Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2024, 12:21 PM   #1521
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

We need to start cheering for Ott/Mtl/Ari to help us in the race to the bottom.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:22 PM   #1522
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
Every year we've been in the lottery, I think we are due. If there truly was a hockey god, they should be fair and reward the most anti-tank organization ever!
I cheer for the Flames. Unfortunately that guarantees that your scenario won’t happen.
Old 03-29-2024, 12:42 PM   #1523
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon24

Quote:
Markstrom is worth more than moving up ~15 drafts spots.
Moving up in the 1st round is expensive. Maybe it’s the Flames 2nd + Markstrom for NJ’s 1st then. Cory Schneider was traded straight up for the 9th overall pick but he was 26 years old at the time with what was thought to be the prime of his career ahead of him. We can’t forget that Markstrom has only 2 years left and will be 36 when his contract expires.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 01:00 PM   #1524
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

The pressure is absolutely on in NJ. I don't think they love Ullmark, Saros likely isn't available... Who else is there? Fitz is a 10 game segment away from getting canned if he doesn't start with .900 goaltending. They'll pay the first.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:04 PM   #1525
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
The pressure is absolutely on in NJ. I don't think they love Ullmark, Saros likely isn't available... Who else is there? Fitz is a 10 game segment away from getting canned if he doesn't start with .900 goaltending. They'll pay the first.
I think they could pay the first, but not the 2024 one. They likely bet that they are a better team next year and cough up a 2025 with some level of protection.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:07 PM   #1526
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think they could pay the first, but not the 2024 one. They likely bet that they are a better team next year and cough up a 2025 with some level of protection.
Easy pass. I hope they use the leverage. They may well have no other options and it is highly likely that even if they did they are so in love with Marky that they will pay.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:08 PM   #1527
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We have a lot of draft picks now. Probably a good idea to spread them out so if you hit on all of them you don’t have to pay them all at the same time.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:08 PM   #1528
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Easy pass. I hope they use the leverage. They may well have no other options and it is highly likely that even if they did they are so in love with Marky that they will pay.
Both teams have leverage
There are only so many #1 goalies available
There are only so many teams that need a #1 goalie.

Who blinks first?
Old 03-29-2024, 01:09 PM   #1529
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well if Fitz is still interested I’m sure Conman will hear about it through the media.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 01:09 PM   #1530
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
We have a lot of draft picks now. Probably a good idea to spread them out so if you hit on all of them you don’t have to pay them all at the same time.
Generally agree but I also see NJD as a team on the upswing and that this year was more of a blip. The 2024 pick will likely be higher than the 2025 or 2026 picks. I preferred the later pick for Vegas but for NJD I'd prefer the 2024 pick. Just don't see it as being likely.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:11 PM   #1531
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’d happily take a ‘25 1st.

Two first round picks in each of 24, 25, and 26 is a pretty good position to be in.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 01:15 PM   #1532
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Both teams have leverage
There are only so many #1 goalies available
There are only so many teams that need a #1 goalie.

Who blinks first?
My guess is Fitz. Conroy can sit on markstrom. Fitz can't afford to not take a swing on goalies.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:17 PM   #1533
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pucks and pitchforks had an article suggesting Thompson, Gustavsson and ###melka as options if prices are too high. I've never been a fan of right-catching goalies, so that leaves one and it's questionable if Gustavsson is better than Allen. Thompson is a Band-Aid, ###melka is a huge unknown.

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/posts...-talks-about/3

Fitz won't overpay. That is clear.

Holtz + 1st (unprotected) should be enough for both sides. Some form of sweetener will be needed from NJ if there is retention.

TBH none of the goalie options are particularly appealing.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:18 PM   #1534
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wonder if there is a better quality haul of futures to be had if we take on the last 3 years of Palats bad contract (6MM) from NJD.

Markstrom
for
Palat + 2024 1st + 2026 Unprotected 1st + 2nd 2025.

