Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #2421
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There has never been a better show than the Wire.

Sitcom, Seinfeld is tops.
But television show? The Wire, all day. Breaking Bad is easily top 5 of all time though.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #2422
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strombad View Post
Sitcom, Seinfeld is tops.
I'm with you with Seinfeld but a huge nod has to go to M*A*S*H
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #2423
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here was Vulture.com's brackets of the best sitcom and drama of the past few decades: The winners being The Wire and The Simpsons. I can't say I really disagree with any of their selections. Although I always thought Frasier was better than Cheers.

Best sitcom
Spoiler!

Best drama
Spoiler!
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #2424
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

My first watch-through of The Wire bored me to tears and made me quit at about episode 7 or 8 of the first season, but I'm giving it another shot from the beginning just because it can't go without mention by people in best ever lists. I simply can't understand why.

Breaking Bad is #2 on my list, with Deadwood never surrendering the #1 spot. Seinfeld will always hold the #1 spot in terms of sitcoms, and there really is no challenge.

EDIT: The fact that Buffy the Vampire Slayer beat Deadwood in the above mentioned brackets makes me want to choke an infant. This is why democracy is such a fundamentally flawed system.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 03-01-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #2425
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
EDIT: The fact that Buffy the Vampire Slayer beat Deadwood in the above mentioned brackets makes me want to choke an infant. This is why democracy is such a fundamentally flawed system.
Yeah, that was my WTF moment looking at that bracket. But I'm only 1/2 way into season 1 of Buffy, so I'll wait and see. I'm guessing Buffy at least got a good ending to their series...
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #2426
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I don't understand why you just don't say Seinfeld.
I'm weird ok
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #2427
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Yeah, that was my WTF moment looking at that bracket. But I'm only 1/2 way into season 1 of Buffy, so I'll wait and see. I'm guessing Buffy at least got a good ending to their series...
There's that, and I think Deadwood was and remains tragically underrated. Every single person I have recommended it to has either liked or loved it, and all of them had never even heard of it. I can't even say the same about Breaking Bad.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #2428
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Well it's not a popularity contest at all, it's just a bunch of critics and writers making a case for which show is better in their opinions. I read a few of their articles, and they are actually very well written. They make compelling cases for why they chose one show over the other. The one on Deadwood vs. Buffy was written by Paul Scheer from The League and How Did This Get Made fame. Here's an exert on why he chose Buffy over Deadwood.

Quote:
Spike’s evolution on the show was astonishing: He started as a supporting character, but thanks to his sly charm, he grew to be the most fully developed character in the Buffy universe. He rose from the dead to co-star on the Buffy spinoff Angel, and has since spawned his own comic book series, which continues his adventures. Hands down, he’s the show’s M.V.P.

But Spike also demonstrates why, in my mind, Buffy ultimately trumps Deadwood. If Deadwood could be opaque at times, Buffy actively invited the viewer in; it was as though Whedon and Co. wanted you to be a member of the Scooby gang from your living room. Buffy yielded a fully living, breathing world where the continuing adventures of characters like Spike never truly die. Whedon knew that the best ending was no ending at all, and in the end, left us wanting what every fan wants: More.
I would agree that Buffy is the better show. Joss Whedon is an amazing writer, and created a unique universe with countless interesting characters and stories. Buffy really established the whole CW/Teenage Drama genre, and while 99% of those shows are terrible, Buffy deserves to be called one of the best shows ever. I never bothered to watch the third season of Deadwood. Some of the performances were just not what I was expecting, and the only character I really loved was Swearengen. I know it wanted to be realistic, but some of the characters just really turned me off. I can see why people love the show mind you, but much like Six Feet Under I found it to be a disappointing experience.

Now if you're looking for an actual popularity contest here is Seinfeld vs. The Simpsons in a complete one-sided massacre. http://yourather.com/207/seinfeld-or-simpsons

I am sort of surprised it's that one-sided, but I guess The Simpsons is more of a broad comedy and appeals to pretty much every viewer, while with Seinfeld it only appeals to a certain subsection of viewership (which is why it rarely beat Friends in the ratings).

Last edited by trackercowe; 03-01-2014 at 05:11 PM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #2429
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #2430
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Simpsons beating Seinfeld in popularity isn't surprising at all. It appealed to a small range of people during it's run while Simpsons has had kids and adults watching it for 25 years.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #2431
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bryan Cranston in Teen Talk.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #2432
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Simpsons beating Seinfeld in popularity isn't surprising at all. It appealed to a small range of people during it's run while Simpsons has had kids and adults watching it for 25 years.
While I agree that Simpsons winning isn't surprising, you're severely underestimating Seinfelds appeal.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #2433
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
While I agree that Simpsons winning isn't surprising, you're severely underestimating Seinfelds appeal.
no I'm not, I'm a huge fan. I'd watch it still if I hadn't seen every episode more than once.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #2434
Barbecue
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bryan Cranston hints that Walter White might not be dead...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...ushpmg00000024

Quote:
“I’m going to ask you, really, seriously, I wasn’t so sure that you died, I really wasn’t," CNN's Ashleigh Banfield said on Thursday night. "Your eyes were open and I thought, ‘what if the police just take him into custody, he gets better, breaks out and just goes nuts?'"

Cranston: “Hey, you never saw bags zip up or anything."

Banfield: “Is he dead?”

Cranston: “I don’t know."

Banfield: “No movie? No nothing? No Walter White ever again?”

Cranston: “Never say never."
Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #2435
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #2436
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post

I can only guess that is Cranston just being tongue-in-cheek playful.

Dead or in prison. Gilligan's word is canon anyway.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #2437
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Isn't "Better call Saul" prequel ish? Maybe there is a cameo in the works or something.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #2438
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbecue View Post

Quote:
“I’m going to ask you, really, seriously, I wasn’t so sure that you died, I really wasn’t," CNN's Ashleigh Banfield said on Thursday night. "Your eyes were open and I thought, ‘what if the police just take him into custody, he gets better, breaks out and just goes nuts?'"

Cranston: “Hey, you never saw bags zip up or anything."

Banfield: “Is he dead?”

Cranston: “I don’t know."

Banfield: “No movie? No nothing? No Walter White ever again?”

Cranston: “Never say never."
Troll Level: Warlock
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #2439
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Isn't "Better call Saul" prequel ish? Maybe there is a cameo in the works or something.
Yes, Mike is one of the main characters, so it has to be a prequel.

From what I've heard, Jesse will be appearing in at least one episode, and a Walt cameo wouldn't be surprising.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #2440
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

But Walt had no idea who Saul was until the second season of BB.

If it's prequelish to BB, then Walt can't really be in the show. Perhaps later in the show it overlaps with BB's timeline and we see glimpses of him? Who knows.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote