Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Draisaitl: 77
Pastrnak: 70
Ehlers: 64
Nylander: 61
Arvidsson: 61
Reinhart: 47

Bennett with 26 points.....what the heck's going on here? I didn't even realize that he had such an awful year...never looked at his numbers. I was so high on the kid....but seriously.....what's going on here? He was central scouting ranked #1 at a point.....

I understand he's turning only 21 in June...but he was supposed to be the guy that put up the big numbers early on in his career....not guys like Nylander, Ehlers, Pastrnak etc.

Isn't he our highest draft pick as well?

Last edited by robaur; 04-21-2017 at 12:34 AM.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:35 AM   #282
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't worry about the numbers yet, he is still a kid and will be an important cog before long. If his "numbers" are still low in three years let's talk again.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:43 AM   #283
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's either a bust, a slow developer or maybe not going to be as good as originally thought.

Bust seems unlikely, so probably a combo of the other two.

He's Brayden Schenn, Nazem Kadri, Ryan Johansen.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:46 AM   #284
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
He's either a bust, a slow developer or maybe not going to be as good as originally thought.

Bust seems unlikely, so probably a combo of the other two.

He's Brayden Schenn, Nazem Kadri, Ryan Johansen.
Or Mark Schiefele or Jonathan Drouin or Jarome Iginla (who dropped 20 points from his rookie to sophomore season)...
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:49 AM   #285
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett basically was learning most of this season to become Backlund 2.0. A high quality two way shut down center. He improved a lot defensively over the course of the season. Still a work in progress, but there were significant leaps in his game over the course of the season.

You could see in the playoffs, when the games were important that he was utilizing his offensive abilities more than during the regular season.

Once he learns and gets comfortable playing that two way role, he'll be a dangerous threat at both ends of the ice as the offensive skill is still there.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 12:50 AM   #286
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Bennett basically was learning most of this season to become Backlund 2.0. A high quality two way shut down center. He improved a lot defensively over the course of the season. Still a work in progress, but there were significant leaps in his game over the course of the season.

You could see in the playoffs, when the games were important that he was utilizing his offensive abilities more than during the regular season.

Once he learns and gets comfortable playing that two way role, he'll be a dangerous threat at both ends of the ice as the offensive skill is still there.
Yup, his defensive game has grown leaps and bounds this season. Pair him Tkachuk and someone like Frolik next season, give him like 16 or so minutes a night and some PP time and he'll hit 50 points. He's only scratching the surface of the kind of player he'll be at age 23.

Last edited by Love; 04-21-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:08 AM   #287
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There's no question it was a bad year. Linemates, lack of powerplay time, bad luck... lots of factors but in the end he didn't get it done in the regular season at all production-wise.

His playoff performance gives us reason for optimism, but for him to produce at a level similar to Draisaitl or Pastrnak would require a stunning amount of development. Honestly not sure what my expectations are for him anymore.

Draisaitl: 18:53 avg TOI / 2:54 avg pp TOI / 172 shots / 16.9% Shooting pct / 27 PP points
Pastrnak: 17:58 / 2:37 / 262 / 13.0% / 24
Ehlers: 17:29 / 2:36 / 204 / 12.3% / 12
Arvidsson: 17:09 / 1:59 / 246 / 12.6% / 9
Nylander: 16:00 / 2:21 / 205 / 10.7% / 26
Reinhart: 17:13 / 2:55 / 178 / 9.6% / 17
Bennett: 14:59 / 1:14 / 122 / 10.7% / 4

He plays the least out of all those players and I think that he is the only one who primarily plays center. On the Flames that means he is stuck behind Backlund and Monahan playing third line minutes and with third line players. That hurts the production, especially compared to guys like Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Ehlers, Arvidsson, and Nylander who all play on the first line.

It looks like he did have some bad luck in the sense that his PDO or Save Percentage + Shooting Percentage number is way down at .967.

Overall, while opportunity is probably more limited for him given his situation on the Flames, he has also been unable to play his way up the line up. Not sure that next year will be all that different.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 01:31 AM   #288
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to see his numbers improve immediately, move him to the wing and play him in the top 6.

If you want to continue developing him as a Centre I expect you'll see slight improvement over the next couple years but I can't see him turning into more than an effective 2B/3 guy.

I would personally move him over to the wing and roll with Monahan/Backlund/Jankowski at C even though management is committed to keeping him at that position.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:11 AM   #289
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd suggest quality of linemates play a factor as well.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:16 AM   #290
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
There's no question it was a bad year. Linemates, lack of powerplay time, bad luck... lots of factors but in the end he didn't get it done in the regular season at all production-wise.

His playoff performance gives us reason for optimism, but for him to produce at a level similar to Draisaitl or Pastrnak would require a stunning amount of development. Honestly not sure what my expectations are for him anymore.

Draisaitl: 18:53 avg TOI / 2:54 avg pp TOI / 172 shots / 16.9% Shooting pct / 27 PP points

Pastrnak: 17:58 / 2:37 / 262 / 13.0% / 24

Ehlers: 17:29 / 2:36 / 204 / 12.3% / 12

Arvidsson: 17:09 / 1:59 / 246 / 12.6% / 9

Nylander: 16:00 / 2:21 / 205 / 10.7% / 26

Reinhart: 17:13 / 2:55 / 178 / 9.6% / 17

Bennett: 14:59 / 1:14 / 122 / 10.7% / 4

He plays the least out of all those players and I think that he is the only one who primarily plays center. On the Flames that means he is stuck behind Backlund and Monahan playing third line minutes and with third line players. That hurts the production, especially compared to guys like Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Ehlers, Arvidsson, and Nylander who all play on the first line.

It looks like he did have some bad luck in the sense that his PDO or Save Percentage + Shooting Percentage number is way down at .967.

Overall, while opportunity is probably more limited for him given his situation on the Flames, he has also been unable to play his way up the line up. Not sure that next year will be all that different.

What does save percentage have to do with his production????
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #291
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
If you want to see his numbers improve immediately, move him to the wing and play him in the top 6.

If you want to continue developing him as a Centre I expect you'll see slight improvement over the next couple years but I can't see him turning into more than an effective 2B/3 guy.

I would personally move him over to the wing and roll with Monahan/Backlund/Jankowski at C even though management is committed to keeping him at that position.
So is Bennett the number 3 LW behind Gaudreau and Tkachuk?

Rather keep him at C than move him to the third line wing or off wing top 6

Bennett has developed a lot slower than I thought when he burst on the scene in the 2015 playoffs but I have liked his game when he plays with an edge.

I still see a future line of Tkachuk-Bennett-Lazar working out
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:44 AM   #292
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not as down on him as before, as I felt he had a pretty strong playoffs, he was noticeable for most of that series (more than the shrimp on the top line anyway). I love the jam he plays with, and he seems to get up for the postseason. Really hoping he can find some consistency going forward, as the talent is clearly there the odd times he's noticeable during the season. Dude needs better line-mates, for one
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #293
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
What does save percentage have to do with his production????
Nothing... just one way of looking at his overall luck on the season. Saw it and was surprised by how low the number was. The 5 on 5 team shooting percentage was 7.55 (which would have been more relevant to post). For reference, Draisaitl's was 12.62%, Ehlers 10.56%, and Reinhart's was 5.13%.

So it looks like luck and linemates had something to do with it, as Reinhart's numbers are a bit lower too. However Reinhart made up for it on the powerplay.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #294
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, definitely the line mates thing.
Draisatl - mcdavid
Pasta - Bergeron, marchand
Arvidsson - Johansen, Forsberg
Reinhart - Eichel
Nylander - Matthews
Ehlers - scheifele, wheeler
Bennett - Chiasson, Brouwer, Versteeg, etc
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #295
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Draisaitl: 77
Pastrnak: 70
Ehlers: 64
Nylander: 61
Arvidsson: 61
Reinhart: 47
Well, that's a nice list of wingers, but Bennett is a centre, so I don't like the comparison - especially for a player this young with two years of professional hockey under his belt.

Also, yeah - as others have mentioned, look at Bennett's usage and linemates in comparison. Bennett is progressing nicely, and those looking to make absolute statements on what he is/what he's going to be are reaching, and for no reason. Just be patient and watch as he progresses.

This year? He was a 3rd line centre on a playoff team. It was his first year as a centre, first year under a new coach, and he had to haul Troy Brouwer's useless ass around the ice for the majority of the season. I'm excited to see what he can do next year - and I hope he gets some better linemates in the fall.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-21-2017 at 09:22 AM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #296
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

He looks like he'll be an NHL player. He can skate and hit and crash the net. Looked like a useful player in the playoffs.

But it's looking less and less likely that he'll be a big scorer at the NHL level. 7 points in his last 30 games this season. You pretty much get that many points just by taking a regular shift on any third line in the league.

Bennett hasn't shown he has the vision and the awareness to use his linemates effectively. It's worrying that he still tries to beat guys one-on-one with junior moves. Maybe he'll take a big step next season. I don't know. Right now it's looking like he may be more of a Mike Fisher than a Doug Gilmour.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 09:15 AM   #297
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its going to be a weird balance point, Bennett is probably going to get less money and a shorter term deal then I thought he would at the start of the year. Ferland is probably going to get more money and more term then I thought he would have gotten.

I'm not worried about Bennett at all, I liked what I saw in the playoffs, but this was a year of being completely snake bitten.

He does need to continue to work on his physical strength though, he just didn't look strong enough for the shovel and pick work.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #298
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
He looks like he'll be an NHL player. He can skate and hit and crash the net. Looked like a useful player in the playoffs.

But it's looking less and less likely that he'll be a big scorer at the NHL level. 7 points in his last 30 games this season. You pretty much get that many points just by taking a regular shift on any third line in the league.

Bennett hasn't shown he has the vision and the awareness to use his linemates effectively. It's worrying that he still tries to beat guys one-on-one with junior moves. Maybe he'll take a big step next season. I don't know. Right now it's looking like he may be more of a Mike Fisher than a Doug Gilmour.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #299
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

that took me a while to figure out.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #300
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
Yeah, definitely the line mates thing.
Draisatl - mcdavid
Pasta - Bergeron, marchand
Arvidsson - Johansen, Forsberg
Reinhart - Eichel
Nylander - Matthews
Ehlers - scheifele, wheeler
Bennett - Chiasson, Brouwer, Versteeg, etc
This right here. Put Bennett with any of the other guys and he gets you 50 points no problem. Heck put him with Mcdavid he would probably have the same number of points as Draisatl.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post: