Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Ivrnet

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #41
DuffMan
Franchise Player
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryjohn87 View Post
You want some tissues?

When Le Pen wins the scum is gone, I know people like you will want them in Canada and with spineless leader shiny pony at the helm they'll be here in no time.
Lolwut? You aren't from Texas by any chance, are you?
__________________
Pass the bacon.
DuffMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:04 AM   #42
DuffMan
Franchise Player
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Mass shootings in the USA are now just a constitutional fact of life but for the life of me I can't get with the program on Trump being a racist!

I can get where he suffers from xenophobia or bigotry towards people prominently from Muslim country's but that still doesn't make him a racist preacher.
.
What were the motivating factors behind Trumps birther conspiracy with Obama, and the judge from Indiana with a Spanish last name presiding over a lawsuit against him.
If Obama was white and had The name Cletus Smith, would Trump have obsessed with his country of birth for 10 years? And why is that?
__________________
Pass the bacon.
DuffMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DuffMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #43
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
What were the motivating factors behind Trumps birther conspiracy with Obama, and the judge from Indiana with a Spanish last name presiding over a lawsuit against him.
If Obama was white and had The name Cletus Smith, would Trump have obsessed with his country of birth for 10 years? And why is that?
People like to use the term xenophobic because outright he doesn't say I hate people from this race, however he does seem to possess a lot of bigotry towards people who happen to not be white.

If this is just a shooting in France where 2 people are dead do you really think that the President of the United States would comment at all.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #44
Illuminaughty
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Vancouver Island
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
What were the motivating factors behind Trumps birther conspiracy with Obama, and the judge from Indiana with a Spanish last name presiding over a lawsuit against him.
If Obama was white and had The name Cletus Smith, would Trump have obsessed with his country of birth for 10 years? And why is that?
I think the motive was that the law states you have to be born in the USA to be the President, not some deep hatred of all people not white. That hardly qualifies as any proof of racism. Care to give it another go?
Illuminaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #45
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminaughty View Post
I think the motive was that the law states you have to be born in the USA to be the President, not some deep hatred of all people not white. That hardly qualifies as any proof of racism. Care to give it another go?
Really?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #46
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender
 
Kybosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: An all-inclusive.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminaughty View Post
I think the motive was that the law states you have to be born in the USA to be the President, not some deep hatred of all people not white. That hardly qualifies as any proof of racism. Care to give it another go?
Proof of racism? Probably not. Proof of astounding ignorance? Yes. A thousand times, yes.
Kybosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #47
Illuminaughty
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Vancouver Island
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
People like to use the term xenophobic because outright he doesn't say I hate people from this race, however he does seem to possess a lot of bigotry towards people who happen to not be white.

If this is just a shooting in France where 2 people are dead do you really think that the President of the United States would comment at all.
Can you define the term "Xenophobia"? Is it like similar to Islamophobia?

Is it a label that you get to subjectively attach to people based on your opinion or does it require any evidence?

I think that the circumstances of this shooting are clearly a hot button issue worldwide, that's why Trump is commenting on it. If it was a lovers quarrel in France, no I don't think he would be commenting on it. I don't get what point you are trying to make.
Illuminaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #48
Illuminaughty
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Vancouver Island
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Proof of racism? Probably not. Proof of astounding ignorance? Yes. A thousand times, yes.
That's fair, call it what it is. Trump was not the only person in on that birther "conspiracy", maybe one of the most vocal.
Illuminaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #49
DuffMan
Franchise Player
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminaughty View Post
I think the motive was that the law states you have to be born in the USA to be the President, not some deep hatred of all people not white. That hardly qualifies as any proof of racism. Care to give it another go?
So, Trump jumped to the conclusion Obama was not a US citizen solely because of his name and skin color. Sounds like racism to me.
__________________
Pass the bacon.
DuffMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #50
Illuminaughty
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Vancouver Island
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
So, Trump jumped to the conclusion Obama was not a US citizen solely because of his name and skin color. Sounds like racism to me.
He's half White and his name is Barry, it doesn't get much Whiter then that. What's your evidence that Trumped jumped to that conclusion based on his skin color solely?
Illuminaughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #51
nik-
Franchise Player
 
nik-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Exp:
Default

this thread is ####ing stupid

If only there was a 1300+ post 60 page thread dedicated to this.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #52
DuffMan
Franchise Player
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminaughty View Post
He's half White and his name is Barry, it doesn't get much Whiter then that. What's your evidence that Trumped jumped to that conclusion based on his skin color solely?
Jeez, I'm out of ideas, so, you tell me
__________________
Pass the bacon.
DuffMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:15 PM   #53
Snuffleupagus
Scoring Winger
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
So, Trump jumped to the conclusion Obama was not a US citizen solely because of his name and skin color. Sounds like racism to me.
No, Trump jumped on Obama's birther news because it had been big news but it took over 3 years before he mentioned it, the fact Obama wouldn't show his long form birth certificate was big and the list of politicians and even celebrities is long that questioned him. Are they all racists?

