The last time I checked, the next season of the Amazing Race wasn't supposed to premiere until sometime later this spring, so I was surprised to see a promo for the March 30 debut.
It looks like Training Day's ratings haven't been as strong as CBS would like, so they're going to burn it off on Saturdays and give the Amazing Race its Thursday night timeslot.
The only downside is that the traditional 8:00pm time slot isn't available, so it will be airing at 10:00pm (one advantage to living in the Mountain time zone is we'll be able to get the eastern feed at 8).
This season's unique twist is that there will be no established teams to start the race. All 22 racers will be complete strangers when the race begins. Unlike the disaster that was the blind date teams a couple of seasons ago, this year's teams will be picked by the racers at the starting line.
It sounds like there will be an initial individual challenge and the racers who finish that challenge the fastest will get the first choice of partners.
In the past, we've always done a draft of teams to give us all someone to root for. Obviously, we can't do that this year. So, I was thinking that if people are still interested in drafting teams, we could basically do what we've done in the past, just doubled.
So, what I'm thinking is...
- 11 people participate in the draft.
- The draft order will be chosen at random.
- In the first round, you pick one racer.
- Once all 11 players have chosen one racer, the second round is a reverse snake draft to pick the rest of your "team" from the remaining 11 racers.
- Once everyone has one team of two racers (which won't line up with the actual teams in the race), we'll repeat everything but this time the 11th person in the previous draft will have the #1 pick.
I hope that makes sense. Indicate below if you're interested in participating by adding your name to this list:
Once all 11 spots have been filled, we can start the draft. If all 11 spots haven't been filled by next Monday, March 27, we'll start the draft with the people who have signed up by then.
Even if you don't want to participate in the draft, this thread will still serve as a discussion thread for this season of the race.