Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #41
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know about Alberta's rates. My BC hydro bill tho varies every 2 months. In the summer it can be 40-60 dollars a month or 120-140 in winter months. We have base board heaters tho. We also have a 2 step threshold after using 1.35 kW per day mark you then start to pay 40% more in rate. It also depends when we use our electronics as certain peak hours your charged more. Luckily tho you can log on the Bchydro site and they show a hour by hour live usage of your meter and projected cost. Its really a balancing act to keep the costs low.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #42
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just curious what the average water bill is for those of you on meters versus those of you who are not?
Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #43
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pay $126 per month for electricity. I use it to heat my small place with a wood stove backup. I have no other bills (except TV, phone and internet) as I have my own well and septic system. I also have no garbage pickup so that makes me take my own to the dump which is $5 a trip.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #44
kaisin82
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Ninja View Post
Just curious what the average water bill is for those of you on meters versus those of you who are not?

yup i would like to know that too! Is meter the way to go?

my aunt had her sprinklers on while holiday for 2 weeks and it cost a whopping $70 for that 2 weeks. Any tips on saving on bills? Seems like most of the people here are staying alone by themselves, anyone with 2 people in the household can comment on their bill?
kaisin82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #45
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good lord I love Alberta.

My wife and I rented a 1.5 bedroom old mice infested hell hole of a house in Ottawa last year and the rates we paid with Hydro Ottawa were mind numbing.

At one point over January our HydroOttawa bill was $700 and during February it was $400. That's with barely any heat on and only one person in the house. Now the biggest factor was that since the house was so old we had to keep a heater on in the crawlspace 24/7 and that jacked our electricity bill, but even without that our electricity bill would have been about $400 bucks that month.

Moral of the story, don't move to Ontario.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #46
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.t.ner View Post
My wife and I rented a 1.5 bedroom old mice infested hell hole of a house in Ottawa last year and the rates we paid with Hydro Ottawa were mind numbing.
Is that a byproduct of the age and condition of the place? I had an old property in Calgary that was an investment property and natural gas costs were mind blowing, but I'm pretty sure it had to do with the condition of the structure and it's inability to properly insulate. I had the place vacant for a couple of months one winter and the natural gas costed around $300 with the thermostat turned down to 18 degrees. The place wasn't even that big (~830 sq ft above grade). I shudder at how much the tenants payed...
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #47
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

My electricity is 125-150 but I live in a large house on an acreage

125 seems like a lot for a condo
Old 09-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #48
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

$55mo for 1000sqft condo inner city no AC