Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #61
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
My other neighbour came and talked to me about a fence and grass before they did anything.
I don't wanna ask, I think

but...did you pony up any money for this fence?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #62
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I don't wanna ask, I think

but...did you pony up any money for this fence?
They didn't put up a fence. They did put the grass down. We didn't go half on it but I did refer them to the same people that graded my property and the same people that I bought my grass from. We did split the cost of renting tilling and flattening equipment from Home Depot and we did it together. As you can see, I may be inflexible to you but when you go through the proper channels I'll do the neighbourly thing.

Last edited by Meelapo; 04-26-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #63
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As soon as I saw the fence was being constructed and I wasn't asked I assumed that he took it upon himself to fund the project. I just asked if he measured the property lines correctly because when an adjacent neighbour didn't do it they had to tear down the fence and rebuild it which, I'm sure, cost them additional money. I just wanted to prevent the same mistake from happening.
Yup, that's mighty neighbourly of you.

Quote:
And to reiterate, had he done this like a normal person would rather than work out all the details of the fence himself and then demand money I would have gladly paid. However, because he didn't consult me, because he didn't ask me I refuse to pay. I'm sure most people here would refuse to pay for something that was forced on them. When I talked to him he did say "You know you can pay if you want, it doesn't matter to me." So I said I won't pay. He gave me an option.
Reading this stuff, it makes me laugh that you don't understand why the guy's a prick to you. Sure, he's probably a bit of a jacka$$, but you sure don't go out of your way to show any tact in the relationship. As far as I'm concerned you deserve every bit of grief you get.

I've met guys like you, but they're usually 60 year old bitter d-bags. I'm so glad I don't have neighbours like you.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #64
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Yup, that's mighty neighbourly of you.

Reading this stuff, it makes me laugh that you don't understand why the guy's a prick to you. Sure, he's probably a bit of a jacka$$, but you sure don't go out of your way to show any tact in the relationship. As far as I'm concerned you deserve every bit of grief you get.

I've met guys like you, but they're usually 60 year old bitter d-bags. I'm so glad I don't have neighbours like you.
I don't know if he's being a prick to me or not. He may park his broken down truck on his driveway because he likes the look of it. As far as he knows he doesn't know I don't like it. All he knows is that he, at one point, received a bylaw notice regarding his property.

Aside from the fence issue which, again, I don't think I'm at fault what else have I done. I've tried talking to him but, like you, he's already classified me as a d-bag so my hands are tied. He won't listen to what I have to say. He will, however, listen to what a bylaw officer has to say I'm sure (or at least hoping).

Glad I could make you laugh. From your post it sounds like you could use one or two.

Last edited by Meelapo; 04-26-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #65
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #66
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's no fun having crummy neighbors. I have some that run a Tree maintenance business from their house-which causes additional traffic, parking of 1 and 5 ton vehicles plus trailers (causing damage to my vehicle, although I didn't see it happen, and they denied it) as well as employee vehicles in the front and back of the house, they do all the maintenance and cleaning there, as well as sometimes shred there as well.

On top of it all, they have 2 border collies that are always out when they are doing this stuff, running up and down my fence agitating my dog, and ting all over. Yesterday I finally watched one of the dogs doing this and brought it to their attention, to which they replied "thanks, I do pick it up when I see it". I wanted to ask what happens the other 90 times it happens and he doesn't see it, but being the puss that I am, I just mumbled thanks and went inside. These guys have been doing this for 5 years now, and no one else has called By-law on them yet. Am I the neighbor?
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #67
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I wasn't expecting it to turn out this way. I really just wanted advice about the parking situation and I've noticed in the past that users have posted questions in the past and have received decent comments and advice. But then again, at times it's hard to tell on forums.

Anyways, I just keep on repeating things so I'll just leave it at that. Thanks for all the comments and advice. I'll post back when I hear back from the bylaw officer as I'm sure there might be some people who are interested in seeing the outcome or, at the very least, see me suffer
Old 04-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #68
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

^^^^^

I would assume it's against the law to run a business out of a private residence without a business license? Not sure though, but if they don't have a proper license and they're running/storing heavy equipment I'd think you would be able to do something about it.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #69
DionPlett
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So the fence got built then by a third party? Is it completley on your neighbour's property? As far as the broken down truck goes, if it's on his driveway there's really not a lot you can do even if the by-law says otherwise. He may be a bad neighbour but you also have to show a bit of discretion as to the extent of what you're going to complain about.
We're only hearing your side of the story here as well but I think the onus is on you now to call a truce and pay for half of the fence.
It was the tow truck driver blocking you on your driveway and not the neighbour, right? Those guys will do whatever they have to to get in and out, you can't blame your neighbour for that.

I'm very possessive of my property as well and do agree that people should ask or communicate when to comes to fences and such but I also make an effort to be a good neighbour by waving and saying hi to people around me all the time even though it's not always reciprocated.
DionPlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #70
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn't expecting it to turn out this way. I really just wanted advice about the parking situation and I've noticed in the past that users have posted questions in the past and have received decent comments and advice. But then again, at times it's hard to tell on forums.

Anyways, I just keep on repeating things so I'll just leave it at that. Thanks for all the comments and advice. I'll post back when I hear back from the bylaw officer as I'm sure there might be some people who are interested in seeing the outcome or, at the very least, see me suffer
If I were to give you advice, I would say that if you look at the responses to your original post, it appears many people don't get your problem, and many others seem to think you are acting like an a$$. Not saying you are or are not, but many people here think so. If it were one or two people, you could consider that a coincidence. When it's this many, it's not. You may feel that you are entirely justified in what you want/are doing, but you certainly aren't getting your point across. You should probably step back, take a good, dispassionate view of the situation, figure out what it is you are doing/saying that bothers people as much as it does, and figure out a better way of getting your point across. Remember, it's not just that you talk to your neighbors, its how you talk to them. Suck up your pride and figure this out. The last thing you want is a feud, cause then when you've had it, then you WILL have to think about your resale value. In that case, fighting with your neighbor could hurt your resale vale far, far, far worse than a broken down truck.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #71
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way you will get satisfation in dealing with a d-bag like this is to start operating on his level. On a day to day basis nice people get shat on all the time, it is the mean, nasty and cruel buggers that nobody ever wants to screws with.

I advise getting nasty ASAP. Step one, go to an auto junkyard. They will likely have a large "scrap heap" full of all metal parts that are worthles, good for nothing and free. Fill a couple of buckets up with this stuff then, at maybe 2-3 one morning, go and dump the entire pile on his doorstep with a note taped to his door: "FOR YOUR VAN".

If the douchbaggery continues after step one (or, if like me, you just simply feel another couple of steps are needed, for good measure) then you move to step two. Again at 2-3 one morning head over to the bum boy's property, this time bring a few gallons of motor oil. Pour most of it down the nearest street drain (assuming there is one reasonably close to his home) and a small amount under his garbage van. Call 3-1-1 early the next morning (works best to do the deed Sunday night, call Monday morning) and advise you wittnessed your neighbour dispose of his used motor oil down a city drain. A "neighbour" of mine once recieved this fine, it was for $2500.00 and can be as high as $10,000.00...trust me, this one will hurt.

Now, if all else fails and you need to continue, then you can always go to step 3, or as I call it, Defcon 3. Defcon 3 is pretty intense, only move to this stage if needed! Again, at 2-3 in the morning, you head over to his place. This time what you're bringing is a big container of "Round Up". Make sure to coat his entire front and (if possible) back lawn with the product as well as any trees, shrubs, bushes, flowers and any other vegetation he has growing. Within 2 weeks his entire yard will be dirt brown and the beauty of it is that it will happen slow and the dumb ass will have no idea what is happening until it is too late!!

So there you go OP, Kipperfan's home remedy for winning back your turf. Brew it carefully.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kipperfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #72
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing like doing illegal activities to get even.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #73
dustyanddaflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jebus Chris, sounds like a lot of you should be acreage owners instead... Coming from the country side, I have no idea what it is like to walk out my door and see a steaming pile of poo on my neighbours driveway, but it is his driveway, and what he chooses to do on it is his business.
I can understand you complaints with the tow truck drive, it is your property after all, and that seems like a reasonable complaint. But the broke down truck on his cement pad, that is not your property, and while I understand it is in your view daily, it is not yours to become bothersome about.
dustyanddaflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #74
dustyanddaflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperfan View Post
The only way you will get satisfation in dealing with a d-bag like this is to start operating on his level. On a day to day basis nice people get shat on all the time, it is the mean, nasty and cruel buggers that nobody ever wants to screws with.

I advise getting nasty ASAP. Step one, go to an auto junkyard. They will likely have a large "scrap heap" full of all metal parts that are worthles, good for nothing and free. Fill a couple of buckets up with this stuff then, at maybe 2-3 one morning, go and dump the entire pile on his doorstep with a note taped to his door: "FOR YOUR VAN".

If the douchbaggery continues after step one (or, if like me, you just simply feel another couple of steps are needed, for good measure) then you move to step two. Again at 2-3 one morning head over to the bum boy's property, this time bring a few gallons of motor oil. Pour most of it down the nearest street drain (assuming there is one reasonably close to his home) and a small amount under his garbage van. Call 3-1-1 early the next morning (works best to do the deed Sunday night, call Monday morning) and advise you wittnessed your neighbour dispose of his used motor oil down a city drain. A "neighbour" of mine once recieved this fine, it was for $2500.00 and can be as high as $10,000.00...trust me, this one will hurt.

