Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
toquester
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Will The Yotes Plummet?

I have always believed that a lot of success in the NHL can be chalked up to favoritism by the Refs. It should be interesting to see what happens with the Coyotes once the NHL no longer owns the team.
toquester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toquester For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

They may plummet, but not for that reason.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol. Can I borrow your tin foil hat?

In other news, TSN and CBC both hate the Flames and never have anything good to say about them.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

yes, but they'll stay above the Mendoza line.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
toquester
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Lol. Can I borrow your tin foil hat?
It will look nice with those rose colored glasses.
toquester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Pontine
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

You don't actually believe that, do you?
Pontine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
TKB
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think they will plummet but it has nothing to do with the refs......that team is bad
TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toquester View Post
I have always believed that a lot of success in the NHL can be chalked up to favoritism by the Refs. It should be interesting to see what happens with the Coyotes once the NHL no longer owns the team.
I've always believed that a lot of people on the internet would have difficulty passing a Turing test.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yup the refs were clearly favoring them in the ECF when Brown didn't get a penalty for his knee of Klesla. Then when the Kings won the Yotes spoke very highly of the officials and league in their interviews afterwards.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't really agree with the OP, in that I dont think "a lot of success" can be attributed to this.

But there do seem to be occasional outlying cases where his comments do ring true.

Take for example a certain team I can think of, who were such darlings of the league that their entire strategy came to revolve around power plays. This quickly descended into farce, to the point where a dive or an "embellished head-snap" was happening every few shifts.

That anonymous team's fortunes (especially in the playoffs) certainly did seem to alter very dramatically and very, very quickly, when their antics began to make the refs look like fools, and the refs stopped giving them the calls they had gotten used to.

But nothing has suggested to me that this is or will be the case in Phoenix.

I hate the Canucks.

Last edited by BACKCHECK!!!; 10-09-2013 at 09:01 AM.
BACKCHECK!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BACKCHECK!!! For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL.com has numbers on powerplays and penalty kills for anyone to see. Doesn't look like any favoritism going on for Phoenix. Their PP's for and against look pretty proportional.

They are a pretty good team. Good coach, good system, good defence, and hardworking forwards.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It will look nice with those rose colored glasses.

LOL. Okay there buddy. LOL
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Detroit has always had more favourable calls than any team I can think of. Not sure why. Maybe just their style of play.

I have never once noticed anything resembling favouritism towards the Coyotes. /endthread.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
trublmaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
NHL.com has numbers on powerplays and penalty kills for anyone to see. Doesn't look like any favoritism going on for Phoenix. Their PP's for and against look pretty proportional.

They are a pretty good team. Good coach, good system, good defence, and hardworking forwards.
The most boring system in the NHL to watch.
trublmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
I don't really agree with the OP, in that I dont think "a lot of success" can be attributed to this.

But there do seem to be occasional outlying cases where his comments do ring true.

Take for example a certain team I can think of, who were such darlings of the league that their entire strategy came to revolve around power plays. This quickly descended into farce, to the point where a dive or an "embellished head-snap" was happening every few shifts.

That anonymous team's fortunes (especially in the playoffs) certainly did seem to alter very dramatically and very, very quickly, when their antics began to make the refs look like fools, and the refs stopped giving them the calls they had gotten used to.
Montreal?
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every team's fans think the refs are biased against them. The fact is, refs are humans too, and they make mistakes. It's easy for us watching to see the penalty after the fact, and with a multitude of replays at different angles and slow motion. Can a ref be terrible at blown calls? For sure, but that's from human error rather than from any team bias.

Now, I'd be more inclined to believe they do have small biases against certain players. But that could be because of past history with that player (ie. known for diving, embellishing, etc).

So to get back on topic, I think the Yotes may do poorly this season, but I think that has more to do with Mike Smith. IMO, the guy thinks he's better than he actually is. And with this year's goalie equipment reduction, I can see him coming back down to earth pretty quick.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #17
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

If you actually take a second and see the way other teams fall down before the Coyotes, you'll see it always happens in a controlled demolition. THEY FALL STRAIGHT DOWN. You'll also find no evidence of hockey debris in the oppossing teams' dressing rooms. Plus, Gary Bettman (Jewish), owns the Coyotes now and has insurance. I've spoken to several architects and engineers who totally agree with your theory.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Looking at the numbers over 3 years, PHX is 19th for powerplay opportunities awarded and 8th for total number of penalties (not total PIM) called on them.

I also did the numbers for the rest of the NHL teams. Over the last 3 years the Top 5 teams with the greatest amount of PP opportunities given to them are:

1. Philadelphia
2. Montreal
3. Detroit
4. Columbus
5. Vancouver

The Top 5 Teams for least amount of penalties called against them are:

1. Nashville
2. Chicago
3. New York Islanders
4. San Jose
5. Detroit

By these numbers, Detroit would seemingly be the NHL's "favourite" team. The 2nd favorite team based on the numbers I have? Carolina.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #19
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Over the last 3 years the Top 5 teams with the greatest amount of PP opportunities given to them are:

1. Philadelphia
2. Montreal
3. Detroit
4. Columbus
5. Vancouver

The Top 5 Teams for least amount of penalties called against them are:

1. Nashville
2. Chicago
3. New York Islanders
4. San Jose
5. Detroit

By these numbers, Detroit would seemingly be the NHL's "favourite" team. The 2nd favorite team based on the numbers I have? Carolina.
Those two things are not the inverse of each other. Penalties called against do not equal number of penalty kills. There is one common thread with those five teams - no enforcer. Enforcers get lots of PM but most of them don't result in penalty kills.
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #20
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
Those two things are not the inverse of each other. Penalties called against do not equal number of penalty kills. There is one common thread with those five teams - no enforcer. Enforcers get lots of PM but most of them don't result in penalty kills.
You've misread the titles. It is "least amount of penalties called against them" vs "greatest amount of PP opportunities" in response to the question of what teams are "favorited" by the NHL. Teams with low penalties called against them and awarded a number of PP's could be interpreted as "favorited" by the NHL.

Penalty Kill has nothing to do with this.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote