Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2014, 03:14 AM   #2441
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
But Walt had no idea who Saul was until the second season of BB.

If it's prequelish to BB, then Walt can't really be in the show. Perhaps later in the show it overlaps with BB's timeline and we see glimpses of him? Who knows.
Maybe Walt put one of those airfreshners that make saul's car smell like an 'alpine whorehouse' at the car wash?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:36 AM   #2442
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just finally finished the series and my friends who had seen the finale loved it and said it was great. Personally I thought the final couple of seasons sucked. I hated the white supremacist faction, just annoyed me to know end, including Todd who IMO was a pretty weak character overall. As soon as Todd, his uncle and his uncle's crew became factor it went to ####.

I also very much hated the ending (and the lead up), especially Jesse just ramming through the gates with no follow-up. The stuff around Walter's family was kinda lame. Why wouldn't they be with Marie? She needs someone as much as they do at this point in time and she wouldn't want them living in a dump. The Walter dying part was fine, it is what I expected and IMO should have happened, the only change IMO is Hank should have shot him.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #2443
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^

tsk, tsk, tsk.

Wash your mouth out with soap....No......You should be forced to brush your teeth with peppermint crest and eat a red delicious apple right after!

Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Methanolic For This Useful Post:
Sol
Old 05-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #2444
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am sure Skylar and Marie's relationship was destroyed. Marie probably in part blames Skylar for Hank's death (and deservedly so). It wouldn't be all that surprising if they no longer talk to each other, let alone live together.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #2445
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I just finally finished the series and my friends who had seen the finale loved it and said it was great. Personally I thought the final couple of seasons sucked. I hated the white supremacist faction, just annoyed me to know end, including Todd who IMO was a pretty weak character overall. As soon as Todd, his uncle and his uncle's crew became factor it went to ####.

I also very much hated the ending (and the lead up), especially Jesse just ramming through the gates with no follow-up. The stuff around Walter's family was kinda lame. Why wouldn't they be with Marie? She needs someone as much as they do at this point in time and she wouldn't want them living in a dump. The Walter dying part was fine, it is what I expected and IMO should have happened, the only change IMO is Hank should have shot him.
I do think the episodes after Ozymandis (sp) were a bit of a let down. However with the build up they had, it was impossible and no matter what you did someone would be upset.

But that didn't bug me so much because it was such a ride getting there. That epusode was like my finale. Watching Walt see Hank die, and finally lose it with his family was pure drama and one of the best things I've seen on any screen.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:50 AM   #2446
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I do think the episodes after Ozymandis (sp) were a bit of a let down. However with the build up they had, it was impossible and no matter what you did someone would be upset.

But that didn't bug me so much because it was such a ride getting there. That epusode was like my finale. Watching Walt see Hank die, and finally lose it with his family was pure drama and one of the best things I've seen on any screen.
I agree that was a good episode. And I am not terribly upset, just don't feel like it lived up to the hype I guess. The only finale that ever got me upset/mad was the ending for The Sopranos
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #2447
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree that was a good episode. And I am not terribly upset, just don't feel like it lived up to the hype I guess. The only finale that ever got me upset/mad was the ending for The Sopranos
I loved The Sopranos ending. Lost's finale was entirely rage inducing.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #2448
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

After finally watching this, where do you guys think it ranks all-time? I think calling it the best show ever might be a bit of a stretch but it has to be near the top of the list. How many shows can say they got better each year?
Old 06-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #2449
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Easily #1 for me. Knocked Firefly off the top of my list.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #2450
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

i suppose i got in on breaking bad after the hype train, so was just expecting more. Like most shows the first few seasons were great, but the latter ones got a bit redundant in theme and the story more and more of a stretch. Still fun show to watch.

the show's feel itself seemed to evolve over its span , which seems a bit rare. it started almost as a comedic drama but transitioned to something much colder.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #2451
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
After finally watching this, where do you guys think it ranks all-time? I think calling it the best show ever might be a bit of a stretch but it has to be near the top of the list. How many shows can say they got better each year?
I can only say it is one of the only serial television shows that I have been able to watch more than once from the beginning. Plenty of other serial shows that I loved, but was never able to watch for a second time without losing interest.

Usually people want some time to pass before they anoint a tv show as one of the best, but I can see this being regarded as one of the best several years from now. One of the rare shows that did not go downhill in the latter seasons- arguably improved.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #2452
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How fast did you watch through the series?

I felt the same way, but I think it's largely in part that I watched through everything in a couple of weeks.
I had seen various episodes before, and knew about Fring, Saul, Michael and most of the main characters, but not Todd and his crew.

After connecting with all of the other characters, those guys really just felt like filler to come up with a story line for the last season.

But I think had I watched it 1 episode a week like the live viewers, that might have been different. Those guys would have been around longer in my real world mind, and they wouldn't have felt like such throwaways as they did to me.
One of the things about watching shows in the DVD/PVR/Download age is that you don't give yourself the real world time to mentally digest new characters.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #2453
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I think a good drama has it all. Comedic timing, smart writing and characters that bring you in and you identify with. Therefore I'd put drama above sitcom, or any other type of show.

Best shows I've watched (nt to be confused with favourite)
  • Game of Thrones
  • Breaking Bad
  • Lost
  • Battlestar Galactica

Shows I've watched but haven't figured out their place yet
  • The West Wing
  • House of Cards
  • Orange is the New Black
  • The Walking Dead
  • True Detective
  • The Sopranos

Shows that I've never watched but I believe wild warrant discussion:
  • M*A*S*H
  • Dallas
  • Mad Men
  • Dexter

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #2454
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably top 3 for me, although I'm not sure in what order.

Deadwood
Breaking Bad
True Detective
Sopranos
The Shield
Game of Thrones

All in the mix. Justified tries to nudge its way in (extremely underrated show), Boardwalk Empire, probably some others I can't think of off the top of my head.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 06-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #2455
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget The X-Files, and of course The Wire (which is probably the best of them). There there is Lost, Oz, Buffy, 24, and a few others that would be in contention for my top ten.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #2456
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really have to make a concerted effort to give The Wire another shot.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 06-13-2014, 01:51 PM   #2457
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I won't hedge and say The Wire is my favorite show, but it is without a doubt the best show that's ever been on television (or perhaps any visual medium). I know that's saying a lot, but it's so far above its contemporaries, that it almost transcends the format. Although it could very well be my favorite as well, but for some reason a show that good is kinda difficult to judge in a moment.

Rottentomatoes actually had a good article for it this week. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/1...inge_the_wire/

I liked this comment in particular:

Quote:
Absolutely brilliant show. It is rare that a bit of fiction changes the way you view the world. The Wire uses characters and dialogue to engross you into the workings of the city (both legal and illegal) that are uncomfortably real. There are times you wonder "are these actors? Do they have a make up crew?" The court room is not comfortable or staged. Everything is authentic; you can almost smell the scenes. There are so many lessons to be learned from this great series.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #2458
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Shows that I've never watched but I believe wild warrant discussion:
  • M*A*S*H
  • Dallas
  • Mad Men
  • Dexter
Not even close with Dexter. Season 4 was the only one that really had the show on par with the other great shows in your list, and that was mostly due to John Lithgow. It went so far downhill from there that it was a joke at the end
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #2459
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Not even close with Dexter. Season 4 was the only one that really had the show on par with the other great shows in your list, and that was mostly due to John Lithgow. It went so far downhill from there that it was a joke at the end
Dexter I just couldn't get into. But it seemed like everyone watched it and during it's run it was beloved.

I wouldn't hold me not getting into a show as a knock against it as I couldn't get into Mad Men either.

Although the longer things go the less saying power Dexter seems to have.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #2460
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe Dexter's (the show, not the character) biggest mistake was
Spoiler!

Good, not great, series.

Last edited by Displaced Flames fan; 06-14-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Displaced Flames fan is offline   Reply With Quote