Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 09:03 AM   #8601
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post
how come? based on a good pre-season like Yamamoto?
No, based on 4 years of progression in college then continuing that in the AHL last year.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #8602
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
No, based on 4 years of progression in college then continuing that in the AHL last year.
lol, the fact you had to even explain that is funny..
Old 09-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #8603
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Jarmo in Columbus knew something the rest of the scouts didn't when he passed on Puljujarvi. He has been a huge disappointment and by all accounts is being outplayed by Yamamoto in the preseason.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #8604
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
String a few wins together in the pre-season, and look who's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 09-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #8605
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

There are 31 teams in the NHL and only one of them has such a pronounced inferiority complex that they feel it necessary to track league-wide pre-season scoring leaders, and pre-season standings, complete with points, GF/GA, home and road records.

Here's a hint: It's not Vegas.

If anyone had any doubts about how important the Pre-Season Championship is to the Oilers, one only need look at their Stats Menu banner:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-27-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #8606
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

If anyone had any doubts about how important the Pre-Season Championship is to the Oilers, one only need look at their Stats Menu banner:
[/IMG]
the media coverage in this town is way over the top...and the oilers organization constantly feeds that machine.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #8607
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was kinda cool to see Talbot's numbers being weak in the preseason so far though..
Old 09-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #8608
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
It was kinda cool to see Talbot's numbers being weak in the preseason so far though..
I've tried to have realistic conversations about last season with oilers fans and all I get is blank stares. they genuinely believe that what happened last season will happen again.

- no injuries of note
- multiple players having career years
- insane goaltending stats

it's going to be glorious when all that doesn't happen

Old 09-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #8609
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
I've tried to have realistic conversations about last season with oilers fans and all I get is blank stares.
Unless you say, "Congratulations on winning the cup", it's not realistic to Oilers fans.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #8610
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
I've tried to have realistic conversations about last season with oilers fans and all I get is blank stares. they genuinely believe that what happened last season will happen again.

- no injuries of note
- multiple players having career years
- insane goaltending stats

it's going to be glorious when all that doesn't happen
Well, the best part is they have the hype of the pre-season getting their hopes up as well. Can't wait for the balloon to burst.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #8611
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
There are 31 teams in the NHL and only one of them has such a pronounced inferiority complex that they feel it necessary to track league-wide pre-season scoring leaders, and pre-season standings, complete with points, GF/GA, home and road records.

Here's a hint: It's not Vegas.

Lmao half expected this. That's so Oilers.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:05 PM   #8612
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
how come? based on a good pre-season like Yamamoto?

did you forget RNH finished tied for the lead in rookie points and finished 2nd in Calder trophy voting?
he was ready for the NHL at 18 and proved it

and its time to admit Yak is simply a bust with no hockey IQ...hence why the scouting staff didn't want to take him, but Katz did

getting a 3rd rounder for him isn't "terrible" at all...I'd have given him away for free
Yamamoto is a player coming off of JUST being drafted -- Janko is by no means a sure thing but if you look at how long we have seasoned him, how he has produced and won at many levels and how he did very well as a rookie in a hard scoring league I think to me that seems to be a good reason to believe that he's poised to jump into the NHL this year. He's ALOT closer then Yamamoto -- terrible comparison by you.

The argument isn't about his rookie season with RNH -- I said as much that he had a productive first year but has since regressed year over year and has put up generally some mediocre #'s for a 1st overall talent -- you disagree?

I don't know about you but if a 1st overall (one which we have never had) turned into a 3rd round pick and a nobody after 4 or so years I would be very disappointed and would definitely call that a terrible return on the original piece (1st overall) But hey! McDavid McDavid, Connor, Connor McDavid right?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #8613
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah Janko is a lot more of a proven prospect at this point. He's been well seasoned, won at the college level, and been a top player at the AHL level. It's not even really debatable.

There's kids every year that pot a few goals in a preseason. Doesn't mean they're ready for 82 real games when the compete level goes up another notch.

Oiler fans wouldn't really know that though.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:55 PM   #8614
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys should go a little easier on Oil Stain, one of the better posters from that fanbase IMO. At least he makes reasonable arguements whether you agree or not.

In other news, it appears the goldfish are attacking edmonton. They are building a beachhead to the North before invading.
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...retention-pond

No good
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #8615
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Lmao half expected this. That's so Oilers.
Needs a Corsi breakdown.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #8616
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
You guys should go a little easier on Oil Stain, one of the better posters from that fanbase IMO. At least he makes reasonable arguements whether you agree or not.
He really isn't, and he really doesn't.

What he is good at is twisting facts or arguments every so slightly to suit his needs. Saying 22nd overall Kailer Yamamoto was a "top draft pick" when comparing the Flames moving 6th overall and 4th overall Tkackuk into the NHL right away was the same. Each post is filled with these little twists.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:18 PM   #8617
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
He really isn't, and he really doesn't.

What he is good at is twisting facts or arguments every so slightly to suit his needs. Saying 22nd overall Kailer Yamamoto was a "top draft pick" when comparing the Flames moving 6th overall and 4th overall Tkackuk into the NHL right away was the same. Each post is filled with these little twists.
I didn't say Yamamoto was a top draft pick. You did, and then decided to attribute those words to me and argue against it.

I said Calgary has done the same with their top draft picks as Edmonton has. Calgary received three picks 6th or higher and all those picks played in the NHL their first season.

It's the same with the Oilers. The lowest pick they kept in the NHL was Gagner. Nurse at 7th went back. Anyone lower than that went back. If the Oilers keep Yamamoto up it would be an exception.

So when it comes to picks 6th and higher, both organizations have plotted roughly the same course.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:31 PM   #8618
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

The flames did send Bennett back after he recovered fromhis shoulder surgery and he rejoined after Kingston was eleminated. So yeah he played and burned a year, but those were playoff games that took him over the 10 game mark. So really only Monahan and Tkachuk made the team out of camp.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:34 PM   #8619
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I didn't say Yamamoto was a top draft pick. You did, and then decided to attribute those words to me and argue against it.

I said Calgary has done the same with their top draft picks as Edmonton has. Calgary received three picks 6th or higher and all those picks played in the NHL their first season.

It's the same with the Oilers. The lowest pick they kept in the NHL was Gagner. Nurse at 7th went back. Anyone lower than that went back. If the Oilers keep Yamamoto up it would be an exception.

So when it comes to picks 6th and higher, both organizations have plotted roughly the same course.
But you have to admit how they managed Leon was curious. Maybe it has paid off but they burned a year for no reason whatsoever.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:38 PM   #8620
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The oilers have an ugly colour scheme.
Even actual oil looks more beautiful.
Closed Thread