Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Pavel Karnaukhov 109 54.50%
Rushan Rafikov 91 45.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #21
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames have gotten much better in the past few years, but there is still quite a list over the past decade of picks who from the day they were drafted had next to no chance of ever becoming NHL regulars. In addition to Keegan Kanzig: Patrick Sieloff, Ryley Grantham, Spencer Bennett, C.J. Severyn, Matt DeBlouw, Austin Carroll, Hunter Smith, Riley Bruce, Mitchell Mattson

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #22
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
The Flames have gotten much better in the past few years, but there is still quite a list over the past decade of picks who from the day they were drafted had next to no chance of ever becoming NHL regulars. In addition to Keegan Kanzig: Patrick Sieloff, Ryley Grantham, Spencer Bennett, C.J. Severyn, Matt DeBlouw, Austin Carroll, Hunter Smith, Riley Bruce, Mitchell Mattson
Sieloff had a good chance had he not had injury issues. I'd replace sieloff with Tim Harrison
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #23
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh for sure.

I just have more faith in the current management.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #24
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most of those guys were taken in the 5th round or later. They had next to no chance of ever becoming NHLers, but the same can be said of all the other players who were still available at the time.

Even with the guys you mentioned who were taken earlier, it's not like the Flames passed over a bunch of future hall of famers to take them. They were drafted about where they should have been relative to their peers.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #25
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mattson put up Age 17 USHS numbers similar to some pretty decent NHLers (Stepan, Killorn, Boyle, Lee, Bjugstad). Don't lump him in with guys like Pat Sieloff, Keegan Kanzig and Riley Bruce. He is a project prospect. Not a definite bust. Just a probable one who could be a home run.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #26
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Even though the controversy would be through the roof, I really think we should do the same exercise for Calgary Flames non-prospect players.

C'mon Bingo! Seriously, you won't even have to be too involved, just throw up one poll per day and let the excessive, emotional discussion begin!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #27
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Interestingly, Flames Nation is doing their prospect rankings and have Jankowski at 6th.

https://flamesnation.ca/2017/08/25/f...ark-jankowski/

I think Janko's a fine prospect but agree that he's overrated here. Being the most NHL ready does not necessarily mean you are the best prospect.

Then again, it's a big stretch to rate Kylington above him.

My guess for the final five is:

1. Valimaki
2. Parsons
3. Andersson
4. Fox
5. Kylington

Still think Valimaki is our best prospect by a pretty good margin.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:20 PM   #28
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably just support/influence for/from that clown that wrote the anti-Jankowski article last year.

He was the best player on the Heat last year. I am one of the biggest supporters of Kylington on here, but it is pretty tough to put Kylington ahead of Jankowski, when Jankowski was substantially better, on the same team. Yes, Kylington is younger. But you have to be carrying a prior bias to put him ahead of Jankowski, based on their play last year.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #29
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think "that clown" is Freeway. Stand up for yourself man.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #30
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I think "that clown" is Freeway. Stand up for yourself man.
I don't think it was Freeway was it? I think it was Wilson. But whatever - it was a terrible article, and I stand by the comment.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote