Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 04-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #41
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
How soon till Wideman sues the Flames and NHL for letting him back to play that night after taking shot to the head.
Pre Henderson incident.
I feel like this is the next logical step, similar to Bertuzzi's suit against Crawford.

I wonder if trainers have insurance liability coverage with the team?

Quote:
The former Vancouver Canucks head coach, who now works as a broadcaster for TSN, is no longer personally liable for any damages in Steve Moore’s $38-million lawsuit against Todd Bertuzzi and the company that owns the Canucks. Bertuzzi dropped his third-party lawsuit against Crawford, who was his coach in March, 2004 when Bertuzzi ended Moore’s NHL career with an attack that left him with broken vertebrae and a concussion.

Bertuzzi’s lawyer, Geoffrey Adair, confirmed Thursday that the lawsuit against Crawford was dropped. He declined to make any further comment. Tim Danson, Moore’s lawyer, also declined to comment.

Moore is suing Bertuzzi and the Canucks for $38-million in damages for the lost income from the premature end of his hockey career. Crawford is not named in the claim. That lawsuit is scheduled for trial in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in either September or October. If Bertuzzi, 36, who currently plays for the Detroit Red Wings, is still an active player the lawsuit will go to trial on Sept. 24, before the NHL season starts. If he is retired, the trial will begin Oct. 22.

While Crawford was covered by the Canucks’ insurance policy for damages in the lawsuit, he was still partially exposed because the policy has a limit of $10-million plus another $1-million for legal fees. If a court award exceeded those amounts, Crawford could have been held liable for a share of the damages.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:04 PM   #42
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
He does deserve compensation, but 10 million seems like he is aiming for the jackpot. Anyone with expertise in these type of situations know how he could've came up with this number?
Looks like he took his post NHL career earning potential and multiplied it by 100.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #43
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
you assume some risk when you step on the ice

maybe he should have chose another profession
In a profession where it clearly states a player is strictly forbidden to purposely strike an official then he absolutely has grounds for this action. Henderson determined it was on purpose, and it's now up to the system to determine that.

Personally, I'm still of the belief that in the moment Wideman meant to do it. Lapse of judgement, but he nailed him.

Filing against the Flames I'm less on board with.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #44
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is interesting because this is no longer the court of the NHL, but now a court of law. Henderson might be able to prove loss, and cause of loss, but he can't prove Wideman being responsible.

The NHL might pretend concussions arent caused by hockey and don't affect cognitive functions, but I have a hard time believing a judge comes to that conclusion, especially since this incident is well documented and underwent a lot of medical analysis.

The negative consequence is that Henderson loses and the referee brethren takes it out on the Flames
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #45
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a fool to think that this was over.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough spot for the Flames as if they fight this tooth and nail does the Wideman effect stick with the Flames? I have to imagine even if he wasn't a popular guy amongst his peers that the officiating community is pulling for him in this suit.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #47
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Maybe, yeah. I can't recall the last time a player was sued for ending someone's career, so why would they purchase insurance for it? Maybe it's an all-encompassing sort of coverage. The only good thing about this sort of suit is that we get a glimpse into the inner-workings of the NHL.
Moore is rumoured to have received $22 million of the $68 he was asking for, but the NHL paid the bulk. The NHL isn't named in this, and Moore's career would have been longer. However he had more implied risk (I'm guessing) as a player. He also asked for a huge chunk of post career earnings since his issues prevented him from getting a good job even with a Harvard degree.

Numbers and variances in circumstances aside, the end number in this case following the percentage of the original number might be not far off. 10 mil suit, ends up with 2.5. Maybe?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #48
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, he is almost 49. I guess because of this he can't get that job would pay him 625k a year. Probably 4 times what he was making while a linesman (if he was at the top end for a linesman)
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #49
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
How soon till Wideman sues the Flames and NHL for letting him back to play that night after taking shot to the head.
Pre Henderson incident.
Yeah, will be interesting to see how the NHLPA positions itself with regards to this. They should be stepping up to defend Wideman.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #50
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NHL will pay to make this go away.

A lawsuit might bring actual change to the league and how it protects its participants - we would not want that. Blood sells.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #51
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Yeah, will be interesting to see how the NHLPA positions itself with regards to this. They should be stepping up to defend Wideman.
Maybe not if there is a concussion class action against the league.

I think other posters are right, NHLPA will position this as it was the team's fault for letting Wideman continue playing with a concussion.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #52
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
In a profession where it clearly states a player is strictly forbidden to purposely strike an official then he absolutely has grounds for this action. Henderson determined it was on purpose, and it's now up to the system to determine that.

Personally, I'm still of the belief that in the moment Wideman meant to do it. Lapse of judgement, but he nailed him.

Filing against the Flames I'm less on board with.
Right but it was Hendersons job to enforce the rules that he became a victim of. Had Henderson stopped the play when Wideman was injured or called a penalty to the hit against Wideman, Wideman wouldn't have had to skate to the bench confused and concussed.

I'm not saying anyone is at fault, but sometimes these things just suck and there's really no recourse or justice.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #53
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
its pretty amazing that he was able to get up and drop the puck 30 seconds later and finish the game with all those injuries

what a trooper
When I got into a pretty severe car accident and broke my neck me and my friends tried to push the van over to get our friend out of from under it. I wasn't in traction until 2 weeks later.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #54
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post

I think other posters are right, NHLPA will position this as it was the team's fault for letting Wideman continue playing with a concussion.
Well they won't win because Wideman hadn't been back on the bench for the Flames to test him before Henderson was hit.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #55
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I would expect this to be status quo even after this law suit comes to a decision/settlement:

CTV - Chris Epp‏Verified account @CTVchrisepp
Just heard back from the #flames, they say they will not comment on the lawsuit filed against them and Dennis Wideman.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #56
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Right but it was Hendersons job to enforce the rules that he became a victim of. Had Henderson stopped the play when Wideman was injured or called a penalty to the hit against Wideman, Wideman wouldn't have had to skate to the bench confused and concussed.

I'm not saying anyone is at fault, but sometimes these things just suck and there's really no recourse or justice.
I'm pretty sure it's the responsibility of the Referee, not the linesman, to make the judgement of a penalty and blow the play dead in the event of an injury.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #57
eyipyip
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Gradreau is going to get a few billions dollars if he sues for every slash he gets this season
eyipyip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eyipyip For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #58
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They'll settle for a lot less then this. This thing just looks really good in the paper and the lawyers will eat this up and make bank.

I don't doubt that Henderson was injured, but this list makes me wonder if Wideman waited outside at the end of the game and shot him with a bazooka.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #59
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder why he didn't name the NHL and the PA in the lawsuit. Isn't that kind of typical to name everyone involved and let the court decide who's at fault for what?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #60
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
When I got into a pretty severe car accident and broke my neck me and my friends tried to push the van over to get our friend out of from under it. I wasn't in traction until 2 weeks later.
he wasn't in a car accident and didn't break his neck

sorry but I have many doubts...he was knocked over by a guy gliding to the bench.

Your story is pretty amazing, I imagine the adrenaline of trying to save someones life was crazy. But I think this is a totally different situation.

He didn't even go talk to the medical staff