Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #261
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If it drops to below zero for 2-3 days and stays there I would be a little bit nervous. If you have quick access and are really concerned go to your rv and open the taps up and drain the hot water tank out but you should be ok.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #262
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevishot View Post
If it drops to below zero for 2-3 days and stays there I would be a little bit nervous. If you have quick access and are really concerned go to your rv and open the taps up and drain the hot water tank out but you should be ok.
Yeah it should be ok, it looks like only today and tomorrow are cold-ish. It was mostly tongue in cheek anyway, I drained it pretty much dry last time out since I knew it would be sitting for a while.

It's a good reminder though for me to keep an eye on the weather since it's getting to be that time of year again.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #263
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I'm also not going to winterize yet. There is a huge difference between frost, and concern about pipes bursting. If you are done camping for the season, go ahead. I still plan on going out at least once more; so I'll winterize sometime in October.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #264
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

A heads up, the 40W Coleman Solar kit is going on sale Sept 12th for $99.99.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/co...-0112043p.html
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #265
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Hell no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
So I guess I should have winterized my trailer this weekend, ha! Good old Calgary weather.
On 2 weeks holidays and next week camping and shorts, tank top and sun tan.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #266
sparky69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

looks like its going to go down to -10 tonight... going to turn on the furnace in the trailer....
sparky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #267
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

The 19" RCA TV that I have in my trailer is on sale at Superstore this weekend. It's on sale for $80, then they have double no GST on top of that. So with tax and environment fees you are looking at a total price of $80.

I haven't opened that on to make 100% sure it still has the 12 volt input, so maybe ask them to open the box before you buy it.

Then grab yourself a power adapter like this one and you have your 12 volt TV for under $100. (I have bought 3 of these adapters from this seller.)
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 09-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #268
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know of some good/cheap storage near the south end of Calgary?

My parents are selling their acreage so that is not an option anymore and the wife wants to park in the garage in the winter. Selfish eh?

Thanks.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #269
hedge
Draft Pick

Sad day, winterized the camper today. We'll probably still do a couple more trips but we'll just use a water jug.

We were out this weekend to tunnel mountain, not really camping but more as the support unit for my wife as she ran in the Mellisa's half.
hedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #270
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Has anybody tried to reserve at McLean Creek recently? I just looked and I can't find any availability at all; even mid-week in November. Are they not year-round any more?
Old 10-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #271
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Has anybody tried to reserve at McLean Creek recently? I just looked and I can't find any availability at all; even mid-week in November. Are they not year-round any more?
We cancelled 4 power sites in C for this upcomming weekend because we are now going to kook for good weather.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #272
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Hmm, looks like you can't reserve after this weekend. Boo!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #273
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've got to winterize the trailer this week

Question, do I mix the antifreeze with water (dilute)? I'm going to suck it up with the hose attached to the water pump (the extra hose) and close the hose going to the fresh water supply. But thinking about all the length of pipe throughout the trailer makes me think it probably takes a few liters of fluid, more than I have in my jug.

Anything else I need to do besides bring in anything I don't want to freeze, pack up batteries (bring inside) and take off my propane tanks (I'm going to use them throughout the winter on my BBQ so I don't have to refill all winter).

Thanks!
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #274
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't have to dilute the anti-freeze at all. Its already done (at least in every type that I have bought). Don't forget to take out any water/pop and other dry foods that mice might be interested in!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #275
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I drained my my hot water tank and disconnected the pump suction and discharge.

Then I used compressed air to blow out the water lines in the trailer.

System should be empty so no antifreeze for me...except in the traps.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #276
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

I would not dilute the antifreeze. Keep in mind that unlike automotive antifreeze the plumbing stuff does actually turn solid. It just doesn't expand when frozen. So adding water could give you a pocket that actually expands. Unlike a car antifreeze where you would bring the strength down (up?) to -30 from -50, you could destroy it. Spend $20 on the adapter and do it right.
http://www.amazon.ca/Camco-36543-X-P.../dp/B0006JJ588
(Most RV places sell the same thing for around $20.)

And Nufy- I've said it before... a buddy of mine used to do what you do. And for 3 winters in a row he had no issues. Then the 4th winter he found that water had settled in a way that caused him a burst pipe. The worst thing was he found it as he was selling his trailer, and the buyer wanted to see how everything worked.

Spend $20 upfront on the kit and $10 per year after that on antifreeze, and that's it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #277
hedge
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
We camp there in the winter, it switches over to FCFS at some point, I guess it alrready has.My buddies usually pay for the site but I think a ranger comes around to collect but I think you can self-pay using the drop box too.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #278
hedge
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
I've got to winterize the trailer this week

Question, do I mix the antifreeze with water (dilute)? I'm going to suck it up with the hose attached to the water pump (the extra hose) and close the hose going to the fresh water supply. But thinking about all the length of pipe throughout the trailer makes me think it probably takes a few liters of fluid, more than I have in my jug.

Anything else I need to do besides bring in anything I don't want to freeze, pack up batteries (bring inside) and take off my propane tanks (I'm going to use them throughout the winter on my BBQ so I don't have to refill all winter).

Thanks!
hopefully you bypassed your HWT as well or else you'll fill it and that will use 6-10 gallons extra.

I also don't trust air. I put the anti-freeze in and then blow that out but the blow out step isn't necessary, I'm just a belt+suspenders kinda guy.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #279
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm looking at two campers, one is 4 season, the other, the black and grey tanks aren't heated. I would still be camping this time of the year, but not winter camping. So potentially below minus zero at night, but above 10 in the day. Is it worth the extra $$$ to go 4 season?
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #280
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

How much extra?
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote