Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #321
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Hey, Molson, if this was a criminal trial, you would be talking to the priest...
I like that line. You are right there are plenty of counts of 2nd degree acts in Feaster's history. 1st degree would be iffy, as most of you would argue he lacked the direction needed for pre-meditated anything. Sorry to derail from the lynching. I just find it interesting how the legend of his failure grows over time. I don't see the need to keep piling on a guy who's head is already on the pike.

I really hope the current regime can survive a similar level of scrutiny.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #322
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Perhaps it's time to put one down?
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chill Cosby For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #323
FAN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonInBothHands View Post
OK. So they tried, but not very damn hard it seems like. This sounds way more like tire kicking to me, but if you really want to call it proof of an attempt, knock yourself out.

He ended up going back to Edmonton for Colin Fraser and a 7th? That is pretty high stakes they bowed out of. I wonder what Edmonton was offering before Lombardi pronounced Calgary was in the mix. Or are you saying Lombardi let himself get into an Iginla like mess, and the deal with Calgary was done before Smyth kaiboshed it? That would be inexcusable.
I will feed the troll.

Smyth wanted a trade back to Alberta for family reasons. Edmonton was obviously his first choice. The Kings contacted the Oilers but they didn't like what the Oilers were offering so they contacted the Flames and found that Feaster was interested. Lombardi was expecting zero compensation for Smyth at that point. He just wanted to accommodate Smyth and have time to replace him. In order to make it work with Edmonton, Lombardi wanted a player he could buy out. From the Flames end, Lombardi acknowledged that it wasn't about compensation. As linked above, the TSN crew alluded to, the Flames needed ownership approval. This is more than kicking the tires. This was calling up the tire store, getting emailed a formal quote, and taking to the boss for expense approval.
FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FAN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #324
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can you clarify: you say the Kings were not happy with what Edmonton was offering, then say it was not about the compensation?

The troll comment stings by the way. Just trying to let the poor ####### die with some dignity.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #325
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Feaster's first two years aim was to make the playoffs, the same as Sutter. He failed terribly. Burke and Treliving's aim is to do a sensible rebuild. Their record at this point is largely irrelevant.
That is the beauty for Burke/Treliving there are absolutely no expectations on them. I do not understand why a rebuild necessitates not having accountability for what your record is, unless the Flames are planning on going full Oiler. I would think that in Feaster's first two years he failed terribly the same way that Sutter failed terribly his last two years, no? Perhaps it just was not a playoff team.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 08-01-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #326
FAN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonInBothHands View Post
Can you clarify: you say the Kings were not happy with what Edmonton was offering, then say it was not about the compensation?

The troll comment stings by the way. Just trying to let the poor ####### die with some dignity.
Apparently the Oilers originally wanted to dump Souray onto the Kings. That's when Lombardi called the Flames. For whatever reason, Oilers needed to dump a contract back onto the Kings in order for a deal to work. So Lombardi was pretty much like fine give me a player I can buy out. That's why the whole thing went down badly. Edmonton kept assuring Lombardi that the player they sent the Kings way was healthy (first Brule, then Fraser). Lombardi couldn't buy out an injured player. So it wasn't about the compensation because the Kings weren't looking to get anything out of the deal except to get the deal done quickly so they have time to find a replacement.

I apologize for the troll comment. It just seemed to me that you were ignoring everything that has been posted in favor of your definition of "interest".
FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FAN For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #327
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing that annoys me about this thread is that there are posters who are so anti-Feaster now, but were just happy as hell when he tried to lure Richards here and then offer sheeted ROR. I hate hypocrites, and there are more than a few cropping up in this thread.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...=brad+richards

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ght=O%27Reilly

If Feaster made the right moves then, then how can he be an idiot now? I can respect someone like Phanuthier and CsInMyBlood, who called him out then, but Vinny01 and Vulcan really need to check their posting history before getting all holier than thou about Feaster's decision making now. Yeah, Feaster made some questionable moves, but he did so under the constraints the owners made him work under. They never wanted a rebuild until he convinced them it was a hopeless cause, and only then did they agree to dump the players that really needed to go. Feaster was caught between a rock and Murray Edwards. It was a no win situation, no matter how much people like to suggest otherwise.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #328
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The thing that annoys me about this thread is that there are posters who are so anti-Feaster now, but were just happy as hell when he tried to lure Richards here and then offer sheeted ROR. I hate hypocrites, and there are more than a few cropping up in this thread.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...=brad+richards

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...ght=O%27Reilly

If Feaster made the right moves then, then how can he be an idiot now? I can respect someone like Phanuthier and CsInMyBlood, who called him out then, but Vinny01 and Vulcan really need to check their posting history before getting all holier than thou about Feaster's decision making now. Yeah, Feaster made some questionable moves, but he did so under the constraints the owners made him work under. They never wanted a rebuild until he convinced them it was a hopeless cause, and only then did they agree to dump the players that really needed to go. Feaster was caught between a rock and Murray Edwards. It was a no win situation, no matter how much people like to suggest otherwise.
Okay, what did I say in regards to those two threads? I know I lambasted him in the Erixon and Regehr deals.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #329
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, what did I say in regards to those two threads? I know I lambasted him in the Erixon and Regehr deals.
You didn't post anything in the Richards thread. In the ROR thread you posted this.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...&postcount=560
Quote:
Hey at least we wont' be giving up two first rounders like the Leafs did. I like the deal but I think Colorado will match just as Nashville did when everyone thought they couldn't.
You can use the "search this thread" function to find posts.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #330
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
You didn't post anything in the Richards thread. In the ROR thread you posted this.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...&postcount=560

You can use the "search this thread" function to find posts.
Well I was right, Colorado matched and at the time we didn't know the rule that made the deal, close to a disaster. So I was commenting on a deal before all the facts were known. Heck, if you asked me my opinion in the Regehr deal before the details came out and when it was said we were getting the 2nd rounder, I might have said I like the deal as well. Feaster was getting paid to know the rules, me as a fan not so much. All this shows is that I didn't hate Feaster and was willing to look at his move without bias.

The long and the short of it is my posting was critical of Feaster on the Erixon and Regehr deals, so it was critical when I thought it deserved to be and since the Regehr deal was made to get cap room to try and sign Richards, I guess I took a wait and see approach.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post: