was horrifyingly bad and allowed a ton of shots, but a ton of shots from danger areas.

I doubt that Corey Price would have been successful behind that gong show.

All we need from Smith is consistent at least average league goaltending and this team will see big improvement over the Flames with Elliot and Johnson in net.

We can't forget that Smith might be more complimentary to a Flames really mobile defense because of his puck handling skills.

With Arizona paying his salary, with a low price since Hickey wasn't going to sign here, and with low term. This could turn into a home run move for Treliving if as I mentioned above, we get league average goal tending every night.

I don't think that anyone can deny that Elliot and Ocho probably cost this team 5 or 8 wins last year, especially with how horrendous they were at the start.

Even 5 more wins for this team takes them into second in the Pacific.

So I think its a good gamble.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #1184
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
So are you denying or ignoring that defensively Arizona was horrifyingly bad and allowed a ton of shots, but a ton of shots from danger areas.

All we need from Smith is consistent at least average league goaltending and this team will see big improvement over the Flames with Elliot and Johnson in net.

We can't forget that Smith might be more complimentary to a Flames really mobile defense because of his puck handling skills.

With Arizona paying his salary, with a low price since Hickey wasn't going to sign here, and with low term. This could turn into a home run move for Treliving if as I mentioned above, we get league average goal tending every night.

I don't think that anyone can deny that Elliot and Ocho probably cost this team 5 or 8 wins last year, especially with how horrendous they were at the start.

Definitely not Corey Price, possibly not even Carey Price
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #1185
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I'm not especially high on this move, but you're ignoring that for us Smith has a cap hit of 4.250M x 2Y which lines up with promoting a Rittich, Parsons, or Gillies to the big leagues naturally. Smith wasn't brought in as anything more than a cost-effective stop gap who can give you 60+ games a year.

Bringing in most of the better goalies - Raanta, Mason, Bishop wasn't an option because of this. They either got more term or more AAV.

I might have preferred Halak for the same, but who knows if they would have accepted what we paid (Brandon Hickey rights)

That left Elliott VS Smith. A case to be made for either but at the end of the day Tre probably felt more comfortable with a guy who has done the 60+ game grind to eventually split the job with one of our prospects in a year.
They keys here are that Smith (unlike Elliott or Raanta) has proven to be a passable starter, that the salary fits within the team's cap structure, that the cost did not include any roster players or blue-chip prospects, and that the contract is for two years (which fits the anticipated development curves of our up-and-coming netminders). Smith's puck-handling skills are a little bonus that should benefit our highly-mobile defence, our transition game, our special teams and especially our already dominant overtime game. For two years, Smith should be an acceptable puck stopper, and should make those around him better due to his puck-handling skills. I'm not expecting him to be elite, but I also don't think that he has to be.

Quote:
This could turn into a home run move for Treliving if as I mentioned above, we get league average goal tending every night.

I would call it a more of a safe move than a gamble (trading for Raanta or Grubauer would have been a gamble, since they have not shown that they can carry the mail on a nightly basis), but I don't think there is much chance that the move could end up being a home run. On the other hand, after the last two years, league average would be OK with me.

Last edited by Macindoc; 07-08-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #1186
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #1187
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...56806&page=396

Old 07-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #1188
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

35 year old goalie with a .913 career Sp 2.70 gaa career and a losing record is a waste of time . And people are day dreaming if they think he has any upside to his game. Fans will want to run him out of town by December mark this post.
Flamenfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #1189
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
35 year old goalie with a .913 career Sp 2.70 gaa career and a losing record is a waste of time . And people are day dreaming if they think he has any upside to his game. Fans will want to run him out of town by December mark this post.
Lol your so delusional. Your posts are so ridiculous i would consider deactivating your account. Totally laughable your not even funny
RoughRiderRowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoughRiderRowdy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #1190
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He was good enough to be named to the 2014 team canada olympic team yet hes horrible
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RoughRiderRowdy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #1191
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderRowdy View Post
Lol your so delusional. Your posts are so ridiculous i would consider deactivating your account. Totally laughable your not even funny
Hey, what are your thoughts on Dougie Hamilton?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #1192
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Since you don't want to read the thread, here are some highlights:

@DarrenWHaynes
Many say ES SV% is a better indicator of a goalie's ability. Of 52 goalies with >40 starts the last 2 seasons, Mike Smith ranks 11th (.927).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Mike Smith faced on average:

34.38 shots against per game last season
15.10 were low danger (Saved 98.01% vs. League Avg of 97.91%)
10.83 were medium danger (Saved 92.61% vs. League Avg of 92.50%)
8.45 were high danger (Saved 83.73% vs. League Avg of 81.17%)

Brian Elliott faced on average:

27.81 shots against per game last season
13.01 were low danger (Saved 97.82% vs. League Avg of 97.91%)
8.28 were medium danger (Saved 93.84% vs. League Avg of 92.50%)
6.52 were high danger (Saved 79.13% vs. League Avg of 81.17%)

Now that's finalized, I expanded on the above numbers.

Smith was above league average in all three categories, while facing more shots per game than any other goalie
Smith was better than Elliott in high danger and low danger save %
Elliott was below league average in high danger and low danger save%
@Fan960Steinberg
Interesting Smith splits:
Career vs. Edm: 15-3-1, 0.924 SV%
Career vs. SJ: 12-8-3, 0.942 SV%
Career vs. LA: 15-8-1, 0.931 SV%
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #1193
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Jeez sunshine I would actually take that 913 svpct behind this years defense compared to Elliot and Johnson's .910. Any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Again, go back and look at the train wreck that was Arizona last year Smith was .914 while seeing about 34 shots against per game and the Coyotes were pathetic in terms from shots from the danger zone. All things being equal his job should be a lot easier. I mean christ Elliot saw an average of 27 shots against per game and I'm sure his shots from the danger zone were a lot lower then Smiths.

BTW if I did the math right, if you had replaced Elliots games and Svpct and shots and gaa with Smith's svpct it works out to 1 2.36 gapg as opposed to Elliots 2.55.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 06:23 PM   #1194
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Clearly you have no interest in attempting an honest review of your own opinion and entertaining the possibility that you could be wrong about Mike Smith.

I think chances are higher that by December you might be pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 06:36 PM   #1195
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Forget everything else, I'm just wondering how someone takes a vacation in 2017 without hearing or reading a single thing about their favorite hockey team? No phone or internet for two straight months? I ain't even mad, I'm impressed.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #1196
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Forget everything else, I'm just wondering how someone takes a vacation in 2017 without hearing or reading a single thing about their favorite hockey team? No phone or internet for two straight months? I ain't even mad, I'm impressed.
Vacation is code for prison.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 06:53 PM   #1197
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Hey, what are your thoughts on Dougie Hamilton?
I ate crow already. Im not sure what you want out of me? Your avatars embarrassing
Old 07-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #1198
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
I ate crow already. Im not sure what you want out of me? Your avatars embarrassing
Um, excuse me, my avatar is amazing.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #1199
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

You are a Riders fan. There is nothing more embarrassing than that.

Quote:
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #1200
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was good enough to be named to the 2014 team canada olympic team yet hes horrible
That was 3 years ago and he was the third stringer on a team who many expected goaltending to be the weakness (pre Carey Price becoming the best goalie in the world). Not the best argument.
codynw is online now   Reply With Quote