Or just Trump because you hate him?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #54
DuffMan
Franchise Player
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 127.0.0.1
Exp:
Default

Possibly, but only one person, held on to the belief for a decade, and sent a team of lawyers to Hawaii to pursue it, and constantly went on talk shows to make the accusations.

Quote:
I have people that have been studying [Obama's birth certificate] and they cannot believe what they're finding ... I would like to have him show his birth certificate, and can I be honest with you, I hope he can. Because if he can't, if he can't, if he wasn't born in this country, which is a real possibility ... then he has pulled one of the great cons in the history of politics."
Quote:
"His grandmother in Kenya said, 'Oh, no, he was born in Kenya and I was there and I witnessed the birth.' She's on tape. I think that tape's going to be produced fairly soon. Somebody is coming out with a book in two weeks, it will be very interesting."
Quote:
"A lot of people do not think it was an authentic certificate. ... Many people do not think it was authentic. His mother was not in the hospital. There are many other things that came out. And frankly if you would report it accurately I think you'd probably get better ratings than you're getting."
- May 29, 2012, to CNN's Wolf Blitzer
Quote:
"An 'extremely credible source' has called my office and told me that @BarackObama's birth certificate is a fraud."
Quote:
"There are three things that could happen. And one of them did happen. He was perhaps born in Kenya. Very simple, OK? He was perhaps born in this country. But said he was born in Kenya because if you say you were born in Kenya, you got aid and you got into colleges. People were doing that. So perhaps he was born in this country, and that has a very big chance. Or, you know, who knows?"
Etc. Etc.
__________________
Pass the bacon.

Last edited by DuffMan; 04-21-2017 at 09:40 PM.
DuffMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #55
gargamel
First Line Centre
 
gargamel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cambodia
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
No, Trump jumped on Obama's birther news because it had been big news but it took over 3 years before he mentioned it, the fact Obama wouldn't show his long form birth certificate was big and the list of politicians and even celebrities is long that questioned him. Are they all racists?
Unless they complained at least as much about Ted Cruz actually not being born in the U.S., then yes, they're all racists.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:59 PM   #56
calgaryblood
Franchise Player
 
calgaryblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Hmmmmmmm
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryjohn87 View Post
You want some tissues?

When Le Pen wins the scum is gone, I know people like you will want them in Canada and with spineless leader shiny pony at the helm they'll be here in no time.
Did you just call refugees scum?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #57
evman150
#1 Goaltender
 
evman150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham, UK
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I think we need to stop reporting these the way we do to keep perspective.

Caveat: I understand we can't for many reasons, I just think we need to.



By making this world renowned news, it moves needles in policy decision towards ideas that are reckless, bad for world peace, and not based in fact.

By making this small act a large message, you embolden those with messages we don't care to hear. This wasn't hard to do, nor was it particularly deadly. The effect was perfect. Some sound bites from world leaders and more pressure to "act".

In reality, more people in the US have died because of climate change. More have died because of the opiate crisis. More are dying because of vaccine preventable diseases. Hell, more people probably died of heat stroke in the last year on the Champs Elysees. There's literally thousands of things to be preoccupied with over this. This shouldn't move any needles.

Not only is this not something to be "terrorized" over, it's not worth discussion.
This is a great post and this viewpoint needs to be talked about WAY more.

Cable news's obsession with false equivalencies (ie having equal numbers of Trump supporters and normal people with a brain on a panel) falls apart when it comes to these situations. All of a sudden we get nothing but "experts" who trot out the same thinly veiled hate speech.

It's so frustrating. This was a murder. There are 1500 murders a month in the US. Why don't they look after their own house before feeding hatred towards the Muslim community?

White person kills someone = murder and no one cares.
Brown person kills someone = terrorism and it's front page news all over the world.

It is an absolutely ridiculous double standard.

Edit: I should add that of course no western outlets care when Muslims kill each other. But how dare they attack a white person, let alone a police officer! So frustratingly ridiculous. The news media should be ashamed, and they are complicit with the rising levels of hatred in the world.
__________________
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.


Last edited by evman150; 04-21-2017 at 10:07 PM.
evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #58
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player
 
Street Pharmacist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kamloops
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminaughty View Post
He's half White and his name is Barry, it doesn't get much Whiter then that. What's your evidence that Trumped jumped to that conclusion based on his skin color solely?
He looks 100 Black and his name is Barack Obama?
__________________
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:50 PM   #59
Snuffleupagus
Scoring Winger
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargamel View Post
Unless they complained at least as much about Ted Cruz actually not being born in the U.S., then yes, they're all racists.
So since Trump jumped all over Cruz during the primaries over this doesn't it show Trump not to be a racist?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #60
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminaughty View Post
He's half White and his name is Barry, it doesn't get much Whiter then that. What's your evidence that Trumped jumped to that conclusion based on his skin color solely?
You are saying that Barack Obama is white or close to jt... Based on his name not sounding black?
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:00 AM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016