Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #661
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Umm I think you're all forgetting that I'm talking about checking a freaking text message while stopped at a red light.

I think it's pretty hypocritical of all of you to be typing this from your high horse. Surely that's more dangerous.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #662
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Umm I think you're all forgetting that I'm talking about checking a freaking text message while stopped at a red light.

I think it's pretty hypocritical of all of you to be typing this from your high horse. Surely that's more dangerous.
I'm amazed at how addicted you are when it comes to texting. I'm alot older than you (don't text) and can't understand why you couldn't wait until you were parked or at your destination. Does that mean your world will come crumbling down because you couldn't check your texts while sitting at a light
Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #663
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm actually a pretty notorious non/slow-texter. I just don't feel like checking my phone usually, however, when I'm stopped at a red light with nothing to do, I do it. Never even gave checking my phone at a light a second thought and nothing posted in this thread has even remotely convinced me to change that behavior.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #664
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I'm actually a pretty notorious non/slow-texter. I just don't feel like checking my phone usually, however, when I'm stopped at a red light with nothing to do, I do it. Never even gave checking my phone at a light a second thought and nothing posted in this thread has even remotely convinced me to change that behavior.
What will convince you i'm afraid is an accident. If you're focused on looking at texts then your focus is not on driving and the operation of the vehicle itself. Your foot comes off the brake and you hit the vehicle in front of you. And please don't say it will never happen.

The other sad part is your inability to admit that texts control your life.

Last edited by Dion; 09-02-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
T@T
Old 09-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #665
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I agree with polak. You guys are making a giant issue of the concept of checking a text quickly at a red light.

The real problem is texting while moving, but we tend to want to make laws as black and white as possible, much like rules in hockey, to minimize the subjectivity.

I despise texting and driving, so don't mistake me for some kind of softie. Operating a vehicle is something I take seriously. But checking a text briefly while stopped at a red light is not the issue we need to worry about.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 09-03-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #666
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

All I know the world would come to an end for the younger generation if there ever was a massive geomagnetic storm that knocked out cell towers, mass depression, paranoia and even suicide within days for sure!.

Me? I'd go camping and love it that nobody could track me down.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #667
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
All I know the world would come to an end for the younger generation if there ever was a massive geomagnetic storm that knocked out cell towers, mass depression, paranoia and even suicide within days for sure!.

Me? I'd go camping and love it that nobody could track me down.
It would kill the older generation just as fast...
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #668
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
It would kill the older generation just as fast...
Faster. Geomagnetic storms and pacemakers surely don't get along.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #669
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
You sound like someone who defends their drunk driving because they don't actually drink that much and it doesn't affect their skills
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #670
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #671
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
You sound like someone who defends their drunk driving because they don't actually drink that much and it doesn't affect their skills
Wow this thread has officially jumped the shark. We went from harmlessly checking a txt while stopped, standing still, not moving at a Red Light, to being compared to a drunk driver.

fyi, If you want proof that I don't drink and drive you should just look at how much I spend on cabs. Easily +$1000 a year. Ridonk.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #672
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I text at red lights and have had this discussion many times. The best argument that I've heard against texting at red lights is that once you text someone, they will respond when you're moving and you would be compelled to check what they said, even if you don't respond until the next red light.

I make it a pretty conscious effort to not look at my phone while I'm actually driving, but sometimes when it's a plan change or something relatively urgent that affects my route, I do glance at the reply, and that causes me to look at my phone while I'm moving.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #673
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I text at red lights and have had this discussion many times. The best argument that I've heard against texting at red lights is that once you text someone, they will respond when you're moving and you would be compelled to check what they said, even if you don't respond until the next red light.

I make it a pretty conscious effort to not look at my phone while I'm actually driving, but sometimes when it's a plan change or something relatively urgent that affects my route, I do glance at the reply, and that causes me to look at my phone while I'm moving.
You're so ####ed.

Prepare your anus.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #674
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
What will convince you i'm afraid is an accident. If you're focused on looking at texts then your focus is not on driving and the operation of the vehicle itself. Your foot comes off the brake and you hit the vehicle in front of you. And please don't say it will never happen.

The other sad part is your inability to admit that texts control your life.
Is that a serious statement? When you look at a phone does the rest of your brain shut off or something? I just can't comprehend what some of the people in this thread think happens by checking a text for 10 seconds while stopped. Why would checking a text make you take your foot off the brake? The bigger problem I think is the type of person who this would happen to would likely take their foot off the brake while daydreaming at a light just as much. These people should not be driving in the first place.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Swarly For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #675
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You're so ####ed.

Prepare your anus.
Haha. I know, I'm basically a menace to society and should be locked up.

I'm not going to change my behavior. I just think it's a better argument than "I'm gonna let go of the brake because I'm looking at my phone" or "You're worse than a drunk driver".
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #676
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Let's explore these things:

read ads- You mean billboards? That is a head's up move- you are looking at your surroundings instead of down on the phone. There are also regulations and debate about what you can have on billboards.

drink coffee- covered under distracted driving

check on kids- agree that is a distraction. I would argue that is often necessary. What would you recommend- kids aren't allowed in cars? I don't know of a "solution" that doesn't sound extremely harsh

change songs- Every car I have ever owned since the mid 80s had quick access buttons. I would say texting is a closer analogy to reprogramming your radio presets or creating a playlist. Once again, this is more of a "heads up" type of thing to be doing.

fiddle with AC- Same as adjusting radio, you can only do 6 things. Hotter or colder; more or less fan; and vent adjustment (counting that as two as well) The fan and temp are quite simple, and I can do them in my vehicles without looking. I would draw the analogy of you only ever sending 6 different one character texts; without having to read the incoming text. I say that because you are either too hot or too cold, or need the air going a different direction. The latter is often due to window fogging up; or back to too hot or cold. And my dog can tell me if he is too hot or cold. (not complex thinking; like a question in a text.)

So I'd agree there are different distractions, and they have different degrees of distraciveness. Texting is the worst of them. And that's why I want the fine higher, to discourage me from doing it.
Late to the party, but sad no one has given the solution to the bolded already:

I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #677
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Every defender of the 'check your phone at a red light' seems to use the argument 'its only 2 seconds', 'its only 10 seconds', etc. To me, there are two issues:

1) It is never "only 2 seconds" - people are very unaware of how long they actually stare at the phone when performing any type of activity (even just reading)

2) A lot can happen around you in 10 seconds (or "2 seconds") even if you are not moving.

But it doesn't really matter what anyone says - if you've made up your mind that your "2 seconds" is safe, no one is going to change your mind until a major incident occurs. I just hope it's not an incident with me.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #678
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Every defender of the 'check your phone at a red light' seems to use the argument 'its only 2 seconds', 'its only 10 seconds', etc. To me, there are two issues:

1) It is never "only 2 seconds" - people are very unaware of how long they actually stare at the phone when performing any type of activity (even just reading)

2) A lot can happen around you in 10 seconds (or "2 seconds") even if you are not moving.

But it doesn't really matter what anyone says - if you've made up your mind that your "2 seconds" is safe, no one is going to change your mind until a major incident occurs. I just hope it's not an incident with me.
it won't be, as I will be at a full stop with my foot on the break, so unless you are planning to do something dumb we'll be just fine
Old 09-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #679
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Hypothetical situation.

You are stopped at a red light with a crosswalk right in front of you. You look down to check your phone but don't notice someone tripped/fell in front of you, or dropped something and is reaching under your car to pick it up.

Light turns green....
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shawnski For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #680
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnski View Post
Hypothetical situation.

You are stopped at a red light with a crosswalk right in front of you. You look down to check your phone but don't notice someone tripped/fell in front of you, or dropped something and is reaching under your car to pick it up.

Light turns green....
Hypothetical situation:

You are stopped at a red light and you see an amber alert that just went out. You see the car right next to you, call the police and save the day.

but really unless someone crawled right under your car you will see them. Not hard to glance at text/ respond and keep quick glances around you to see that. I know I have to keep glancing around for cops now.