Then trade Mangiapane (50% Retained) for a 2nd Round Pick (or 3rd + 4th).
Kuzmenko (50% Retained) for a 2nd Round Pick.
Rasmus Andersson to Detroit for 2024 1st + Marco Kasper.
Jakob Pelletier + Something to MTL for our Conditional 1st back (most likely Florida's 2025 1st).
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:22 PM   #1535
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Pucks and pitchforks had an article suggesting Thompson, Gustavsson and ###melka as options if prices are too high. I've never been a fan of right-catching goalies, so that leaves one and it's questionable if Gustavsson is better than Allen. Thompson is a Band-Aid, ###melka is a huge unknown.

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/posts...-talks-about/3

Fitz won't overpay. That is clear.

Holtz + 1st (unprotected) should be enough for both sides. Some form of sweetener will be needed from NJ if there is retention.

TBH none of the goalie options are particularly appealing.
Is their 1st this year not equivalent or less than the package you listed? I actually think the '24 first is pretty reasonable compared to other pieces that have speculated on. No sweetener for retention either.

Lol at that swear filter. This site sometimes
Old 03-29-2024, 01:24 PM   #1536
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wonder if there is a better quality haul of futures to be had if we take on the last 3 years of Palats bad contract (6MM) from NJD.

Markstrom
for
Palat + 2024 1st + 2026 Unprotected 1st + 2nd 2025.

Then trade Mangiapane (50% Retained) for a 2nd Round Pick (or 3rd + 4th).
Kuzmenko (50% Retained) for a 2nd Round Pick.
Rasmus Andersson to Detroit for 2024 1st + Marco Kasper.
Jakob Pelletier + Something to MTL for our Conditional 1st back (most likely Florida's 2025 1st).
I’d keep Kuzmenko and Anderson out of your list.

I think Markstrom and Mangiapane will be leaving. I don’t disagree with you on Pelletier. One thing is for certain. This offseason will be very interesting. There are a number of young players ready to graduate. A ton of new prospects. Potential for a pretty good player out of this draft. A few underperforming vets and a ton of capspace.

Play your cards right and the team could still be half decent next season with the prospect and draft pick cupboard refilled.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:27 PM   #1537
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

That pick has too much potential value for Montreal to move it for Pelletier + something. Unless that something is Dustin Wolf.
At worst it's Florida's pick, but the chance it is a pick in the teens makes it very appealing to hold on to. You'd have to give them something really good for them to give that up.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:39 PM   #1538
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The draft thread consistently has some of the best quality discussions on CalgaryPuck.
I don't necessarily agree with everything that is being said, but it's interesting to see people's takes and their reasoning behind them.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 01:52 PM   #1539
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That pick has too much potential value for Montreal to move it for Pelletier + something. Unless that something is Dustin Wolf.
At worst it's Florida's pick, but the chance it is a pick in the teens makes it very appealing to hold on to. You'd have to give them something really good for them to give that up.
I wouldn't trade Pelletier for a late first. He's too valuable to what this team is trying to build. Would I trade him for a 11-16 pick. I guess I probably would, but it would also depend on circumstance. Like, I wouldn't trade Pelletier for this year's 16 OA pick without an unexpected draft day fall.

Anyhow, given the probability of how that pick ends up, I wouldn't trade for it with Pelletier.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:53 PM   #1540
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't trade Pelletier for a late first. He's too valuable to what this team is trying to build. Would I trade him for a 11-16 pick. I guess I probably would, but it would also depend on circumstance. Like, I wouldn't trade Pelletier for this year's 16 OA pick without an unexpected draft day fall.

Anyhow, given the probability of how that pick ends up, I wouldn't trade for it with Pelletier.
I have a different view. I think his value is at best a late first. I like the player but he's had injury problems, and is shaping up to be a bottom 6 forward at best.
So for a mid round 1st (20 or higher) I'd be all over it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft