Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #2281
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

HalifaxDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HalifaxDrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #2282
Dynamic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Even though Walt got Jesse into everything, the only reason Jesse was alive at the end because he cooking Walts way. I remember at the start when he was teaching a bunch of disinterested high school kids. Jesse, the bad student, actually listened and became a talented cook.
Dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #2283
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
Even though Walt got Jesse into everything, the only reason Jesse was alive at the end because he cooking Walts way. I remember at the start when he was teaching a bunch of disinterested high school kids. Jesse, the bad student, actually listened and became a talented cook.
He actually got Jesse to apply himself in life and to get satisfaction from achieving things instead of just from getting high. When Walt met Jesse, Jesse was already on a slow path to self-destruction. There are definitely 2 ways to look at how Walt influenced Jesse's life. If Walt hadn't become involved with Jesse, there is a good chance that Jesse would already be dead or in jail.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #2284
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
While most focus on Walt's transformation over the series Jesse had just as big of a transformation. Does anyone ever remember Captain Cook complete with vanity plates and his trademark chile added to his meth? The guy who when Walt gave him some money to get a vehicle to cook in he went and spent it on showing off with wild partying?

By the end of the series Jesse didn't want anything to do with being The Man. He didn't want the money. He didn't want the wild partying. He continued to drive around the beat up Corolla even when Walt bought a flashy new car.
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #2285
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw this comment on the Breaking Bad Facebook page:

Quote:
"Breaking Bad was 62 episodes. The 62nd element on the periodic table is samarium. Samarium is used 2 treat lung cancer. Every little detail."

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #2286
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

People talk about how Walt had nothing in the end to redeem him and he was all monster and I don't buy that at all. I mean I think ultimately he did think he was doing it all for the family (and for the recognition of course and ego) but at the end he knew that Skylar needed to hear him admit it was all for him. And he gave her that. (and we're left to interpret whether i actually felt that)
Not to mention the get out of jail card of the coordinates.

I like how in the end, every character; a bit like Game of Thrones, is a shade of grey rather than a non realistic black or white. ALL the characters had their issues and some you hated you ended up liking and some you liked you hated a bit more.
I mean in the end bumbling Saul was even the most smart of them all really and knew when to get out and move on.
Agreed the details are unbelievable.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.

Last edited by Flame On; 10-01-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #2287
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quick question. Skylar's smoking. I'm trying to remember if the mentioned how it used to be. I vaguely recall saying she quit and started up again just after she became pregnant with Holly.

I always assumed that her smoking was the cause of Walt Jr's illness (I honestly have no idea if that's even possible) but could her smoking have been the root cause of Walt's lung cancer? I'd have to rewatch to come up with a theory to agree or disagree but it's a theory I heard today and assume that someone/people here could comment off the top of their heads.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #2288
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Quick question. Skylar's smoking. I'm trying to remember if the mentioned how it used to be. I vaguely recall saying she quit and started up again just after she became pregnant with Holly.

I always assumed that her smoking was the cause of Walt Jr's illness (I honestly have no idea if that's even possible) but could her smoking have been the root cause of Walt's lung cancer? I'd have to rewatch to come up with a theory to agree or disagree but it's a theory I heard today and assume that someone/people here could comment off the top of their heads.
hahaha. what a wacked up show. I can forgive walt for destroying his family, getting Hank killed, wanting Jesse dead, plotting hits against multiple people, and ruining thousands of people's lives with blue meth, but i will never forgive Skylar for smoking in a car with a baby inside!!!
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bertuzzied For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #2289
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

A good post-mortem on the finale on EW.

Quote:
You’ve now had a few minutes to gather your breath, wipe away the tears and start to process that brutal and poignant series finale of Breaking Bad. Whether your predictions were on the money barrel or off-base, you will most certainly want to read what series creator Vince Gilligan had to say about this satiating last-ever episode, which saw the fall of meth kingpin Walter White (Bryan Cranston).
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/30/br...ligan/?cnn=yes
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #2290
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
A good post-mortem on the finale on EW.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/30/br...ligan/?cnn=yes

I refuse to read EW since on their main feed they live tweeted the finale like it was a reality TV show. F*** them.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #2291
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

Pretty sure smoking while pregnant doesn't cause CP (Cerebral Palsy or CalgaryPuck)

I think I remember Marie, when she found out about Skyler's smoking, saying she hadn't done it since she was young. So she might have quit even before she met Walt or got pregnant. Either way, it wouldn't cause CP. I guess it could contribute to lung cancer, but we have no proof she ever smoked in the early or latter years of the family (except when she started back up of course). So Walt probably got it elsewhere. You do hear of non-smokers picking it up every once in a while. Cancer is just as much a genetic risk as it is a lifestyle risk.

If smoking really was part of it, it actually would make more sense Walt's parents smoked around him when he was young. Both for the fact that historically that makes more sense, and medically it would probably do more damage to a child than an adult. We also know Walt's dad died from an illness, though I can't remember what it was, or if they ever mentioned it. As far as the story goes though, we obviously don't know if his parents were smokers.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #2292
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Pretty sure smoking while pregnant doesn't cause CP (Cerebral Palsy or CalgaryPuck)
It is not proven to directly cause CP, but it is proven to cause low birth weights and increase the chance of premature labor which is often a contributing factor to complications that cause CP.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...h-defects.aspx

http://www.cerebralpalsysource.com/A..._cp/index.html
Old 10-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #2293
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Just for argument/clarification I looked up causes for cerebral palsy. This is from the Mayo Clinic's website...

Cerebral palsy is caused by an abnormality or disruption in brain development, usually before a child is born. In many cases, the exact trigger of this abnormality isn't known. Factors that may lead to problems with brain development include:
  • Random mutations in genes that control brain development.
  • Maternal infections that affect the developing fetus.
  • Fetal stroke, a disruption of blood supply to the developing brain.
  • Lack of oxygen to the brain (asphyxia) related to difficult labor or delivery. This is rarely a cause.
  • Infant infections that cause inflammation in or around the brain.
  • Traumatic head injury to an infant from a motor vehicle accident or fall.

So none of those really fall in line with smoking. Maybe the lack of oxygen thing, but it says that's rare, and I would think you'd have to be smoking an insane amount to even get to that point.

Smoking while preggers usually causes low birth weight (which can cause many other problems), premature births, which kinda goes hand in hand with that first symptom, heart problems, lung problems, greater susceptibility to cancer, and yes even low IQ and behavioral and learning problems.

As CP is technically not a disease or genetic condition, and rather a sort of injury brought on, usually congenital, I guess it's technically possible smoking could be the trigger. But I haven't seen any links to that yet in the few pages I have looked up.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #2294
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
It would have been too uncharacteristic of Walt to start smoking meth. Especially in the lab. It was always a sterile environment for Walt. He wouldn't let Jesse smoke a cigarette in there.
Yeah, it was all about the chemistry for Walter White not about what the end product did.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #2295
MikePatton
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Skimmed the last few pages and didn't see this mentioned. But I heard a suggestion that everything was going SO RIGHT for Walt in the finale - so UNBELIEVABLY right that wouldn't it have been interesting if the last shot of the episode had been Walt back in the car from the beginning of the episode? The entire episode just a daydream?

I like the way it ended but I think alternate endings are always worth discussing and this would have been a good one too. Pretty much the opposite of what we got, but just as good.
MikePatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #2296
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePatton View Post
Skimmed the last few pages and didn't see this mentioned. But I heard a suggestion that everything was going SO RIGHT for Walt in the finale - so UNBELIEVABLY right that wouldn't it have been interesting if the last shot of the episode had been Walt back in the car from the beginning of the episode? The entire episode just a daydream?

I like the way it ended but I think alternate endings are always worth discussing and this would have been a good one too. Pretty much the opposite of what we got, but just as good.
or the laziest piece of ####e plot device in the history of television.. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #2297
MikePatton
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

It would have fit thematically. Walt reaps what he sows. The suggestion comes from a very critical article written by Emily Nussbaum of The New Yorker. In her version of the finale, the final shot is Walt frozen to death in the car. The "The Shining" ending.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #2298
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I totally wanted the show to end with Walt on top in his Heisenberg hat, but I was really happy with the way it ended. It probably couldn't have worked the way I wanted it. Alas, I am not a writer.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #2299
MikePatton
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I totally wanted the show to end with Walt on top in his Heisenberg hat, but I was really happy with the way it ended. It probably couldn't have worked the way I wanted it. Alas, I am not a writer.
Walt gets revenge and instead of coming to terms with his fate he keeps trucking along and living the delusion? That would have been alright, I think. The only thing I would say is that I think the show was so plot driven that it almost required a finite ending and that is a little too open-ended.

Or maybe not. I don't know.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #2300
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePatton View Post
It would have fit thematically. Walt reaps what he sows. The suggestion comes from a very critical article written by Emily Nussbaum of The New Yorker. In her version of the finale, the final shot is Walt frozen to death in the car. The "The Shining" ending.
Thanks, I'll have a read but I typically don't read Nussbaum. I feel like she has her status elevated because she's in the Times (which is probably fair) but there are guys like Sepinwall, Greenwald, Poniwozik (thank god I just use google) and even Tim Goodman and Mo Ryan I think produce better work.

Without having read the article and relying on your "reaps what he sows" comment. While I could definitely be onside with the premise, theme and result, that type of execution is pure and utter hackery.