Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 05-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #41
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
What if the guy buried it In his back yard just to get exposure for his crackpot beliefs?
He probably would have planted an angel's skeleton.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #42
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckin' Rights! View Post
Mathematically speaking, how much water would you get if it rained for 40 days/nights without pause and how much would it weigh?
Well just ask Vancouver in the winter or anywhere with monsoons. 40 consecutive days of rain isn't exactly rare. For floods to occur you need to rain faster than water can drain. You can flash flood a slot canyon with an hour of well placed rain.

So intensity is more important than duration.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:38 PM   #43
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueski View Post
Let's drop the fish problem for a second. Can someone esplain to me how all the oil under our feet came to be in just a few thousand years?
No idea. But we "know" the garden of eden would have been under Saudia Arabia due to all the greenery which would have been converted into oil.

I wanted to ask about Oil sands in Alberta and Venezuela, but I didn't want to open up a can of worms.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #44
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueski View Post
Let's drop the fish problem for a second. Can someone esplain to me how all the oil under our feet came to be in just a few thousand years?
The Lord works in mysterious ways.
T@T
Old 05-29-2015, 07:58 PM   #45
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckin' Rights! View Post
Mathematically speaking, how much water would you get if it rained for 40 days/nights without pause and how much would it weigh?
Well, the heaviest rainfall ever was the 2,493mm that fell in 48 hours in Cherrapunji, India. That's 1,246.5 mm each day.

Assuming the Biblical flood was a kind of magical, never-ending rain, maintaining this peak rainfall for 40 days would result in 49,860mm of rain, or 49.8 meters.

The surface area of the earth is 510 million square km, and because I suck at math I'm going to discount all surface features and assume the earth is perfectly flat, and also nicely square.

This nicely flat square earth would be 2,258,317 meters on each side. This comes out to a volume of 2.5 x10^14 cubic meters of water, which is also its weight in metric tons.

There's probably a mistake in there somewhere which someone who's better than me at math could figure out.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:45 AM   #46
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
What if the guy buried it In his back yard just to get exposure for his crackpot beliefs?
Not sure if this is a serious question or just a sarcastic jab, but this is not remotely plausible.

If these are genuine fossils, they are priceless paleontological/archaeological artefacts that a pedestrian creationist would not have been able to procure in the first place.

If they are fakes, then it would require a level of knowledge and expertise, resources, and also a certain deep insight about evolutionary models of development that a creationist outside of the academy—which is pretty much all of them—just simply does not have ready access to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #47
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
No, because the flood that so many cultures refer to must have been between 10 and 5000 BC this is likely the scenario as Ballard suggests..

Yeah, I've seen a couple of programs saying the melting of the ice caused the sea to rise causing a breach into the Black Sea of waters from the Mediterranean Sea. One said the huge Lake in Manitoba drained into the Hudson's Bay causing the flood when the last ice age ended.

Quote:
The last major shift in drainage occurred around 8,200 years ago. The melting of remaining Hudson Bay ice caused Lake Agassiz to drain nearly completely. This final drainage of Lake Agassiz is associated with an estimated 0.8 to 2.8 m (2.6 to 9.2 ft) rise in global sea levels.[7]
Like a lot of stories in the Bible, the great flood is hugely exaggerated but could be based on some history.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:22 AM   #48
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
That's pretty cool and great for the province. Alberta continues to keep delivering on things like this.

I think the biggest surprise is that there is a Creationist museum there. It would actually be interesting to see what they have there. When I was a kid, we had neighbours that were creationists. I pointed out that the limestone rocks in their house had fossils in them and the father got kind of mad and told me that fossils were put there by the devil to try and lure people away from God.
Out of curiosity, I stopped by when I was in the area last summer.

It's roughly the same size an average sized bungalow. They have a couple "exhibits" ripped directed from the Royal Terrell, as well as a wall dedicated to Noah's Ark and iirc the lineage of humanity through time.

The only employee working there last summer was a young kid studying to become a priest who, not surprisingly, was staunchly against evolution.

It's a... surreal experience
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #49
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
Out of curiosity, I stopped by when I was in the area last summer.

It's roughly the same size an average sized bungalow. They have a couple "exhibits" ripped directed from the Royal Terrell, as well as a wall dedicated to Noah's Ark and iirc the lineage of humanity through time.

The only employee working there last summer was a young kid studying to become a priest who, not surprisingly, was staunchly against evolution.

It's a... surreal experience
a...priest? ...staunchly against evolution? That's a little strange in light of the wide acceptance of mainstream church's of evolution. If he is an evangelical, he was likely "studying" to be a "pastor."

I use "studying" in scare quotes, because it is likely that he is absorbing a slipshod, third rate curriculum that is commonly taught at private confessional schools and seminaries that are unaffiliated with a university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #50
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Yeah it's important to remember that the Catholic church as well as most other large mainstream churches like Protestant, (Lutheran?) don't teach creationism in this sense. It's just the wacky offshoots usually evengelical and/or puritan in nature. They have a ton of names. The easiest way to tell if someone follows it is if they respond 'Christian' when asked what branch of Christianity they follow. Some dont even know or agree that Catholisicm is a Christian religion.

Don't even arguing about the history of Christianity with them. As painful as discussing evolution.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #51
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^^^^^
I know you are just speaking to your own experience. But most people that I have come across who identify themselves as "Christian" prefer to do so because that is what they are first and foremost. They prefer not to identify with every aspect of any specific denomination. Be it Catholicism, protestant, Lutheran, pentacostal or whatever.

I may very well be ignorant of the situation, but I expect your encounters to be the exception and not the norm.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #52
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

^^^ You may be right. Small sample for one person. For me though it's that way for sure. I even remember debating two on here who fit that mold. One was completely unaware that there were denominations of Christianity and the other was the type that 'if you don't believe in the literal word as my group does, your not really a Christian'.

Yup, Catholics are the original group (here comes Textcritic to tell me otherwise I'm sure ), as an organization, but they're not real Christians.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #53
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
^^^ You may be right. Small sample for one person. For me though it's that way for sure. I even remember debating two on here who fit that mold. One was completely unaware that there were denominations of Christianity and the other was the type that 'if you don't believe in the literal word as my group does, your not really a Christian'.

Yup, Catholics are the original group (here comes Textcritic to tell me otherwise I'm sure ), as an organization, but they're not real Christians.
Yeah, I have in laws that identify as Christians. They were originally Catholic but now are into independent churches and lay ministers that are big into healing miracles, literal interpretations of the Bible, the Holy Spirit etc. I think they are very open to being misled but it's not worth arguing about it with them. In most cases they aren't causing any real harm and if it gets them through the day, that's good.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote