Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #21
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's the thing though. Do they feel its the right thing to do, or are they doing it because they know this battle is lost and it makes them un-electable? I'm sure some feel the former, but I get the feeling for a lot it is the latter.
Only in the world of left wing politics is a course change by the NDP or Liberals worthy of unquestioned praise, while a change by the Conservatives should only be met with cynicism.

The Liberals under Chretien voted more than once to support the "traditional definition of marriage" too. They ultimately changed course as well, despite the obviously held beliefs of many of their MPs at the time (given the vote). Should that have been viewed as cynically as you view this?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #22
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Only in the world of left wing politics is a course change by the NDP or Liberals worthy of unquestioned praise, while a change by the Conservatives should only be met with cynicism.

That's pretty over-dramatic, something often found in the world of right wing politics.

I think it's an obvious and good move. Honestly, if the conservatives could get these little issues sorted and get themselves on a more modern social track, they'd have my vote. They also need a proper leader than can stand up as the "adult" in the whole Trudeau/Mulcair mix. If they go with someone catty and showy that's just like the others, they're not doing Canada any favours.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

The Liberals under Chretien voted more than once to support the "traditional definition of marriage" too. They ultimately changed course as well, despite the obviously held beliefs of many of their MPs at the time (given the vote). Should that have been viewed as cynically as you view this?
It has nothing to do with politics, I'm just cynical. I'd be cynical of the Liberals changing policy to be more supportive of gun rights if they thought it would get them votes, too.
I'm not sure why every viewpoint has to be immediately hit with a "oh, that's so Liberal of you" or "that's a Conservative talking point" or "Communist!" Sometimes people just express their feelings and isn't in support of any particular party. I feel the move is not a shift in their core, it's an attempt to appeal to voters. You can call me cynical, but don't try to turn it into hypocrisy. It's not.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #24
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz View Post
it has nothing to do with politics, i'm just cynical. I'd be cynical of the liberals changing policy to be more supportive of gun rights if they thought it would get them votes, too.
I'm not sure why every viewpoint has to be immediately hit with a "oh, that's so liberal of you" or "that's a conservative talking point" or "communist!" sometimes people just express their feelings and isn't in support of any particular party. I feel the move is not a shift in their core, it's an attempt to appeal to voters. You can call me cynical, but don't try to turn it into hypocrisy. It's not.
fyp
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #25
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It has nothing to do with politics, I'm just cynical. I'd be cynical of the Liberals changing policy to be more supportive of gun rights if they thought it would get them votes, too.
I'm not sure why every viewpoint has to be immediately hit with a "oh, that's so Liberal of you" or "that's a Conservative talking point" or "Communist!" Sometimes people just express their feelings and isn't in support of any particular party. I feel the move is not a shift in their core, it's an attempt to appeal to voters. You can call me cynical, but don't try to turn it into hypocrisy. It's not.
Thank you.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #26
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Non-partisan criticism?
Impossible!
Communist!
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #27
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was reading what people have been tweeting at rempel and kenney. Sometimes I forget there are people in this country who want us to be a theocracy.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morgin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #28
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
fyp
Um, correcting three misplaced capital letters while completely ignoring the most basic ones (such as the ones to begin a sentence, capitalizing "I", "I'm", etc...) is the most epic fyp-fail I have ever seen on CP.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #29
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Um, correcting three misplaced capital letters while completely ignoring the most basic ones (such as the ones to begin a sentence, capitalizing "I", "I'm", etc...) is the most epic fyp-fail I have ever seen on CP.
As someone with a Poli Sci degree will tell you (which I have), there is a huge difference between using the term liberal and Liberal, the capitalized of which refers to the political party while the small l liberal refers to the ideology and the same goes for conservative, communist, etc. *mic drop*
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #30
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Hey its a step in the right direction, good for them. I wonder what the % was say 10 years ago, since its still now 33%.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #31
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As someone with a Poli Sci degree will tell you (which I have), there is a huge difference between using the term liberal and Liberal, the capitalized of which refers to the political party while the small l liberal refers to the ideology and the same goes for conservative, communist, etc. *mic drop*
You still missed the very first word. Also, don't drop microphones. They're expensive.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #32
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As someone with a poli sci degree, the OP was correct because he was talking about parties and not ideologies. So yeah, pretty big fail.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 04:14 PM   #33
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by RougeUnderoos; 05-29-2016 at 04:16 PM.
RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #34
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Lamest "mic drop" ever.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #35
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Easily the best poly-sci joke out there.

V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #36
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That's the thing though. Do they feel its the right thing to do, or are they doing it because they know this battle is lost and it makes them un-electable? I'm sure some feel the former, but I get the feeling for a lot it is the latter.
To me, "conservatism" in the social sense is the idea that we don't change things just because someone thinks it's a good idea. We value what we've built, and we are very judicious when it comes to changing that because quite often these changes have unintended consequences. We didn't invent "marriage," so we should be very careful changing the definition of what it is.

Conversely, "liberalism" believes in the idea that we should be willing to try anything, as long as there aren't any compelling reasons not to. Personal freedom trumps our fear of the unknown.

Presently, we have survived 11 (apparently) years of gay marriage without a breakdown of society, legalization of bestiality or polygamy, etc. The concept has proven itself relatively benign. Therefore, although dropping the opposition to gay marriage may not be a Christian right-wing thing to do, it is not necessarily an "anti-conservative" thing to do.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cube Inmate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 05:08 PM   #37
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #38
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

edit, not worth it

Last edited by Kavvy; 05-29-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #39
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

The gay marriage debate between Andrew Sullivan and Doug Wilson - with Peter Hitchens moderating - is a pretty great look at the intellectual depth present on the conservative side. Worth a watch.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:28 PM   #40
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you look at the polls on gay marriage over the last 15 years, it's clearly an issue that a great many Canadians have changed their minds about. Half the people who support gay marriage today were once against it. Do you believe all Canadians who changed their mind on the issue are being opportunist and insincere, or only the politicians?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote