Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2016, 03:48 PM   #61
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

31 points in 29 games. Good for him.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #62
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

He reminds me of Krys Kolanos. Big time AHL producer who just couldnt take that next step.

Nothing wrong with it, it happens.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #63
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksWorstNightmare View Post
Well Kenny Agostino is officially leading the entire AHL in points wow!!!!Hope letting him go doesn't end up biting us in the ass.Maybe we really did do ok in the Iginla trade hahaha
Hire Feaster for Stockton GM?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #64
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
He reminds me of Krys Kolanos. Big time AHL producer who just couldnt take that next step.

Nothing wrong with it, it happens.
I think it's a little premature to say he can't take the next step.

I realize people are washing out prospects earlier and earlier but I think this kid will still make it.

It was the one guy I was a little baffled by when Treliving went all scorched earth on our prospects last summer, but think of it this way- if Agostino is getting those top line minutes in Stockton that means Mangiapane isn't. At some point you have to make room for guys entering the pros unless you want to burn them out with scratches and ECHL assignments and a lack of opportunity.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:41 AM   #65
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agostino dominated the preseason too. So maybe he's getting closer to breaking through.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:53 AM   #66
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys like Agostino are perfect for teams like STL that don't have the deepest prospect pools from making deadline acquisitions and finishing near the top of the standings for years. You pick a guy up for free with some upside.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:33 AM   #67
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Agostino dominated the preseason too. So maybe he's getting closer to breaking through.
If by entire preseason you mean one game exhibition game early on, then yes, dominated.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #68
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Adam Cracknell 2.0

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:07 AM   #69
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

What was the name of that mostly minor league player that we either acquired or signed after he was in the Nucks farm system 6 or 7 years ago?

He put up great numbers in the AHL, but could never translate that to anything more than the odd cup of coffee in the NHL. Pretty sure his name started with a J. I'm going to look it up, but I've decided that Kenny is the new that guy.

Jason Jaffray - yah, he's the new Jaffray.

Last edited by Cleveland Steam Whistle; 12-23-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #70
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
What was the name of that mostly minor league player that we either acquired or signed after he was in the Nucks farm system 6 or 7 years ago?

He put up great numbers in the AHL, but could never translate that to anything more than the odd cup of coffee in the NHL. Pretty sure his name started with a J. I'm going to look it up, but I've decided that Kenny is the new that guy.
Jason Jaffray.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #71
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He's still pretty young. If Las Vegas or a bottom feeder picks him up, he's got a great chance at making it as a bottom 6er
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #72
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
He's still pretty young. If Las Vegas or a bottom feeder picks him up, he's got a great chance at making it as a bottom 6er
Says every middling prospect in the 23-26 age range.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #73
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Says every middling prospect in the 23-26 age range.
Come on, he's a little more than middling if he's leading the league in scoring. No doubt though his time is running out.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #74
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Come on, he's a little more than middling if he's leading the league in scoring. No doubt though his time is running out.
2 NHL points, both of which came in 2013.

He's an AHL hero. Nothing wrong with that - those guys can carve out a nice living making $300k at the minor league level while occasionally earning a cup of coffee with the big club.

Agostino is never going to be an offensive threat in the NHL. He's a Ben Street level player. Street, BTW, is still in the AHL putting up near PPG numbers at age 29. His NHL point total? 2 assists in 29 NHL games. He's never even scored a goal, the poor bastard.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #75
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Go back and look at the AHL scoring leaders and then see how many made the NHL.
There are a bevy of players too good for the AHL and not good enough for the NHL.
Not saying this is what he is, but leading the league in scoring doesn't mean a player is a great prospect.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #76
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
I think it's a little premature to say he can't take the next step.

I realize people are washing out prospects earlier and earlier but I think this kid will still make it.

It was the one guy I was a little baffled by when Treliving went all scorched earth on our prospects last summer, but think of it this way- if Agostino is getting those top line minutes in Stockton that means Mangiapane isn't. At some point you have to make room for guys entering the pros unless you want to burn them out with scratches and ECHL assignments and a lack of opportunity.
I agree with this completely. People look at his age and forget this is just his 3rd pro season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post

Jason Jaffray - yah, he's the new Jaffray.
I'm not sure this is fair. Jaffray was already 26 and in his 6th professional season when he made his NHL debut and in his 8th pro season when he joined the Flames. Agostino is also more feisty and better without the puck than Jaffray. I'd suggest he could very easily be more like Paul Byron, Adam Cracknell or Derek Grant
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #77
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Go back and look at the AHL scoring leaders and then see how many made the NHL.
There are a bevy of players too good for the AHL and not good enough for the NHL.
Not saying this is what he is, but leading the league in scoring doesn't mean a player is a great prospect.
No it doesn't mean he's a great prospect but it also means it's a little quick to write him off. He's 24 not 28 so I would say leading the league in scoring at this point shows progression.

But as I said his time is running out.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:43 PM   #78
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
2 NHL points, both of which came in 2013.

He's an AHL hero. Nothing wrong with that - those guys can carve out a nice living making $300k at the minor league level while occasionally earning a cup of coffee with the big club.

Agostino is never going to be an offensive threat in the NHL. He's a Ben Street level player. Street, BTW, is still in the AHL putting up near PPG numbers at age 29. His NHL point total? 2 assists in 29 NHL games. He's never even scored a goal, the poor bastard.
It's obviously not the goal for hockey players who are good enough, but imagine making 300k a year to play hockey??!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2016, 10:49 PM   #79
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think $300K is high

From 2015
http://www.providencejournal.com/art...NEWS/150229777

"Even though they are paid only during the six-month regular season, American Hockey League players earn a minimum of $42,375 per year. The average annual salary in the AHL, the equivalent of baseball's Triple-A classification, is more than $90,000. Players' per diem at that level is $65.Feb 21, 2015"

Edit: I do see Ben Street makes $275K

Last edited by Yoho; 12-24-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:12 AM   #80
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
It's obviously not the goal for hockey players who are good enough, but imagine making 300k a year to play hockey??!
Oh no doubt - I'd sure take that over selling cars. I'm simply saying there's nothing about the loss of Kenny Agostino that's truly worth lamenting, that's all. The success he has in the AHL doesn't translate to the next level.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote