Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #81
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's not so much that he didn't play well that worries me. Most players endure streaks. What worries me is his reaction. The failure to adapt. The frustration. Yapping at refs. Slamming the door to the bench.

Teams have adjusted to Gaudreau, now he has to adjust. Not pout or throw tantrums. Adjust.

And we all laughed off his bad diet and lack of commitment to training. He's so talented, he doesn't need to do that stuff. Wrong. He needs to get fitter, faster, and stronger.
Fully agree. How many players in the league can get away with not being in tippy top shape?
There's parts of his game that can be improved with some disciplined hard work on and off the ice.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #82
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Brouwer, 2pts, -1 4gp
Gaudreau 2pts, -4, 4gp
Not sure Vegas will take Gaudreau unless we offer a pick.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #83
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
12 goalies in 4 years is a huge GM blunder, 3 of which are his years.
It's also nice that those guys were on expiring contracts though.

Maybe seeing as it's so hard for management to find a goalie who can play well here they should be looking for someone with a year or two left on their deal.

As much as I would like to see the Flames land a big time goalie I don't like the risk of giving big term to a guy who hasn't played a game here. That has the potential to cripple the team and essentially close the window of opportunity.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #84
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I defended Brouwer a lot during the regular season, and I too was disappointed with his 5 on 5 play during the playoffs (along with most of the rest of the team even strength).

But I thought he was quite effective on the PP. He only gets credit for 2 assists but caused 3 of them.

Link
https://gfycat.com/SecretWelltodoCopepod
The work he did on this Monahan PPG was fantastic. Gibson doesn't get a look at any of the passes causing him to overreact and completely leave his net.

Definitely wanted more 5 on 5. At least he had one of our biggest hits:

Link
https://gfycat.com/PettyQuerulousGoldfish

Last edited by AC; 07-17-2017 at 06:47 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #85
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Fully agree. How many players in the league can get away with not being in tippy top shape?
There's parts of his game that can be improved with some disciplined hard work on and off the ice.
My concern is that whining to the ref and throwing temper tantrums doesn't usually correlate with taking ownership of your flaws and mistakes.

Next year will be very very telling of what kind of player Gaudreau actually is. Will he come back in awesome shape with a rejuvenated spirit? or will he just be the same player we saw this year that fades when the going got tough?

Fingers crossed it's the former.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #86
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Not sure Vegas will take Gaudreau unless we offer a pick.
they wont take McDavid either by your logic
Old 04-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #87
Shummy
Draft Pick

Brouwer been my whipping boy all year. There were times during the season i forgot he even played for us. His contract is going to be a boat anchor for this team
Shummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #88
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can we all envision a world where one of Ferland or Chiasson is playing 19 minutes a night, every night, and the roster is one injury away from Garnet Hathaway getting automatic top 9 icetime as the first minor league callup?

Are we even having a conversation about the playoffs without Brouwer? I can freely admit his contract is awful, but that's what you get when you have to go out and buy top 9 right wingers.

Watch the Flames do it AGAIN this summer for a top line RW spot because there is no choice but to try to field a competitive team when the team's scorers are prime aged for scoring. Tomas Tatar, Nino Niedereiter, TJ Oshie, Patrick Eaves. Whoever it is is going to get PAID.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #89
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, so what position is that on the list, honourable mention? Worse than Byron?

In my opinion the worst, most crippling long term move he's made was signing giordano, but I don't think many will agree with me on that so I'm trying to gauge what everyone feels is so awful about treliving that he somehow doesn't look freakin' incredible when compared with the previous decade of Flames managers in a cap era.
I agree!!!
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #90
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I too am super concerned about Gio's contract.

Wasn't this only the FIRST year of it?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #91
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
that's really going out of your way to find an excuse for Johnny.
He is paid to be a front line player that produces. Period.
He is paid to drive the offense on that line.
He wasn't good enough. Not by a long shot.
No need to give him excuses. He just needs to be better.
I'm just saying that the reality is he's 5'9 and 150lbs, and that reality needs to be accounted for.

You can say "be better" all you want, but against the Ducks, what you're really saying isn't "be better" it's "be bigger" and that's an impossibility. Like it or not, the Ducks are full of players who are fast enough to keep up with him, big enough to do a lot of damage and skilled enough be able to rush him without looking like a chump after. Not to mention good enough at getting away with all the slashing, facewashing, cross-checking extra stuff.

Our offensive catalyst is the smallest guy in the league. It just is what it is, and we can either leave him out there on his own against teams like the Ducks, and admonish him for not being big enough to fight through it, or we can make adjustments and find other ways to get him the room he needs.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #92
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What does Gaudreau or Gio's contract have to do with Brouwer?

This is the problem with Flash Walken. Why is a thread about Brouwer open season to whine about an array of topics that have nothing to do with the thread?
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #93
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
What does Gaudreau or Gio's contract have to do with Brouwer?

This is the problem with Flash Walken. Why is a thread about Brouwer open season to whine about an array of topics that have nothing to do with the thread?
What does Flash Walken have to do with Brouwer?

This is the problem with GoJetsGo. Why is a thread about Brouwer open season to whine about an array of topics that have nothing to do with the thread?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #94
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
12 goalies in 4 years is a huge GM blunder, 3 of which are his years.
Many of those goalies were promising prospects within our own system that didn't work out. Every team has a half dozen of so of those guys, and need to give them a shot to see if they have NHL potential.

Ideally, you want your home grown guy to step up on a cost controlled contract and be the number one. That happens rarely though. And unfortunately the process involves a lot of trial and error. It's hardly a GM blunder.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:59 PM   #95
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's not so much that he didn't play well that worries me. Most players endure streaks. What worries me is his reaction. The failure to adapt. The frustration. Yapping at refs. Slamming the door to the bench.

Teams have adjusted to Gaudreau, now he has to adjust. Not pout or throw tantrums. Adjust.

And we all laughed off his bad diet and lack of commitment to training. He's so talented, he doesn't need to do that stuff. Wrong. He needs to get fitter, faster, and stronger.
I agree with what you are saying but putting things into perspective he still led the team in scoring despite having what we all can agree on as a disappointing season. To me a 61 season in this day and age is still a very good low bar and with more commitment to diet and training I feel the sky's the limit. That said he seemed pretty unhappy an awful lot this season and I wonder if a trade request is quietly tabled in the offseason. Just seems to me at least like a kid who's heart is out east. I would tread very carefully here as he's still the team's best forward and most marketable player but I wouldn't be opposed to trading him if the right deal (not Taylor Hall) came around.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #96
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, so what position is that on the list, honourable mention? Worse than Byron?

In my opinion the worst, most crippling long term move he's made was signing giordano, but I don't think many will agree with me on that so I'm trying to gauge what everyone feels is so awful about treliving that he somehow doesn't look freakin' incredible when compared with the previous decade of Flames managers in a cap era.
I would put it at the top of the list by a mile. Signing Raymond just cost money. Same with Brouwer. Losing Byron sucks but it's not like we're advancing to Round 2 if we still had him. At best, you could argue those moves might have cost us a couple games during the season. The goalie issue crippled us last year and it cost us a fighting chance in the playoffs this year. If we don't solve it soon, we'll keep burning through those ELC years from our young guys.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #97
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Troy Brouwer has never been a good playoff performer. He had one hot streak last season which was bound to happen at some point due to the sheer amount of games he has played in the postseason.

Prior to his 13 points with the blues last season ;

79 games played
7 goals
12 assists
19 points
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #98
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That said he seemed pretty unhappy an awful lot this season and I wonder if a trade request is quietly tabled in the offseason. Just seems to me at least like a kid who's heart is out east. I would tread very carefully here as he's still the team's best forward and most marketable player but I wouldn't be opposed to trading him if the right deal (not Taylor Hall) came around.
Yeah, he sure didn't seem as happy this season as last. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he preferred to play out East. If the Flames did go that way (and I'm not suggesting they should, or that Gaudreau would request a trade, just speculating) one good thing is that he's an attractive player to an American market. Especially in the NE.

I threw this out in another thread, but I could see a deal with Gaudreau and Giroux as the main pieces. The Flyers are looking to re-tool, and Gaudreau is a local boy who would make parting with their star player digestible. For his part, Giroux is a better all-around player than Gaudreau. The problem is the five year age difference.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #99
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The best way to get rid of a bad contract nowadays is to trade it to Phoenix.

They would be looking to replace Pronger and Savard as they need to have a certain amount of deadweight to ensure that they stay terrible.

I think Brouwer being selected by Vegas is a pipedream.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Yamoto For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #100
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Can we all envision a world where one of Ferland or Chiasson is playing 19 minutes a night, every night, and the roster is one injury away from Garnet Hathaway getting automatic top 9 icetime as the first minor league callup?

Are we even having a conversation about the playoffs without Brouwer? I can freely admit his contract is awful, but that's what you get when you have to go out and buy top 9 right wingers.

Watch the Flames do it AGAIN this summer for a top line RW spot because there is no choice but to try to field a competitive team when the team's scorers are prime aged for scoring. Tomas Tatar, Nino Niedereiter, TJ Oshie, Patrick Eaves. Whoever it is is going to get PAID.
This is the inability of the Flames to draft and develop. It should've been at least one of those first rounders in Poirer, Klimchuck, Jankowski or Baertchi who developed into a top 6 winger for the Flames, rather than free agents. I guess they got lucky with Gaudreau and Ferland as late round gems, but still, you SHOULD get a few late round gems every now and then regardless.

Nevertheless, Ferland is a clear upgrade over Brouwer and then you have Frolik. So is Chiasson ideal for the 3rd line? No, but remember that Brouwer played with Stajan a few times so he's not exactly ideal either.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote