Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #141
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting list at a glance 14-16 Centers out 25 forward invites.
There is going to be a fair amount of Centers playing wing because i can't see everyone of the invited Wingers just being right from the list onto the team.
Boston has a number of duel Centers that also play wing and Ciarelli and Julien are both on the Canada staff.
It is hard to not have 10 of those Centers on this current list not on the team.

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?id=1131
Old 07-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #142
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a big deal for centers to play out of position. More than any other player they should know the other positions. I think people tend to make too big of a deal of players playin out of position (LW/RW LD/RD etc). Even most dmen should be able to play forward relatively well if need be.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #143
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmachine13 View Post
Ahh I see. So I am assuming the 16 hours of ice they booked is simply to keep other potential ice users out of the area then. Good to know.
Likely booked a long time ago, just in case. In less the insurance situation pulls a 180 it's highly unlikely they are on the ice.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #144
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Not a big deal for centers to play out of position. More than any other player they should know the other positions. I think people tend to make too big of a deal of players playin out of position (LW/RW LD/RD etc). Even most dmen should be able to play forward relatively well if need be.
In your beer league, sure. Against the best players in the world? Not so much. C's moving to the wing isn't usually that big of a deal for most guys, but beyond that positions matter, as do the sides you play on. Adjusting to LD when you always play RD isn't that easy, and again, this is against the best in the world.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #145
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
In your beer league, sure. Against the best players in the world? Not so much. C's moving to the wing isn't usually that big of a deal for most guys, but beyond that positions matter, as do the sides you play on. Adjusting to LD when you always play RD isn't that easy, and again, this is against the best in the world.
Yes I understand that, and my point was about the centers, although I expanded it to the other positions. There are rare occurrences of NHL players switchinf from D to forward and vise versa, but it is admittedly not common. As far as switching from L-R (forward or D) my personal opinion is it shouldn't matter enough to see a significant drop in play. Especially in a tournament where you are considered the best. If you are the best LWer in the game, odds are you're a pretty damn good RWer.

Anyways I digress. The main point is having centers playing wing isnt necessarily a bad thing, and in fact could work in your favor as you will have wingers who are more d-concious and more options off draws with regards to handedness and matchups against certain players on the dot.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #146
davidbjordan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I'd like to see more of a mix of styles this time... don't want to see another roster that consists 75% of centres up front. Canada has plenty of great wingers.

St. Louis has to get an invite this time... ridiculous he was left out last time.

Neal-Crosby-Perry
Hall-Stamkos-St. Louis
Benn-Toews-Giroux
Ladd-Bergeron-Marchand

EX: Tavares, Nash.

Keith-Seabrook
Doughty-Weber
Pietrangelo-Subban

Price
Crawford
Smith
i'm losing interest in rick nash being on any team canada roster, i fail to see his ability to play as a linemate, seems to go russian and try to score on his own.

i think at this point we have many better options than rick nash
davidbjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davidbjordan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #147
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Link in German:

@DarrenHaynes_CP: Sven Baertschi, Reto Berra among 48 players invited to Swiss National Team's traditional season kick-off/photo shoot: http://www.swiss-icehockey.ch/SIH/ak...g-anm-2013.php

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #148
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Likely booked a long time ago, just in case. In less the insurance situation pulls a 180 it's highly unlikely they are on the ice.

This saddens 3 people in my house.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #149
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

How people have Tavares as an extra is beyond me. The guy is going to be a perennial Hart candidate for years to come.
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePrince For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #150
meanmachine13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just as an FYI. It has been confirmed that there is no on-ice portion to this camp. There is also NO public access to the arena/hallways/viewing areas/etc. As employees, we arent even allowed to park in our staff lot adjacent to the Hockey Canada arena.
meanmachine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #151
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was looking for this thread this week with no lucking search for it (thanks meanmachine13 for bumping it) as I remember reading somewhere this week that Yzerman said there is 10 locks for the team.

Crsoby, Giroux, Stamkos, Tavares, Toews, Bergeron, Keith, Weber, Doughty, Seabrook, Pietrangelo, Luongo, and Price. Yeah, I know that's more then 10 but those guys should be virtual locks unless something catastrophic happens. Agree or disagree with me in saying that?

And Hockey Canada Olympic media conference tomorrow live on TSN at 3:00 PM for anybody who is interested in that.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #152
ThePrince
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I was looking for this thread this week with no lucking search for it (thanks meanmachine13 for bumping it) as I remember reading somewhere this week that Yzerman said there is 10 locks for the team.

Crsoby, Giroux, Stamkos, Tavares, Toews, Bergeron, Keith, Weber, Doughty, Seabrook, Pietrangelo, Luongo, and Price. Yeah, I know that's more then 10 but those guys should be virtual locks unless something catastrophic happens. Agree or disagree with me in saying that?

And Hockey Canada Olympic media conference tomorrow live on TSN at 3:00 PM for anybody who is interested in that.
I would say Seabrook, Luongo, and Price aren't locks, but the rest should definitely be there.
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #153
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seabrook, Pietrangelo and Luongo would be the 3 I would take off your list as locks but I would say 95% that they are there and they would need to have a horrible first half to the season to not make it.

Price is a lock for me to be on the team but not a lock as starter. Luongo only not a lock because of his uncertainty of what is going on with him in Vancouver. If he comes back and plays regularly I think him and Price will be two of the 3 guys (and one of them is the starter).
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #154
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

fits with what Yzerman said, he said 10 locks then said half the team is up for grabs

can't argue with any of them either
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #155
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget Schultz, he's so much of a lock for the team that they didn't even need to bother bringing him to Camp since they already know he's capable of great things.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #156
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Iginla should definitely be on the team... He still has plenty of game and he will prove it this year. If the Olympics start and iginla has more goals/points than 11 of the 14 forwards they pick, he should definitely be there. This guy was vital in both Canadian gold medals and he deserves the chance to be the only hockey player in Canadian history with 3 gold medals. Canada owes it to him. Alfredsson has never been as good and still isn't as good as iggy and Alfie is a lock to be the 2nd line winger on Sweden at the age of 40. If hall or eberle have fewer points/goals than iggy by december and they make the team while iggy stays home... I'll be cheering for Switzerland.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:57 AM   #157
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Won't be at the press conference due to a conflict, but I'll let ya know if anything comes out of either of the media availabilities.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #158
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Iginla should definitely be on the team... He still has plenty of game and he will prove it this year. If the Olympics start and iginla has more goals/points than 11 of the 14 forwards they pick, he should definitely be there. This guy was vital in both Canadian gold medals and he deserves the chance to be the only hockey player in Canadian history with 3 gold medals. Canada owes it to him. Alfredsson has never been as good and still isn't as good as iggy and Alfie is a lock to be the 2nd line winger on Sweden at the age of 40. If hall or eberle have fewer points/goals than iggy by december and they make the team while iggy stays home... I'll be cheering for Switzerland.
Are you sure you are not watching iginla highlight clips on you tube?

The only way he merits any consideration for TC is if he has more points than others by Christmas, which would be shocking.

Sorry to inform you but iggy is no longer a world class player.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #159
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a feeling Price will end up being the #1 somehow. He excelled in the 2007 World Juniors on international sized ice as Canada won gold and he was named tournament MVP. He hasn't made it very far in the playoffs at the NHL level but if he's playing well when the time comes I would give him the reigns for sure.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #160
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think everyone's judgment on Iggy is a little cloudy here. I don't think we can actually know whether he is still a world-class player. Certainly at age 36 is not the guy he used to be, but he is 1 season removed from a 32 goal season, and 2 seasons from a 43 goal, 86 point season.

In Iggy's worst season, he still had more PPG than the following players:

B Richards
Pominville
Sharp
Krejci
ROR
J Carter
E Kane
Seguin
M Richards
Roy
Marleau
J Staal
D Brown
Brassard
Bozak
Eriksson
RNH
Lucic
Backes
Gaborik
Skinner
Doan
Alfredsson
Selanne
Clarkson
Havlat
Zajac
Bolland
Hartnell
Jokinen

I recognize very few of these players listed are 'world-class', and if they are it has less to do with point production, but I think it illustrates that Iggy is near the top of the second echelon of players...and he may well have potential to get back up there as Selanne has done at even older ages.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote