Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:
Default Flames Friendly Sports Bar in Vancouver

Anyone know of a sports bar in Vancouver that a lot of Calgary fans go to watch Calgary games? Looking to go with a few Calgary friends on Saturday for the Canucks game.
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Flames Friendly Sports Bar in Vancouver

Old 03-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Black Frog, been there a few times to watch games.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
The Black Frog, been there a few times to watch games.
Word of Warning:

Owned by Oilers Fan.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just dont forget to bring your torch and pitchfork so you can blend in and they'll think you're one of them...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't know any, but this reminded me of a funny story. I was in Vancouver on a layover to Hong Kong, and across the hotel I was staying at was a bar, and it so happened that the Flames were in town playing that night. Having nothing to do that night, I went in sporting my Flames hat, and sat with my wife and watched the game. When I was first approached, the waitress was very nice, got us our orders, and left. Canucks scored. I needed another, was brought my beer. Then the Flames started scoring. I don't remember the exact score, but we kicked the Canuck's ass something to the tune of 5-2 or something. Every time they scored, I didn't celebrate egregiously, but I did have a muffled yell with a small fist pump. I think by the time we were up 3-1, I glanced around for my waitress, and she was nowhere to be found. Everybody in the bar was giving my wife and I stank eye, and I shrugged it off. My waitress didn't once come back to our table, and I had to go to the bar and get her attention to pay my bill. not to mention she was an uber bitch when I did ask for it

Long story short, Vancouver fans take themselves way too seriously.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

It's like the Walking Dead when they smear guts over themselves to blend in with the zombies, just bathe yourself in cheap cologne, put on some gold chains/accessories, A LOT of product in your hair and be an absolute dick head to everyone around you for no apparent reason.

You will fit right in and they will be none the wiser.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Three years ago it was the King's Head Pub in Kitsilano. Here's the thread.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=104192
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
It's like the Walking Dead when they smear guts over themselves to blend in with the zombies, just bathe yourself in cheap cologne, put on some gold chains/accessories, A LOT of product in your hair and be an absolute dick head to everyone around you for no apparent reason.

You will fit right in and they will be none the wiser.
How do you disguise yourself in Edmonton? I'll be there this weekend. I'm assuming I'll need to buy some sweatpants, anything else?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
FakenHaken
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
How do you disguise yourself in Edmonton? I'll be there this weekend. I'm assuming I'll need to buy some sweatpants, anything else?
Good Shoes and get an 80's style wig. I'd even go so bold as to wear your Pee Wee 1 Hockey Jacket with your name on the sleeve too.
FakenHaken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FakenHaken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Haven't been in a long while but is Library Square still Flames friendly? Thought it use to be owned by a Flames fan or something along those lines.

Is anybody going to the game on Saturday? I will be there, albeit working but would be interested in a beer after if anyone else is.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #12
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bimini's on 4th has recently reopened after succumbing to Flames a couple of years ago.

Used to be a good spot for Flames fans to watch a game in peace but I don't know what it's like now.

http://donnellygroup.ca/locations/pubs/the-bimini/

When I lived downtown, Score on Davie was my go-to sports bar for the game. Another solid place to watch some hockey and not be bothered. Great food, too.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/77060...avie-Vancouver
http://scoreondavie.com/
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Thought it use to be owned by a Flames fan or something along those lines.
Pretty sure it got torched a couple of years ago.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
I don't know any, but this reminded me of a funny story. I was in Vancouver on a layover to Hong Kong, and across the hotel I was staying at was a bar, and it so happened that the Flames were in town playing that night. Having nothing to do that night, I went in sporting my Flames hat, and sat with my wife and watched the game. When I was first approached, the waitress was very nice, got us our orders, and left. Canucks scored. I needed another, was brought my beer. Then the Flames started scoring. I don't remember the exact score, but we kicked the Canuck's ass something to the tune of 5-2 or something. Every time they scored, I didn't celebrate egregiously, but I did have a muffled yell with a small fist pump. I think by the time we were up 3-1, I glanced around for my waitress, and she was nowhere to be found. Everybody in the bar was giving my wife and I stank eye, and I shrugged it off. My waitress didn't once come back to our table, and I had to go to the bar and get her attention to pay my bill. not to mention she was an uber bitch when I did ask for it

Long story short, Vancouver fans take themselves way too seriously.
I would not assume that people in Vancouver are paying attention to a televised hockey game.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #15
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Edmonton is a bit more tricky.. it isn't all about how you dress there but how you talk. For instance, if you were go to into a bar and order a 'pint of beer' they would look at you funny. But if you go in and order a 'pint of make the girls moderately attractive' they will fill it right to the brim while the toothless wonders who stuffed themselves into a dress two sizes to small for them push the bar stools weight capacity to its limit in anticipation of your increasing drunkiness. Always a good idea to tether yourself to another friend as the walruses are more scavengers than hunters. You can also distract them by offering them some chewing tabacco or a garbage bag full of pop corn.

That being said, as much denim as possible will help and make sure that you don't stop talking about the fact that you have a river that runs through your city. Again, if you are to get into a situation where you find they make be catching on to you like if you accidently say "Please" or "Thank You" or "Man this city smells bad" instantly change the topic to the river... "---I mean, how about that stretch of water that runs into our city, hey?" "Oh yea ok hes one of us.." etc..
Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #16
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Black Frog is for sure an Oilers bar. Sin Bin is a Canadiens bar. I've watched Calgary/Vancouver games at both, as well as Yagger's. They all have average pub food. The few times I've been to Yagger's have been nice, as we've had the back room to about 20 of us Calgary fans.

Donnelly Group bars are scummy and usually filled with Ed Hardy clothes.

Library Square is a general dump. I went one night for a friend's birthday and arrived around 8:30. There was a small line up, but we were still outside for 30 minutes. No one ever came out and they randomly let people in. We get inside and the place is 75% empty. They were just making a line to get people to think it was busy inside. I asked to order food at 9 and they said they just closed the kitchen. Instead of letting me in to eat and drink, they made me wait outside, where I could do neither. I hate places like that.

Depending on what area of the city you are in, I'd try Rogue Wet Bar, maybe Steamworks, or any of the Joeys or Cactus Clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #17
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't go to the Cactus Club to stare at the servers/watch the game. I remember asking the gals this past January if they could change the poker to the Flames game on Sportsnet West (there was no Canuck game on that night) and they "didn't have that channel". What bar/lounge/restaurant (with sports playing on the TV's) doesn't subscribe to any sort of NHL package? Maybe a local mom/pop one trying to save money but a CC in downtown Vancouver, c'mon!
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #18
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Don't go to the Cactus Club to stare at the servers/watch the game. I remember asking the gals this past January if they could change the poker to the Flames game on Sportsnet West (there was no Canuck game on that night) and they "didn't have that channel". What bar/lounge/restaurant (with sports playing on the TV's) doesn't subscribe to any sort of NHL package? Maybe a local mom/pop one trying to save money but a CC in downtown Vancouver, c'mon!
When I first moved to Victoria, I went to a BP's (marketed as a sports lounge) and asked for the Flames game, which had already started after the Canucks game ended) and the server said she couldn't switch it over as the TV's were all hooked to one channel, and she didnt want to make everyone watch the Flames game. We finished our drink and left.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #19
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, I was surprised at how coldly I was treated in Victoria while wearing Flames gear. It's not Vancouver, you think they wouldn't be completely surprised to see other teams being represented. I know residents that hate the Canucks, and choose to cheer for the Habs instead.

Yet funny enough when I was living in Lethbridge for a while, I noticed there was an overwhelming number of Oiler fans to Flames fans. A couple bars there came across as pro-Oilers and some fans went as far as to rip the Flames flags off my friend's car. But really, it isn't Calgary, despite being geographically much closer to city one than the other, you can't really call it Flames territory.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #20
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I get more compliments on my Bruins jersey then I do in my Flames. I cant add anything to the OPs post though, Darcys is (was) a good Flames pub in Victoria. I believe the owner was buddies with Mitch Wahl when he was still a prospect.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote