Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #221
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I have tried using my Costco AMEX at restaurants. .. and will let you know when I find one that accepts it. It might be a good card in New York, but pretty useless here. I tried weaseling some sort of a deal our of RBC but I guess they don't want my business that much, so will stick with Aspire. I did order the Scotia one for groceries.
As promised - the Bow River Viet place at Heritage and Elbow accepts AMEX. Good food too.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #222
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caff View Post
A new good promo by Amex for AeroplanPlus Gold card: 30k Aeroplan miles and first year free: https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...ATEg4dAw%3D%3D
Again, if you apply for the card by August 31st, the bonus miles are Aeroplan Distinction eligible, so you can be silver right away.
caff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #223
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

so, what is the best travel rewards card? I would'nt mind lounge access either. The two of us travel internationaly twice a year and 2-4 times domesticaly.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #224
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have any experience with the capital one aspire travel world master card? It looks like a solid return for the money spent and although it has an annual fee of $120, it gives 10,000 reward miles each year (essentially making the annual fee $20)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #225
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the capital one aspire travel world master card? It looks like a solid return for the money spent and although it has an annual fee of $120, it gives 10,000 reward miles each year (essentially making the annual fee $20)
I have it and it's the best of the bunch but I am hoping to find something better. One annoying thing is that you can't ask them to increase your limit (home reno) - they "may" offer you an increase if they feel like it. That AMEX offer a couple posts up looks good but it is AMEX, so a lot of places won't accept it. BTW Yellow Door Bistro takes AMEX.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #226
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
It is a good card, but it is tricky to use the points because the tiered points redemption.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #227
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It is a good card, but it is tricky to use the points because the tiered points redemption.
All I do is only redeem for travel over $600, then it is straight 100:1 points conversion.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #228
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My understanding is that anything over $600 means the points are not tiered, so probably not worth it to redeem if its below $600
Old 08-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #229
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

I got a Capital One Aspire a few months ago and I like it. Just went on a trip to Africa and managed to get $700 redeemed from my flight which then came up as a credit on my card 2-3 days afterwards.

You can also split travel costs up by saying that there's 2-9 tickets. (ie. split a $1200 ticket into 2 tickets each at $600, only redeem one, and you only need 60,000 points to redeem). It's a bit of a pain that you have to wait until it's $600+ or get something in the right tier by fiddling with the number of tickets but the value and ease of use is worth it.

The insurance coverage is pretty comprehensive as well - trip cancellation, interruption, emergency, baggage loss/delay, etc.

Last edited by Torture; 08-19-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #230
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So the wife and I are looking at new cards. We don't have a lot of traveling planned outside of our honeymoon so the Avion card we have right now is seeming useless. We spend about $700-800 on groceries each month (Costco and Co-Op) and she has a large commute for work so we use around $250-350 in gas combined just for work.

Anyone have any experience with the Scotia Bank Momentum or the CIBC Dividend?
Old 08-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #231
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
All I do is only redeem for travel over $600, then it is straight 100:1 points conversion.
Also important is all things "travel" qualify so hotels and all types of transportation can also be credited. I've credited items that have been "close enough" before ($347 flight leg) or have been well over $600 ($1,350 RV rental) and a bunch in between and it's always been painless.

I used "travel" in quotes because it depends on how the merchant has their account set up. For example, RCR has their account set up as travel and as a result one could use points to credit back ski lift passes or even a seasons pass. Free flights are cool but free ski passes are even cooler!
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #232
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Also important is all things "travel" qualify so hotels and all types of transportation can also be credited. I've credited items that have been "close enough" before ($347 flight leg) or have been well over $600 ($1,350 RV rental) and a bunch in between and it's always been painless.

I used "travel" in quotes because it depends on how the merchant has their account set up. For example, RCR has their account set up as travel and as a result one could use points to credit back ski lift passes or even a seasons pass. Free flights are cool but free ski passes are even cooler!
RCR spend is coded as travel? Good to know. I will use my Amex points to pay for ski passes.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #233
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

We currently have the CIBC Dividend and the major downside is the graduated rewards. You get 0.5% back on the first tier of dollars spend and it goes up from there. We actually just applied for a TD travel rewards card and will be cancelling the Dividend card once we get everything transferred.
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #234
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So the wife and I are looking at new cards. We don't have a lot of traveling planned outside of our honeymoon so the Avion card we have right now is seeming useless. We spend about $700-800 on groceries each month (Costco and Co-Op) and she has a large commute for work so we use around $250-350 in gas combined just for work.

I switched to the Momentum Infinite last year have been very, very happy. Previously, I had been a 'strictly cash guy' so it took getting used to using the card for everything ($2 for a Tim's as an example) but tap-to-pay is super convenient and low hassle.

As a result, single guy, average spender, and I'll clear 5-600 this year, after the fee.

If you're spending that much on groceries and cash - the card would be amazing for you. No tiered benefits and you can use it at whatever grocery store or gas station you want....

For those that care, Moneysense has issued their 2014 Credit Card Guide. This year includes a great little 'Selector' tool....

http://www.moneysense.ca/debt/credit...-cards-of-2014

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #235
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those of you looking for a good cash back card Amex just came out with their new SimplyCash card. It gives 5% back on all purchases for the first 6 months (up to $250 cash back) and 1.25% cash back on everything after that. No annual fee and no fee for extra cards. Their preferred card offers similar cash back amounts but has a $79 annual fee.

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...t/simply-cash/
Old 09-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #236
Nabber
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Any feedback on how the MBNA Smartcash has dropped as one of the top cashback cards? I believe Moneysense had it number 1 last year and it's not even on the list this year. 2% on groceries/gas, 1% everything else, I've been pretty happy with it. I know TD has taken it over but the perks still seem good.
Nabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #237
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabber View Post
Any feedback on how the MBNA Smartcash has dropped as one of the top cashback cards? I believe Moneysense had it number 1 last year and it's not even on the list this year. 2% on groceries/gas, 1% everything else, I've been pretty happy with it. I know TD has taken it over but the perks still seem good.

It used to be 3% for groceries/gas and they have monthly limits. Probably the reason for the drop. I still use it, but I believe you can get more out of others cards if you're a bigger spender.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #238
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

For gas and groceries the scotiabank momentum visa infinite card is still king. 4% cash back on all gas and groceries. It's worth it to get the card if you spend roughly $430/month on gas/groceries combined. Anything below that and it's not worth it. $99 annual fee and it gets waived for the first year.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #239
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crap....Costco is dropping AMEX Jan 1. Despite the awesomeness of the 2% Gold card I have, taking Costco out will put a hefty dent in spend on that card.

Costco Wholesale Corp said it will stop accepting American Express Co cards in Canada from next year as it will not be renewing its credit card relationship, which expires on Dec. 31.

“Costco warehouses and gas stations in the United States will continue to accept American Express Cards after Jan. 1, 2015, with the exception of TrueEarnings and American Express Platinum Cash Rebate cards issued in Canada,” Costco said in an email to customers.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #240
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Crap....Costco is dropping AMEX Jan 1
So what are they going to? Don't tell me it's just debit now? Well either way I guess I'll be dropping the Amex.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
credit card , credit cards , rewards points