Now, if all else fails and you need to continue, then you can always go to step 3, or as I call it, Defcon 3. Defcon 3 is pretty intense, only move to this stage if needed! Again, at 2-3 in the morning, you head over to his place. This time what you're bringing is a big container of "Round Up". Make sure to coat his entire front and (if possible) back lawn with the product as well as any trees, shrubs, bushes, flowers and any other vegetation he has growing. Within 2 weeks his entire yard will be dirt brown and the beauty of it is that it will happen slow and the dumb ass will have no idea what is happening until it is too late!!

So there you go OP, Kipperfan's home remedy for winning back your turf. Brew it carefully.
I would like to add onto Defcon 3 - wear protective gloves and clothing, the stuff in dangerous and if you don't have a chemical applicators license, you have no idea the damage you can do. Also, if the home owner comes out and confront you in the act, apply said chemical to eyes and mouth and run like hell.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #75
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dude, RU (glysophate) is harmless to humans.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #76
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My oh my... the posts in this thread have degenerated to the point where they're comparable to youtube comments... each poster trying to be more outlandish and offensive than the last.

In the spirit of things, OP, you are the worst human being ever and you should not be allowed to live in a house, let alone own one. I can't believe you get upset at this stuff... your neighbor should spit in your face and sleep with your wife because you didn't pay for a fence.

Maybe you should extend the olive branch to your neighbor and work out a compromise - pay for the portion of the fence if it was constructed properly on the property line and he'll remove the broken down truck within X-days. Maybe take over a 6-er of beer to help melt the ice (and to use to bash him over the head if he refuses to accept your overture).
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #77
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
If I were to give you advice, I would say that if you look at the responses to your original post, it appears many people don't get your problem, and many others seem to think you are acting like an a$$. Not saying you are or are not, but many people here think so. If it were one or two people, you could consider that a coincidence. When it's this many, it's not. You may feel that you are entirely justified in what you want/are doing, but you certainly aren't getting your point across. You should probably step back, take a good, dispassionate view of the situation, figure out what it is you are doing/saying that bothers people as much as it does, and figure out a better way of getting your point across. Remember, it's not just that you talk to your neighbors, its how you talk to them. Suck up your pride and figure this out. The last thing you want is a feud, cause then when you've had it, then you WILL have to think about your resale value. In that case, fighting with your neighbor could hurt your resale vale far, far, far worse than a broken down truck.
I think most people seem to have a problem with me not paying for a fence that I didn't agree to having in the first place. It might be easy for some people to say just go pay for it but I would like to find out if they were in the same situation would they bend over, like the claim they would, and just pay whatever the neighbour wanted. Probably not. I guess we'll never know.

The bylaw officer did call me back just now. He said that he gave them notice to move both the truck and the giant snow plow blade. They didn't and claimed they were having problems finding a tow truck (oddly enough). He served them notice again today and said if they didn't move it by next week then he'll move both things himself. I guess I was interpreting the bylaw correctly.

The only vile thing I can think of doing is maybe knocking down their empty blue recycle bin.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #78
dustyanddaflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Dude, RU (glysophate) is harmless to humans.
You tell my eyes that, after opening a jug of round up under pressure.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #79
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think most people seem to have a problem with me not paying for a fence that I didn't agree to having in the first place. It might be easy for some people to say just go pay for it but I would like to find out if they were in the same situation would they bend over, like the claim they would, and just pay whatever the neighbour wanted. Probably not. I guess we'll never know.

The bylaw officer did call me back just now. He said that he gave them notice to move both the truck and the giant snow plow blade. They didn't and claimed they were having problems finding a tow truck (oddly enough). He served them notice again today and said if they didn't move it by next week then he'll move both things himself. I guess I was interpreting the bylaw correctly.
Reading everything in the thread, I concluded that:

1) your neighbour is one of the dirt people
2) you must have little experience living among humans

You don't have to pay for half the fence, and I completely understand your POV, but in the long run it's much better to pay some token amount ($250-500), assuming it's a good fence - after all you have a fence, and it's always wise to have at least a decent relationship with the people who live next to you. Your neighbour no doubt knows who the source of the by-law notice is - now you have to watch out for kipperfan's methods being applied to you. Who wants to live like that?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #80
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyanddaflames View Post
You tell my eyes that, after opening a jug of round up under pressure.
Okay, yes, it hurts the eyes. But obviously you can see again