Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #421
waner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am not hating this season as much as others on here seem to be although if we are going to get more abel this year I could easily head that way. There was already way too much Abel in that episode for a whole season. Hopefully they move away from him as he is an awful actor (hate to go after a kid but doubt he is reading), awful character and brings nothing to the show. I don't know why TV writers seem to get fixated on these bit characters and often bring them into the show way more than they should.

If this "revelation" is at all used for jax to go after Gemma then it will be pretty tough to swallow and a really stupid plot line. There is no reason to believe Abel as he already has shown himself to be a liar when it comes to Gemma and he has no reason to know what happened. If you already ignored the fact that it made no sense for Lin to kill Tara in the first place and even less sense to bring the goon who did it (when he has 100 other goons at his disposal) to a party where he could be recognized then why listen to the 4 year old liar?
waner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #422
Guest1

I think you should give the kid a break. Remember: he's the kid of a junkie. There's likely to be some odd stuff going on in that kids head. To have a 5 year old hold a face that is devoid of emotion for that long, is pretty good acting. My kid couldn't do it... she'd be giggling after 5 seconds.

And the opening montage: I could stare at Jax's butt all day long!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #423
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap, Charlie Hunnam is hot. His scene in the opening is the only one I appreciated. Everything else was unnecessary.

The reveal sucked and I still maintain that the Abel kid is terrible. I know he's a child, but geez. Between the monotonous voice and blank stares, you could get better acting from a ventriloquist doll.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #424
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It started with the worst opening to an episode in TV history. It ended with maybe the worst reveal in TV history. Historic night for Sons of Anarchy. That was painful and funny in not the way they wanted.
I found those two scenes decidedly less painful than all the scenes with the excruciating dialogue between the various lovers.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 11:44 AM   #425
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It started with the worst opening to an episode in TV history. It ended with maybe the worst reveal in TV history. Historic night for Sons of Anarchy. That was painful and funny in not the way they wanted.
This. So awkward.
The first 15 minutes or so after that was so drawn out and boring.
Pretty weak episode overall, minus the white on black scene in the country.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #426
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

The problem with the show is the more you reflect and think about it, the less it makes sense.

At this point, with 3 episodes left, all I can hope for is it is not awful.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #427
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

tough crowd. I thought the episode was pretty good, surely one of the best ones this season. The reveal was not disappointing to me at all because I thought it was done pretty neatly. Abel effectively did what his father did last episode (as in trying to get somebody in trouble with the police for something he/she had nothing to do with), and he tried to do that in the same way that Tara did (blaming Gemma for an injury that she had nothing to do with) last season ... I thought that was an interesting concept and the build up to the reveal was nicely done too (sometimes I forget that Charlie Hunnam can actually be a decent actor). Connecting those storylines actually made sense for a change and in a disappointing season, I'll take that. I'm just glad that Jax finally knows the truth and that's what matters most to me. It's a necessary step with only 3 episodes to go and I thought they could have handled the reveal A LOT worse.

I thought the episode was way too long though, all those discussions between the "lovers" were unnecessarily long and the Tulley/Juice thing was just lazy. I was almost disappointed that they already took out Moses, he was by the far the most interesting "new" character and actually made for a serious antagonist. Who's left now for a big showdown? Marks is in prison. Nero is set to ride into the sunset. Jarry is a joke compared to Hale and Roosevelt. Alvarez is about to take over Diosa and the Niners are in bed with the Sons anyway. Soooo ... Tully?! Maybe they have to bring back Zobelle

oh, and the hate on the Abel kid in this thread is ridiculous. Even if we ignore the fact that the "actor" is, what, 5 years or so, let's not forget he's portraying a junkie's kid (which has obviously influenced his health) who is growing up in the most unhealthy environment possible for a kid, filled with death and violence. What would you expect from a kid in that situation?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #428
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As I've said before I just want this to be over! However, this was the best episode so far this season IMO.

With regard to Abel, yeah the acting is cringe worthy and if it were me that cast him I would be embarrassed, but whatever, I don't think this show requires a great deal of "acting muscle".

Also- I noticed during the closing credits that Abel is played by identical twins (Evan and Ryder Londo) which will be interesting when the time comes to hand out Emmy awards!!
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #429
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

When casting children, usually the most important thing is to get kids who will take direction and sit still and keep quiet during shooting.

The Londo brothers have been playing Abel for three seasons now, and he was mostly a background character for most of that time. They were cast when they were 3 or 4 years old, so it's not really surprising that they're not great at carrying heavy dramatic scenes. They're still only 5 or 6.

Also, kids in these types of roles are usually kept away from the more extreme stuff on the show, so it's tough to know what the kids are actually seeing on the set and reacting to.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #430
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I am not a parent, but it seemed like maybe that was not the right time to tell Abel that his real mother was Wendy. The kid had just taken a fork to his arm, and tried to blame it on his grandmother. He's clearly got some stuff to work through. Would that be the best time to throw another log on the fire in the form of "that chick wasn't your real mother, this is your real mother. Surprise!"

I thought that Abel was going to draw something and that Jax would interpret Gemma killed Tara from that. I also thought Wayne would play a role in the unraveling. He still could, but I thought he would figure things out and then point Jax in the right direction or maybe confirm Abel's story.

It looked like Jax believed Abel when he said it, but like someone said above, this kid has already proven his dislike of Gemma. Plus kids say weird stuff all the time. Would be really easy for them to write it off. It will be interesting to see what Jax does with this.

They are really heaping on the relationship crap this season. I don't care about any of these relationships. I don't. There is no part of me that cares. Although, I will say I was saddened to see Rat cheat on the babysitter with a hooker.

I need to see Jary die. I really do. I just cannot stand anything about her. Every ten seconds she's gotta be analyzing the relationship with Chibs. She seems to need him to constantly qualify every bit of their interactions. God, is she dumb? I just hate her so much. So entirely useless.

The Juice stuff... I don't know. Seemed like it wasn't entirely necessary. I am not sure if we are supposed to feel for Juice now or what. I really don't.

Tig and Venus -- I like Venus. I really do. It is actually kind of nice to have a transsexual character on the show that actually has some depth and isn't totally a one dimensional stereotype.

The eyeball thing, sweet Jesus, that was insane. Ugh. I liked that whole scene though. When Jax and the guys came up through the storm cellar, that was some badassery.

The opening was bizarre, but kind of funny. I can't say that I liked it, but it was campy.

I guess they have succeeded in leaving us guessing. I really don't know where this goes from here. I really don't.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:01 PM   #431
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like the direction they went with the reveal and I thought it was executed well. Very plausible.

Great episode.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #432
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Link to preview for next week
http://youtu.be/zVYpE6rxi7o
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #433
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the people complaining about the open. The sex was about feeling something because everyone feels dead inside and it's starting to really take its toll on the club and on everyone else involved. From the guilt, the loss and the stress, everyone is starting to break down. Sex is a way to feel something. That was all it was about. Jax crying in the end is a major tell.

For everyone wondering who the real enemy is. We've been watching him materialize from the beginning of the show.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #434
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hated the Venus and Tig declaring love scene. It was like 8 minutes long, just ridiculous and unnecessary. Brutal.

And as much as I didn't want Abel to be the one to get Jax's mind on Gemma, I thought it turned out okay. The scene was as obvious as it gets, but Jax's facial reaction to Abel's question was what made that scene. I've watched it a few times now and it's good every time.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:08 AM   #435
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Hated the Venus and Tig declaring love scene. It was like 8 minutes long, just ridiculous and unnecessary. Brutal.
Every second Walton Goggins is on screen is a win for any series. I also thought it really helped to round out Tig's character into something other than a twisted, maniacal, pervert. Coates' character is undoubtedly one of the more interesting personalities on the show, and the exploration on the depths of that character have been too few and far between.

I thought it was pretty impressive how the writers and actors were able to convincingly transform their relationship from a comedic sideshow into something meaningful that really gave more substance to a long-standing character.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 11-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #436
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved Marilyn Manson reading a love story to Juice.

You would have to think now that Juice is going to flip or something. He has knowledge that the cops want and I can't imagine that he likes being prison raped daily by a white supremacist (jelly or no jelly).

As for the rest of the episode, I thought it was pretty good. I am happy with the reveal, but I hope that Jax doesn't take it as gospel. Something else still needs to happen to really drive it home I think.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:30 AM   #437
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another great recap from the IMDB guy

Spoiler!
Old 11-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #438
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I am happy with the reveal, but I hope that Jax doesn't take it as gospel. Something else still needs to happen to really drive it home I think.
Unser knows that the Chinese guy was in Vegas (?) when Tara was murdered. They'll surely use that
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #439
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Another great recap from the IMDB guy

Spoiler!
Ouch!

Of course the show does require suspending logic at points, but it is actually more logical to me that "Faux-Marks" would do something stupid. They thought they were smarter than everyone, and that is usually when people end up doing something dumb. I also don't mind we find out that characters conspired off screen. You really need that and I can't think of any series that doesn't implement that strategy at times.

It is the curse of being a final season though, that writers start using some cheap ploys to advance the plot (Breaking Bad still takes the cake IMO when Hank found the book in the bathroom). SoA seems to have just saved it for later instead of getting it over with earlier in the season.

I have to agree though that the scene with Tig getting the greenlight to shoot the AB guy because he insulted him was a little much.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 11-14-2014 at 10:47 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #440
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Ouch!

Of course the show does require suspending logic at points, but it is actually more logical to me that "Faux-Marks" would do something stupid. They thought they were smarter than everyone, and that is usually when people end up doing something dumb. I also don't mind we find out that characters conspired off screen. You really need that and I can't think of any series that doesn't implement that strategy at times.

It is the curse of being a final season though, that writers start using some cheap ploys to advance the plot (Breaking Bad still takes the cake IMO when Hank found the book in the bathroom). SoA seems to have just saved it for later instead of getting it over with earlier in the season.

I have to agree though that the scene with Tig getting the greenlight to shoot the AB guy because he insulted him was a little much.
That's exactly what happened with Walt in Breaking Bad. He had developed to a point that he felt untouchable.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran