Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #1581
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the easiest and shortest way to fly to Windsor, ON from YYC?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #1582
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

westjet direct flight
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2017, 08:18 PM   #1583
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The direct to Windsor is seasonal and ends the 3rd week of October.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #1584
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So someone at the airport actually thought this was a good idea?

Calgary airport to return accessible parking spots after botched marketing campaign
http://www.cbc.ca/1.4255651
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nsd1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #1585
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the directors of that airport sit around during monthly meetings and go "What does no other airport do that we should be doing?"

Then they brainstorm and come up with things like no water fountains, no seating room by the gates, Lexus only parking, and no priority lanes for business class or trusted travelers.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #1586
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
So someone at the airport actually thought this was a good idea?

Calgary airport to return accessible parking spots after botched marketing campaign
http://www.cbc.ca/1.4255651
Meh. I don't really care and actually think its a great idea for the Airport to make some money.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #1587
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Then they brainstorm and come up with things like no water fountains, no seating room by the gates, Lexus only parking, and no priority lanes for business class or trusted travelers.
Lexus signed an identical deal with YEG for the parking last year. The call-to-gate thing has been beat to death.... it is implement at other airports but YYC implementation was botched. Water fountains... meh. They fixed it. Priority will be fixed, too.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #1588
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Advertising money, fine, but that is too gimmicky. Would they really ticket/tow a non Lexus car from those spots? I'd be pissed.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #1589
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I wonder if the directors of that airport sit around during monthly meetings and go "What does no other airport do that we should be doing?"

If it's any consolation, YYC is probably no worse than most Canadian airport authorities. Unfortunately they're all a mess. The liberals privatized airport operations in 1994, and overall the only people who have benefitted are the airport authorities themselves.

The liberal transport minister that oversaw implementation, Doug Young, was later quoted as saying it was the worst decision of his career and that he regretted its implementation.

So the good news is that YYC really isn't worse than other major Canadian airports. The bad news.....
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #1590
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
If it's any consolation, YYC is probably no worse than most Canadian airport authorities. Unfortunately they're all a mess. The liberals privatized airport operations in 1994, and overall the only people who have benefitted are the airport authorities themselves.

The liberal transport minister that oversaw implementation, Doug Young, was later quoted as saying it was the worst decision of his career and that he regretted its implementation.

So the good news is that YYC really isn't worse than other major Canadian airports. The bad news.....
The Liberal plan to sell them and turn them into for profit businesses is worse than what we have now.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #1591
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard about it on the radio and thought they said Lexus, but figured i'd misheard and that it was Nexus parking.

Lexus only parking is stupid.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:16 PM   #1592
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
I flew to Halifax a couple weeks ago and was selected for secondary screening*. I had to take my e-reader (original Kobo) out of its case.

*secondary screening was great. It allowed my to bypass the long regular security line and go into the priority line after the screening (which took all of 2 minutes). I'm guessing secondary screen probably saved me at least 20 minutes.

That's funny. We bought a couple of packages of cheese from the Amsterdam airport and figured we should declare that we have some dairy products on our declaration form. We got taken out of this long line and went directly to a customs officer who asked about the cheese and let us go on our way. Saved us a bunch of time too. I think from now on we will just bring the pretzels off the plane with us so we can skip the regular line to get cleared through customs.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #1593
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That's funny. We bought a couple of packages of cheese from the Amsterdam airport and figured we should declare that we have some dairy products on our declaration form. We got taken out of this long line and went directly to a customs officer who asked about the cheese and let us go on our way. Saved us a bunch of time too. I think from now on we will just bring the pretzels off the plane with us so we can skip the regular line to get cleared through customs.
I always claim my granola bars. They ask "what type of food do you have, you checked this off?" It tricks them into thinking you are overly honest, and you go right through. Not sure it is worth it with automation now though.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:40 PM   #1594
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
The Liberal plan to sell them and turn them into for profit businesses is worse than what we have now.
Yep the only thing worse than a public monopoly is a private one.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:41 AM   #1595
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Advertising money, fine, but that is too gimmicky. Would they really ticket/tow a non Lexus car from those spots? I'd be pissed.
No.

I'm assuming the YYC deal was the same as the Lexus deal in Edmonton, and how it worked there is that the stalls would be treated as completely normal stalls in terms of ticketing, length of stay, or whatever rule was being enforced.

If Lexus personnel were unhappy with the number of non-Lexus vehicles that were parking there, then it was up to them to enforce it.

In general, any revenue stream for the airport that has pretty much zero impact on the majority of people is a good one. Relocating disabled stalls is a separate issue, but fundamentally I support YYC seeking alternate revenue such as this, as gimmicky as it is.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:26 AM   #1596
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Lexus signed an identical deal with YEG for the parking last year. The call-to-gate thing has been beat to death.... it is implement at other airports but YYC implementation was botched. Water fountains... meh. They fixed it. Priority will be fixed, too.
Problem wasn't the deal with Lexus, that's more than fine. Edmonton didn't use existing handicap stalls to turn into Lexus stalls and put the handicap stalls behind the Lexus ones like Calgary did.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #1597
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
No.

I'm assuming the YYC deal was the same as the Lexus deal in Edmonton, and how it worked there is that the stalls would be treated as completely normal stalls in terms of ticketing, length of stay, or whatever rule was being enforced.

If Lexus personnel were unhappy with the number of non-Lexus vehicles that were parking there, then it was up to them to enforce it.

In general, any revenue stream for the airport that has pretty much zero impact on the majority of people is a good one. Relocating disabled stalls is a separate issue, but fundamentally I support YYC seeking alternate revenue such as this, as gimmicky as it is.
But what's the end game?

Sure, when the first player gets the idea and implements it, it is cute and novel. But then what? So Acura and GM decide they need to do this as well for their customers? Then Mercedes, BMW and Audi join in?

Then what? We have a checkerboard parking lot and no one knows where to park?

There is no logical progression to an idea like this. While it was a very creative idea by Lexus, it was beyond stupid for the airport to have ever implemented it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #1598
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
But what's the end game?

Sure, when the first player gets the idea and implements it, it is cute and novel. But then what? So Acura and GM decide they need to do this as well for their customers? Then Mercedes, BMW and Audi join in?

Then what? We have a checkerboard parking lot and no one knows where to park?

There is no logical progression to an idea like this. While it was a very creative idea by Lexus, it was beyond stupid for the airport to have ever implemented it.
A campaign like this would surely be an exclusive thing (both the advertiser and the airport authority wouldn't want this to be commonplace, thus losing the impact). The issue really is the accessible spots being taken away - the optics are terrible. If it wasn't for that, Lexus and YYC would have their little transaction and none of us would know or care about it.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #1599
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ideally they would have taken the choicest non-accessible-only parking spots and utilized those, and maybe only as a "if you park a Lexus here, it's free (Lexus pays a premium plus whatever minutely parking rate), otherwise you have to pay".

And that only took 30 seconds for me to come up with.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #1600
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Ideally they would have taken the choicest non-accessible-only parking spots and utilized those, and maybe only as a "if you park a Lexus here, it's free (Lexus pays a premium plus whatever minutely parking rate), otherwise you have to pay".

And that only took 30 seconds for me to come up with.
Yeah, that would be the only way that it could actually work and be enforceable. Even those "Parking for pregnant women and parents with young children" spots that some places have are completely unenforceable.

I believe I've seen sponsorship deals like that with valet parking at some places in the States. If you valet park your Lexus (or other sponsoring luxury brand), it's free. Otherwise, you pay the regular valet rate.

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc